D&D (2024) REcharge and Rest

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
You play the narrative of the encounters? Because it doesn't sound like you extrapolate the narrative into worldbuilding. The nature of magic and how it is used by the people in a world informs how the world works. It's just logic.

If an actual "Good" caster can heal at will, and they weren't pressed for time, why wouldn't they cure injured innocents wherever they were? It would make no sense not to, and to ignore that suffering is not "Good". But if that is the way magic works, it would change the entire feel of the world. NPCs would be using that same rule system, and every community can heal anything that can get treatment before death.

From an encounter perspective, it also means that the PCs can stop and heal up without spending hit dice, until they were happy, and then get their spells back and keep going afterwards.

And if the PCs are playing by completely different rules, PCs having completely different magic systems than the NPCs, means that there shouldn't be NPCs that share their experience, and no one to learn from.

I guess I am trying to say that I don't like purely gamist RPGs that care only abut mechanics, which is one of the reasons why 4E ultimately fell flat for me (and I played 4E for the entire life of that edition) and I was happy for 5E when it was released.

The fantasy world and D&D game mechanics are two completely different things and should never even attempt to be aligned. The mechanics exist for only one and one thing only... to give the players a game to play. They do not in any stretch of the imagination align to any sort of "reality" within the world. And any attempts to justify otherwise is a person just fooling themselves.

9th level spells exist in the world. WISH as a spell exists in the world. As soon as this becomes known and the methodology for learning and becoming proficient at being able to cast 9th level spells can be learned... any sort of world with any sense of logic and reason would have thousands upon thousands of people learning how to do it each and every year. And to suggest otherwise is silly.

In our world we know how to perform surgery on a person and can save hundreds of thousands of lives by the use of surgery. But do we keep the "secrets of medicine" secret and only have a handful of these magical "surgeons" across the entirety of the globe? No. Not at all. So why would we EVER believe that any sort of cogent game world would have like only a half-dozen people who have ever learned to cast 9th level spells? Especially considering in places like the Forgotten Realms there have been societies and even elves that have lived thousands of years. Tens of thousands of years. All of which time, the WISH spell has existed. And we're supposed to believe Faerun is still stuck in this faux-medieval world? Please. It's stupid and it makes no sense.

So why do we go along with it? Because it makes the game fun. Playing knights and dragons and princessess and magic is fun. And thus we put in game rules that allow us to play all these fun things, even though the logical progression of any of this in "the world" makes absolutely no lick of sense.

So no... we don't limit healing spells in D&D in order to have the world "make sense"... we do it purely so that the game has some tension and risk. And no one can convince me otherwise.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
i think it would be interesting if everything was swapped to a short-rest structure, and i feel like i might be pulling on something 4e half remembered here but, ability recovery taking the format of 'recover X amount of Y resource per Z short rest/rests', unless just starting an adventure it's unlikely that having rested will completely recover everything but everyone is getting something.

hit die aren't spent or recovered but you recover CONx(hit die) worth of hit points per rest, spellcasters have some [insert balanced formula] of recovering X number of spell levels per rest that they can divvy up as they want, so 10 spell levels of recovery could be used to recover 10 1st level spells, 2 5th level spells, 2 3rd and 2 2nd and so on.

you couldn't immediately chain rests together without either say an additional 6 hour period between them or an act of 'reasonable exertion' such as a battle or suchlike

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
First preference. 4e-ish style.

10 minute short rest. And everyone has at least one reason to rest, in addition to spending hit dice.
Fighters recharge action surge.
Rangers recharge hunters mark
Wizards / Warlocks recharge their signature spell.
Sorcerers /Monks recharge their points.
Clerics / Druids / Paladins recharge Channel Divinity
Warlocks and Monks get even more back.
Rogues... recharge poison and smoke bombs maybe?
This would be my preferred solution, even if short rests remain 1 hour. I’d also be ok with rogues being the one class that doesn’t really care about short rests. I rather like their shtick of having action-economy-based resource management instead of rest-based.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
You know know what I've recently realized about 4e recovery mechanics (and encounter powers specifically)? I dislike them only in the presentation they received in 4e. I actually have no problem with an ability that recharges when your character meditates for 1 minute or something similar; I just dislike it when it's framed in metagame terminology like "Encounter Power".

I know that 4e did have an in-fiction justification for how encounter powers recharge (take a minute to catch your breath or whatever). And to be honest, that explanation is good enough for me. But the way 4e put the metagame concepts front and centre (encounter powers, daily powers, etc.) really turned me off the system, such that I never really gave it a fair try.

It's funny how presentation can matter so much for how you receive a concept. If 4e had tried to hide how the sausage is made just a little bit, it might have appealed to me more.
4e encounter powers literally recharged on a short rest, which was 5 minutes.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
You know know what I've recently realized about 4e recovery mechanics (and encounter powers specifically)? I dislike them only in the presentation they received in 4e. I actually have no problem with an ability that recharges when your character meditates for 1 minute or something similar; I just dislike it when it's framed in metagame terminology like "Encounter Power".

I know that 4e did have an in-fiction justification for how encounter powers recharge (take a minute to catch your breath or whatever). And to be honest, that explanation is good enough for me. But the way 4e put the metagame concepts front and centre (encounter powers, daily powers, etc.) really turned me off the system, such that I never really gave it a fair try.

It's funny how presentation can matter so much for how you receive a concept. If 4e had tried to hide how the sausage is made just a little bit, it might have appealed to me more.
This isn't an unusual opinion, I've found. It's kind of interesting, since the 4e design team was aiming for transparency of mechanics, so that everyone could see the cogs and gears doing the work, with explanations for why and how the machine worked the way it did.

Bardic Dave

Adventurer
This isn't an unusual opinion, I've found. It's kind of interesting, since the 4e design team was aiming for transparency of mechanics, so that everyone could see the cogs and gears doing the work, with explanations for why and how the machine worked the way it did.
Right, and I think most people would agree that transparency in game design is a unquestionably a good thing. But you can still be transparent without being intrusive. Of course, what one finds intrusive is a subjective judgment. What's just right for one person might be too much for another.

Remove ads