• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recosting Magic Items in MIC = Blatant Power Creep...er..Power Charge?

VirgilCaine

First Post
takasi said:
Correct. You can hold one in a light shield hand, but not with heavy or two handed weapons. With a glowrod you can just stick it in your belt.

No, I meant "mount" as in using some sort of sconce or something or magic glue to attach the torch to my shield.

That is incorrect. The goal isn't to force hiring a torchbearer, but to make it slightly more advantageous, especially at first level. Or you can wield a torch, but is slightly less convenient than a sunrod.

I find having to hold a light source very inconvenient. Either you have your weapon ready or you have a torch or (more likely) a lantern out.

Having to babysit someone whose job is to hold a torch (and since I'm 1st level, I'm probably not hiring anyone who can actually fight) and who probably isn't wearing armor is a recipe for bringing 175 pounds of dead torchbearer back to town.

Vanuslux

Explorer
The only time I let character's "buy" magic items with any kind of freedom is at character creation with their starting funds. Beyond that, I have complete control of what magic items become available to the PCs. That takes care of much of the problem in both the issue of power balance and the issue of quirky/interesting items being replaced at the drop of a hat for something better.

takasi said:
Yes, Blatant Power Creep is an oxymoron. Power Charge?

I know the book's not out yet, but it sounds like readjusting the cost of magic items could open a floodgate of more powerful players.

What items were recosted? Some were too expensive for what they did. Bracers of Armor for example. Yeah, I'm realy going to buy bracers of armor +3 instead of my free mage armor.

Sir Brennen

Legend
ehren37 said:
What items were recosted? Some were too expensive for what they did. Bracers of Armor for example. Yeah, I'm realy going to buy bracers of armor +3 instead of my free mage armor.
Mage armor can be dispelled, which IMXP, happens often enough to warrant the bracers. Also frees up a slot for another Magic missle spell ;)

The article hinting at recosting is a Design and Development piece discussing the MIC, here. First of a series. This definitely makes me more interested in the book, though I'm sure whatever decisions they make will fuel endless msgboard debate.

green slime

First Post
Nightfall said:
I'd still want a nose ring or two.

You telling us the scarred lands humans have two noses?

Next you'll tell us there are stud slots for various body parts; lip (4), tongue (1), Eyebrow (2), cheek (2), nipple (2), navel (1), "sexual organ" (1), ...

green slime

First Post
ehren37 said:

Really? Why not?
1) Bracers are always on.
2) a pair of dispelled bracers is only a minor nuisance.
3) Bracers can be upgraded. Therefore represent a minor initial outlay for what is a longtime investment.

Sir Brennen said:
Mage armor can be dispelled, which IMXP, happens often enough to warrant the bracers. Also frees up a slot for another Magic missle spell ;)

Unless the dispel is targetted, it hits one effect. And anyways, the dispel still needs to overcome caster level. Its not a sure shot. I'd rather have 9 1st level pearls of power over bracers +3 any day of the week. Reduce the cost by 25% and it would be a tougher choice. Particularly with mithril shirts of twilight, abjurant champion, greater mage armor etc, a flat armor bonus isnt all its cracked up to be.

Raising the caster level (particularly of of charged items) is another thing that should be looked at. A wand of cure light wounds that casts at 2nd level (d8+2) costs twice as much as one that casts at 1st level (d8+1). IMO, its just not worthwhile.

The article hinting at recosting is a Design and Development piece discussing the MIC, here. First of a series. This definitely makes me more interested in the book, though I'm sure whatever decisions they make will fuel endless msgboard debate.

Thanks for the link!

Last edited:

green slime

First Post
ehren37 said:
Raising the caster level (particularly of of charged items) is another thing that should be looked at. A wand of cure light wounds that casts at 2nd level (d8+2) costs twice as much as one that casts at 1st level (d8+1). IMO, its just not worthwhile.

Not for a wand of CLW. But there are other wands that are more worthwhile raising the caster level.

Remove ads