• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommendations needed for a new system for an Old DM

buzz

Adventurer
Ceresco said:
For a new rules system I reccommend looking at Burning Wheel. I've yet to run it but I like the system as I read it. I especially like the Life Paths.
Modoc said:
In the way of pulp based fiction I'm liking: Spirit of the Century (I like the narrative style)
Burning Wheel and Spirit of the Century are, IMO, the two best RPGs currently in print, period. Pick up those two, start playing, and all will be well. They both have active fanbases that are more than eager to help you.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
I was going to suggest WitchCraft, but I see you've already tried it.

If you're only interested in a new rules system, try FUDGE or Savage Worlds. FUDGE is free to download, and Savage Worlds is only $10 now for the core rulebook.

http://www.fudgerpg.com/
http://www.fudgefactor.org/ for ideas on how to use the FUDGE system to run various kinds of games

http://www.peginc.com/ Publishers of Savage Worlds.
http://www.amazon.com/Savage-Worlds-Explorers-S2P10010-Staff/dp/0979245567 Amazon.com listing for the $10 Savage Worlds rulebook

As far as PBP goes, I'm afraid I don't really know of anything about it.

Modoc

First Post
These are some great suggestions. Based on some of the input I have recieved, I have formulated a list of games systems I want to further investigate.

1. Spirit of the Century
2. Savage Worlds
3. C&C
4. GODLIKE (from another thread)
5. Burning Wheel

Keep the suggestions coming. I am sure I am not the only benefiting from this thread.

italianranma

First Post
maddman75 said:
Exalted. Its an epic fantasy game. There's some anime inspiration (and artwork) but I see more classic myths and legends in it myself. There's an awful lot of Beowulf, Achilles, and Odysseus in here. In the default game the PCs are Solar Exalted, chosen champions of the Unconquered Sun, greatest of the gods. They were the kings and lawgivers of old, able to defeat armies single handedly and bring peace to warring nations with a word. But they were betrayed and their divine essences trapped for ages. The betrayers took over Creation and taught the common folk that they were demons, monsters, and tyrants. But now their Empress has vanished, Deathlords with armies of undead have emerged from the underworld, and the Fair Folk (insane Cthulhu elves) encroach from beyond reality. And the Solar Exalted are returning. These are the PCs in this game, lost heroes of a forgotten age, and the only ones who can save all of Creation.

Lemme throw in my two cents about this game: first off it's awesome. Simply awesome. What does your player want to be? The Immaculate Sword Goddess who does things unimaginable with her weapon? The Pirate Commodore who commands a fleet of pirates so terrible even the Great Sea acknowledges his power? How about the ultimate Prophet, forewarning of the second coming of the Unconquerable Sun? You can make each of these characters at creation. There are rules for it. And they're simple rules, based on a 1 through 5 dot system.

You can get by with just the main Exalted book. If you're going to DM it, you may want to pick up the dragonblooded book and one of the setting books. There's a lot of stuff out there for the game, and the scope of your storytelling is going to be huge, like Epic level D&D stuff. That being said there are a few bugs in the book: Some weapons and equipment is simply superior to others. The Social Combat rules are a little cluttered and unnatural. There's no such thing as 'challenge rating' so your first few combat encounters are going to be eye-opening. Something like 5 average guards can take down a character who doesn't have much in the way of combat.

Finally, the game is such a mix of genres that 'Anime' may best describe it. You can run any kind of game imaginable, including Mech combat. If you don't want to have anything to do with Mechs in a fantasy setting, that's cool too. The Setting is very very open, and doesn't enforce anything on you. Points of light in a dark world takes on a whole new meaning in the frontier of the Wyld. The game may take a few weeks to learn, so keep that in mind. But really as a player I've never had more fun in any kind of tabletop RPG.

buzz

Adventurer
w_earle_wheeler said:
If you're only interested in a new rules system, try FUDGE...
FYI, Spirit of the Century is based on FATE, which is basically FUDGE with the awesome turned up to 11. :)

Tone Cold

First Post
At the risk of sounding biased, I'll recommend the Revised Edition of The Chronicles of Ramlar from White Silver Publishing. The Demeanor/Theme system for roleplaying your character's advancement and goals has been popularly praised in reviews. The Momentum mechanic keep players interested in combat and encourages teamwork; "tactics" come from your narratives rather than hardcore number-crunching. The magic system lets you improvise any spell on the fly, enlarge the area, lengthen the range, do more damage, etc. It now has a freeform Expertise system to express a character's unique qualities, skills, and concept however you like, with "stunts" to temporarily stretch their boundaries (for example, using "Singing" to defeat an arcane lock, or "Overweight" to pick up barmaid). The game system offers options in three flavors: Heroic, Adventurous, and Mortal for you to mix-n-match.

Follow this link if you'd like to know more: www.whitesilverpublishing.com/ramlar/spip.php?article2

Last edited:

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
buzz said:
FYI, Spirit of the Century is based on FATE, which is basically FUDGE with the awesome turned up to 11. :)

Very cool. I have seen Spirit of the Century mentioned several times, but I didn't know it was based on FATE.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Try the Window, which you can download for free here (see "The Madness" section of the site). I recommend the free modern horror plug-in "The Stage" (also available at the same site). The only other things that you'll need, if you don't have some already, are 30-sided dice. And, hey, it's free -- if you don't like it, you're out exactly ZERO dollars. Also, check the file section of the Window Yahoo Group for free rule variants, the Deluxe Edition of the rules, and alternate genre settings (including a full fantasy setting, Shadowrun conversions, etc).

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Modoc said:
The Window just didn't do it for me.

Out of curiosity, did you read past the introduction? If you didn't, you haven't really given it a fair shake -- that said, if that's the case, I can't say as I blame you. I hate that self-important introduction and have lobbied to get it dropped from the Deluxe Edition (sadly, to no avail). I think that said intro is the single largest hurdle that the system has to overcome in terms of appealing to a larger fanbase. Leaving it in subesequent revisions does nothing but cripple the game in that regard, IMO.

Last edited:

Remove ads