• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommendations needed for a new system for an Old DM

Modoc

First Post
Ok!

Thanks to all for all great suggestions. I have some research to do. lets change this up a bit.

What would be some good pbp or other online venues to play some of these games. I know of one well supported and well used pbp site, Myth-Weavers. Looking for similiar suggestions.

Moggthegob

First Post
I am going to have to join those who cal for Castles and Crusades, its cheap(40 buck for the two core rulebooks) and very easy and fun to run.

GreatLemur

Explorer
Modoc said:
Like many of you I do not want to buy books, print or PDF, to find out the system sucks (I know this is personal interuptation) or to find out I have no players or venue through which to play the game.
Might want to take a look at the Spirit of the Century SRD, then. Maybe send the link out to potential players, too. Another way to learn about the game would be to listen to some other folks play it: I believe both the Gamemaster Show and the Rolemonkeys have recorded podcasts of SotC gameplay.

Last edited:

Breakdaddy

First Post
SavageRobby said:
These are my two favorite systems. Both are light, fast, fun systems with a good message board community, and both excel at letting you focus your DM prep time on the creative parts, not the mechanical bits. Savage Worlds is a multi-genre game, while C&C is definitely rooted in fantasy (and very AD&D-ish).

Yes indeed! Savage Worlds for my ALIENS-universe games and my Modern Ops games and C&C for most of my fantasy stuff. Also Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay when I want gritty fantasy.
The new Savage Worlds explorer's edition is the complete Savage Worlds game for 10 dollars! You can't beat that and the system is great fun.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I'd be looking first at what kind of campaign(s) you want to run. And maybe what your players are into, too. ;)

But really, that's the best place to start, IMO. Once you have that, there are a ton of systems out there, one or a few of which could be just right.

Modoc

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
I'd be looking first at what kind of campaign(s) you want to run. And maybe what your players are into, too. ;)

But really, that's the best place to start, IMO. Once you have that, there are a ton of systems out there, one or a few of which could be just right.

My players like the fantasy D&D games we play. I on the other hand am looking to get into other things. Whether I run a game or play in a game, either is fine; that is why I put the caveat in that a pbp game is probally best.

smootrk

First Post
Seems like your first post is being misunderstood, and folks are offering up lots of modern & future stuff.

If you would actually like a future alternative, that is fast, easy, and very fun... try Star Frontiers. The materials are now available as free pdfs, so there is no cost as well. Visit www.starfrontiersman.com and check out some of the extras while you are there.

My personal opinion after the rules/material bloat of D&D is to get into stuff that is most definitely rules-lite.

Remove ads