Recosting Magic Items in MIC = Blatant Power Creep...er..Power Charge?

Belen

Adventurer
My only problem with the article is the expressed acceptance that people buy magic items. I think lower costs are cool. Hell, I have argued for a long time that magic weapon prices were too high.

Overall, it's an ok article, but pushing a certain play style is not cool with me.

green slime said:
Not for a wand of CLW. But there are other wands that are more worthwhile raising the caster level.

Yes, mostly damaging wands. My point still stands that raising the level of non-combat wands is stupid expensive for what you get.

green slime

First Post
ehren37 said:
Yes, mostly damaging wands. My point still stands that raising the level of non-combat wands is stupid expensive for what you get.

We've found that wands of Protection from Energy are quite useful to raise: raising it affects both duration, and the amount of protection offered.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Belen said:
My only problem with the article is the expressed acceptance that people buy magic items. I think lower costs are cool. Hell, I have argued for a long time that magic weapon prices were too high.

Overall, it's an ok article, but pushing a certain play style is not cool with me.
It's not just about buying magic items. A change to pricing also affects item creation, which matters even in settings without the ability to purchase pre-made magic items.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Green,

Well no...but anything is possible. ;) I just figured you can fit a nose ring in each nostril.

D. Shaffer,

Glad to see I'm not the only one that misses that.

*might let PCs BUY magic items but generally at great expense* Well in the Scarred Lands. Elsewhere...meh.

Felon

First Post
If we're talking about the web article that I think we're talking about (the OP provides no link to anyting), I don't recall there being an explicit statment that items would be recosted. They may find an indirect way to approach the issue.

As to the rope of climbing, it seems some folks are commited to snide responses, but there certainly are many non-combat challenges that a rope of climbing can help a party circumvent with little trouble (White Plume Mountain has a prime example or two). It pretty handily renders both Use Rope and Climb obsolete, and not just for the possessor but for the whole party. For the character who invested in either of those skills, there's legitimate cause for major buyer's remorse once that item's acquired (and having a character experience remorse over a magic item's acquisition is counter-productive). Making the item expensive is the only thing that really puts a control on the issue.

The DMG lists the cost at 3,000 gp. That's a little expensive to buy, but not so valuable that it's worth selling instead of keeping considering its utility. A character will earn hundreds of thousands of gp throughout his career, while his available ranks in skills is much more limited. I wouldn't say it's too cheap, but I sure wouldn't say it's too expensive.

The same can be said of many items. Almost any skill can be rendered a moot investment with something in the MIC. So, go ahead and let the players stick to the "big six". Those things at least synergize with their owners' abilities, rather than eclipsing them.

Last edited:

green slime

First Post
Felon said:
The same can be said of many items. Almost any skill can be rendered a moot investment with something in the MIC. So, go ahead and let the players stick to the "big six". Those things at least synergize with their owners' abilities, rather than eclipsing them.

My very same concern when it come to magic items, spells, and indeed all magic: the ability to completely supercede any skill.

Felon

First Post
green slime said:
My very same concern when it come to magic items, spells, and indeed all magic: the ability to completely supercede any skill.

Yep, I hope DM's who introduces lots of items of character-mooting into his campaign is open to the idea of character respecs.

"Sure, it sucks you made your character a super-climber...but, y'know, just wait until the party winds up in a big AMF. You'll be the star!"

Sir Brennen

Legend
Felon said:
If we're talking about the web article that I think we're talking about (the OP provides no link to anyting), I don't recall there being an explicit statment that items would be recosted. They may find an indirect way to approach the issue.
I posted a link to the article a few posts back.

As to the rope of climbing, it seems some folks are commited to snide responses, but there certainly are many non-combat challenges that a rope of climbing can help a party circumvent with little trouble (White Plume Mountain has a prime example or two). It pretty handily renders both Use Rope and Climb obsolete, and not just for the possessor but for the whole party. For the character who invested in either of those skills, there's legitimate cause for major buyer's remorse once that item's acquired (and having a character experience remorse over a magic item's acquisition is counter-productive). Making the item expensive is the only thing that really puts a control on the issue.

The DMG lists the cost at 3,000 gp. That's a little expensive to buy, but not so valuable that it's worth selling instead of keeping considering its utility. A character will earn hundreds of thousands of gp throughout his career, while his available ranks in skills is much more limited. I wouldn't say it's too cheap, but I sure wouldn't say it's too expensive.

Yes, the Rope is very handy. But that's just one of many utility items, some of which get more play than others. You could probably come up with a list of the "Little Six", the most common items after Things That Give a Bonus. Rope of Climbing would probably be there, as would a Bag of Holding, Haversack, Flying Something or Other, ect.

Note that one of the reasons that a Rope of Climbing makes a good counter example is that it doesn't take up a slot. Compare it to a Cloak of Displacement (example in the article) to a Cloak of Protection +5. Which would you choose for the Cloak slot?

Also, at lower levels, which would you rather get with 3000gp? +1 Armor and a +1 Weapon, or the Rope of Climbing? Sure, higher levels you'll have the gold for both, but at higher levels, a party will have better Climb and Rope Use skills, or spells to aid in getting around or binding opponents.

I hope the MIC adjusts the price for adding multiple abilities to slotted item, so I can have my Cloak of Protection and Displace it too!

Last edited:

Remove ads