Reaper prepainted minis - how was the result?

Storminator

First Post
humble minion said:
I'm not sure about the economics of it of course, but from an outsiders point of view, a large range of sculpts with smallish print runs and higher individual prices might be the way to go. It's just really hard to believe that enough people (except maybe your odd lazy Warhammer player) will pay so enormously far over the ebay odds for skellies and goblins.

And yet Reaper can't keep the line in stock.

Over the years I've seen a lot of people explain what Reaper should do, and I myself have seen a lot of decisions of theirs I would do differently. But Reaper keeps growing, the money keeps coming in, and they've thrived when a lot of other companies haven't. Those guys are crazy foxes.

PS

Rauol_Duke

First Post
Maggan said:
Has anyone here bought the Reaper prepainted minis? If so, what was your experience?
I have so far purchased the Minotaur, Troll, Orcs w/swords, Orcs w/bows, Skeletons w/spear, Skeletons w/sword, Skeletons w/bow. Overall I was quite satisfied and will continue to buy them. The orcs are the only ones I am less than thrilled with. They are not as sharp-looking as the rest.

Maggan said:
Overall quality?
As good or better than DDM

Maggan said:
Quite a good value, especially when buying the 3-packs.

Maggan said:
Range? (is it a good selection?)
Not a great range, but it's growing.

Maggan said:
Utility? (is it possible to use them instead of or together with D&D Minis)?
I use them for my D&D games interchangably with DDM and other minis. The only downside so far is that their smaller bases make them more likely to be tipped over accidentally.

Maggan said:
Also, does anyone have any information of how sucessful the launch was, and how well the minis are selling? Should we see this as a serious competitor to D&D Minis, that will change how WotC markets its minis (i.e. non-randomised sets)?
No idea.

Maggan said:
I'm grateful for any input.
No problem.

Dragon Snack

First Post
humble minion said:
A large, riderless red dragon would do well for Reaper, I reckon...
Giants, dragons, mounted figures (goblin worgriders, skeletal cavalry, human mounted archers or knights)...vrocks.
... succubi, jungle tribesmen, and a nice big 'Demogorgon'
All available in their metal lines, so all have a chance at being in the LE line.

The Dragon is already being looked into and I bet we'll see a Succubus sooner rather than later, since their 'mascot' is one...

humble minion said:
...I do think they would have benefited from a little more daring and lateral thinking when it came to the way they approached the market.
It's easy to spend other people's money...

Dragon Snack said:
It's easy to spend other people's money...

Very true!

I'm perfectly aware that I'm probably on some level conflating 'minis that it would be good for Reaper to produce' with 'minis that it would be good for me for Reaper to produce'. And hey, Reaper seems to be making money on the things, so they must be doing *something* right!

Maybe in the long run they want to get into more large and complex subjects, but wanted to shake out the glitches in their process with some simpler sculpts first. Going into plastic minis from metal is a big step, technically and financially, and they'd want to get it right before getting too ambitious.

humble minion said:
Maybe in the long run they want to get into more large and complex subjects, but wanted to shake out the glitches in their process with some simpler sculpts first. Going into plastic minis from metal is a big step, technically and financially, and they'd want to get it right before getting too ambitious.

That could be why Reaper started with orcs and skellies first. You don't want to stuff things up from the start and turn people off your product line before it has even begun. By starting with simpler sculpts they could find any bugs in their system and fix them before they moved on to bigger and more complex sculpts.

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads