Real World Religions

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Nifft said:
Could it be the result of a google search or something? Someone looks for a topic, finds it -- does not see its age -- and replies, thinking it must be alive?

No. There's just a misaprehension that threads ever die at all. Like old gods, they merely slumber, deep beneath the (sea, ice, earth, etc), waiting to be rediscovered, and awakended by a new generation of ardent worshippers...

Henry

Autoexreginated
Umbran said:
Like old gods, they merely slumber, deep beneath the (sea, ice, earth, etc), waiting to be rediscovered, and awakended by a new generation of ardent worshippers...

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Threadthulhu ENWorld'eh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

And as long as the thread can steer clear of Religious fights or slights, and remain civil, I'm OK with it (amazing what was discussed in the olden days, huh?)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
DonTadow said:
Since this is all just fiction anyway, I like the idea of having all three (four?) gods manifest in the image that their worshipers believe he/she should.

That's what I'd do. RuneQuest already does something like this, where you have several different cultures, all with mutually conflicting 'this is how the world began' stories. All of them are correct at the same time. Myths don't have to follow linear time or cause-and-effect.

DonTadow

First Post
Me too, there was one thread yesterday where someone replied with a very bad religious joke and it got wiped. I think the concept of the campaign is interesting if looked at from an objective point of view.

freebfrost

Explorer
Hmm.. I actually used Jesus in a one-shot epic game, and had him statted out as an Overpower - a contemporary of Ao from the Realms (where the party was from).

Basically, I had just watched The Exorcist, which inspired a side plot where Pazuzu wanted to assume Jesus' position, and finangled the party into killing him while he had just emerged from his resurrection and was greatly weakened. In exchange Pazuzu would give them an artifact they needed to save Ao who had been captured by Vecna.

:confused:

Andor

First Post
Well, sad that the op is gone but...

There's two things to consider. One is: Which answer makes sense under whatever cosmology you're using? The second thing is that this question only gets answered if the gods are not only manifesting but also giving out detailed answers. Are avatars appearing on meet the press? All kinds of fun can happen here. Also calamities.

As an aside, Why do so few DMs seem to value consistant cosmologies?

Wil

First Post
Dragongirl said:
4) Have no gods of any kind manifest on Earth. I don't like this last one because I think it is a cop out and takes out clerics as a class.

Why do gods have to physically manifest to be able to channel magic? All it means is that every priest has the powers that were traditionally attributed to saints.

I think that your biggest question should be why would the Christian God suddenly start handing out powers like it was spam email and intervening in the affairs of mortals? It's very out of character for God as he is portrayed.

DonTadow

First Post
WHAT!!!!B 2002. Man here i am thinking i'm offering advice. What would my employers think. Me wasting my time and their dollar on this thread when I could be wasting my time and their dollar on a more meaningful thread

Remove ads