Recosting Magic Items in MIC = Blatant Power Creep...er..Power Charge?

Aaron L

Hero
This looks very promising, and makes me want to buy this book even more. Looks like I've found my first D&D book worth scraping together the money to buy since PHB II.

Every excerpt and article about makes it look better and better. Maybe I'm actually going to have to take a craft feat for my Duskblade, now...

mmadsen

First Post
Kunimatyu said:
Or it could cause players to buy things other than +stat of blah, which might even drop the power level a little.
Well it can't drop the power level, but it can bring some less common items into play. Ideally the book would be able to raise the cost of boring-yet-effective items, while dropping the cost of interesting-but-less-effective items, but we know players won't stand for that.

takasi

First Post
Dire Bare said:
Are you serious? Games designed around rope skills and the art of torchbearing?

Games designed around implies that that's all the campaign has to offer. I'm talking about dungeon crawls in caves with multiple levels for climbing up and a character or two who has invested in use rope.

"Art of torchbearing" is not what I said. If you take sunrods out of the game, first level characters do not want to move around the dungeon with a torch in their hand. It adds a tiny amount of extra strategy to the game, and makes it more likely the party will hire a porter (which can be fun).

rowport

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Ah yes, I remember the R series of 1E modules very well: R1, The Lost Rope of Cadell, R2, The Rope of the Reptile God, R3, Castle Rudens. It all went to hell in a handbasket when TSR repackaged them all together as R 1-3, Go Piss Up a Rope, but the original duotone cover ones were classics.

The TB series, I remember it well ...
LOL Freakin' awesome. Laugh point to you, Whizbang. :lol:

hong

WotC's bitch
takasi said:
Games designed around implies that that's all the campaign has to offer. I'm talking about dungeon crawls in caves with multiple levels for climbing up and a character or two who has invested in use rope.

Someone wants to invest in Use Rope, that's their lookout. Personally, I prefer Craft (basketweaving).

"Art of torchbearing" is not what I said. If you take sunrods out of the game, first level characters do not want to move around the dungeon with a torch in their hand. It adds a tiny amount of extra strategy to the game, and makes it more likely the party will hire a porter (which can be fun).

For certain values of "fun".

Remove ads