• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommned a Master of Magic - like game

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
So, I've been playing WoW pretty exclusively for the past two years. Now that I have a couple characters up to level 60, about the only time I play is with my regular Monday night group.

What this means is that I'm looking for a new game, and I'm very much out of the loop as to what has gone on in the PC world in the last 24 months.

What I'm looking for is something akin to Master of Magic. Does such a thing exist? For those that don't know, MoM was basically a fantasy version of Civ with tactical combat. I loved that game...

I'm also looking forward to Battlefield 2142.

Anything else of particular note that I should take a look at?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
The only thing even remotely like MoM is the Age of Wonders series. Especially the 2nd one, which is kinda Mom like, since a lot of people dissed the first one for not being MoM enough. (The original is kinda a combo of all fantasy turn based games)

Dracomeander

First Post
I'd have to agree that Age of Wonders series is the closest you'll find to Master of Magic, particularly AoW Shadow Magic.

If you pick up the unnofficial 1.4 patch off the web, it even has a routine for creating random world maps to play on.

If you liked MoM because it was like Master of Orion, and you don't mind sci-fi instead of magic, then Galactic Civilizations is the game for you. Not a perfect successor to MOO, but a darn good game anyway.

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
Joshua Randall said:
If you liked MoM because it was like Master of Orion, and you don't mind sci-fi instead of magic, then Galactic Civilizations is the game for you. Not a perfect successor to MOO, but a darn good game anyway.
How does GalCiv I compare to GalCiv II?

I was a big fan of MoO 1 and 2, but MoO 3 left me cold. I was hoping that GalCiv I would satisfy my MoO craving (which I still play MoO 1 and 2), but GalCiv I was not for me. It just left me cold.

Is GalCiv II more MoO like?

And I think the thing that I liked best about MoM is that it combined the best features of Civ II with the best features of MoO and wrapped it all up in a yummy fantasy setting.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Gal Civ 2 actually reminds me more of Ascendancy than anything else.

The expansion for it seems like it will make the gameplay somewhat more Moo-2 like, which the addition of planet environment types.

Bonzi

First Post
I'd also check out Dominions 3. Not an exact clone or anything, but something that might appeal to D&D fans who like strategy games. Graphics aren't that great, but the depth is impressive. There's a demo available as well.

Aurora

First Post
I still play Master of Magic. I freaking love that game! I keep an old computer around just so I can run it better :) I guess I'll have to check out some of the ones you guys have suggested. :)

LiKral

First Post
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is well worth checking out if you like MOM. It has a similar fantasy setting. It is a very tactical turn-based strategy, simple to learn, but with a lot of strategic possibilities. It is not quite like CIV, being based around scenario maps rather than empire-building, but is still satisfying in a similar way. It's super-addictive!

The HOMM series is up to 5 now, but if you have not played any of the others, 3 is most representative. 4 and 5 lose the plot a bit, and 1 and 2 are a bit old and creaky round the joints. HOMM 3 is very easy to find in the cheap section of any game shop.

Age of Wonders is really a lot like MOM, but I just couldn't get into it. YMMV.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads