Recommend me a mega-module or adventure path.

Reynard

Legend
Does anyone have any experience with Goodman's "Saga of the Dragon Cult"? it looks like a few DCCs linked together in an adventure path. But it is a boxed set, which automatically puts it high on the list. :D

Jhaelen

First Post
Dav said:
Check that again--the adventure is from L5 to L10, so you started your players at the right place.
Actually, it's closer to L6 to L12, which also happens to be the level range indicated on it's cover :)

Gundark

Explorer
To answer this question I would need to know a little more about your group.

Do they love dungeon crawls? Kill things and take their stuff.

Do they want lots fo NPC interaction?

Is the group committed to a 1-20 path?

Is your group going to enjoy high/low level play?

I really only have experience with the Age of Worms (AoW). The group got to level 17 before taking a break. The group got to a point where it was too hard/long/compl;icated to play at that level.

Pros and Cons (IMHO)

Pros of the AoW: Very good epic feel, there is a sense of a clamity coming and only the PCs can stop it. Some of the modules are really good, interesting locations, situations. The storyline is well written.

Cons of the AoW: NPC interaction wasn't there. Sure the DM could place that element in there, it would have been nice to see it there naturally. Along that same line there isn't any long term villians for the PCs to hate. A little in the beginning with one mine owner, however he is really only in the background. Another item except for a few modules the adventures are one Dungeon crawl after another. Gets a little old after awhile, espically at high level.

Voadam

Legend
I haven't read through all of them but there is:

Dungeon Interludes by Goodman games, linked mini adventures for levels 1-12 but needs some intervening adventures to fill a few level gaps.

Shades of Gray by Necromancer, 1-12 deals with disease fiends I think.

Coils of Set by Necromancer 1-12 deals with machinations of Set ending in time travel for the last third.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

I'm running the Banewarrens at the moment in the Forgotten Realms and it's a great adventure with a good combination of dungeon-crawling and city-based stuff. You don't need the Ptolus book, but I've found it's made the adventure better.

I'm also about to start running Red Hand of Doom, set in what was meant to be its original location in the Shining South of the Forgotten Realms. There's some player's background stuff here

All three Dungeon adventure paths look good but I think they would take more than a year to complete.

Cheers

Richard

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
diaglo said:
all of the megamodules/adventure paths have an element of railroading. it is the assumption that the party will continue down the path to the completion.

i really enjoy refereeing the Giant, Drow series. i start off with elements of underling monsters in things like B1 In Search of the Unknown or B2 Keep on the Borderlands or T1 Village of Hommlet

and then add more powerful bosses or themes as the PCs lvl. so by say lvls 4-5 they are ready for the A series. then roll into the G series.

Do you do that with D&D or do you switch to AD&D for that adventure track, diaglo?

S'mon

Legend
Reynard said:
Does anyone have any experience with Goodman's "Saga of the Dragon Cult"? it looks like a few DCCs linked together in an adventure path. But it is a boxed set, which automatically puts it high on the list. :D

I have & like Legacy of the Savage Kings, one part of this. Its "warped, corrupted nature" theme is very non Old School Classics though, more of a post-'80s type thing.

Reynard said:
I am considering running Expedition to Demonweb for my group, but before I do any purchasing I wanted to check here and see what other mega-modules get the thumbs up from ENWorlders. We play about monthly for 6 to 8 hours and want something that will last a year. The mid-level sweet spot (5th to 12th ish) is preferable, and the less railroady, the better.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: It doesn't have to be WotC or Paizo. If it is good, 3.5 compatable, and doesn't require a huge investment in setting material, it's worth mentioning.

Coming out within a month is The Mad King's Banquet, the fourth adventure of the War of the Burning Sky campaign saga, designed for characters starting at 7th level. The saga is designed so you can use the 4th adventure as a starting point if you don't want to begin at a lower level.

In this adventure, the heroes seek the aid of the King of Dassen, the nation in which lies the rebellion's main base of operations. An army of the Ragesian Empire (the main villains of the campaign) is preparing to march to that base and destroy the resistance, and if the heroes cannot win the king's favor they will have no defense. But the nation of Dassen is near splintering and turning upon itself, and the heroes will have to fight a war of their own before they can hope to save the rebellion.

Political intrigue, massive combat, and mysterious monsters lurking unseen -- it's the campaign in microcosm. I suggest you take a look.

Remove ads