Recruiting: DT's Sword and Sorcery Campaign (BECMI/Wilderlands)

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Hmmm... I think it is safe to say that your character is street-wise, meaning that she probably has an ear on the going-ons of the city, has difficulty getting lost in an urban area, and just has a knack for understanding town-folk. In such a setting she would be a good character to collect rumors, be the diplomat of the party, and find her way around.

That sounds good to me. I imagine in her position she would have heard some interesting secrets :)

When are you looking to start?

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Well, I still need people to flesh out the details of their characters, so we are not ready to start yet. I would like to start by the weekend, but we can give some leeway depending on how everything seems to be going. Do you have a name for your character?

I wanted to post my response to a question someone had <wink> since I think the group could benefit.

"I'm completely fine with characters who are not the defined 3.5 DnD model of good. Gary Gygax had more interesting commentary on alignment than most people. He considered it a lawful good act for a paladin to behead captured and reformed orcs since they would likely resort to form once left to their own devices. He believed in alignment as more as a moral philosophy that could be debated between player and DM, and so do I. If you noticed in the character forms I set-up, I completely skipped the alignment section. There will be no alignment except that most likely the PCs will be considered lawful, most NPC will be neutral, and the villianous NPCs chaotic. Chaotic in original DnD meant the forces of chaos. Someone who is simply selfish and out to steal for personal power and wealth might be neutral. Someone looking to cause the deaths of a town to please some dark god and further his personal power would be chaotic."

In essence, I expect the characters to be noble in heart, but not lilly-white heroes. This is a grim world we'll be adventuring in. At the same time, characters that are completely immoral will have an equally tough time as there will be a response to their antics. Characters who are too charitable will be taken advantage of by the City-State's citizens, but characters who are a danger to the society will be taken down by them.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Let me add that when I say the characters will be considered lawful, I plan to use this for spell effects where alignment is important. Unless your characters are just obviously twisted individuals and not just a bit tainted... which means I may reconsider on a case by case basis and depending on the spell or magic item effect.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
So basically we'll just play the characters the way we see them, and you'll decide where we fit, alignment wise? I like that better than having to fit into some alignment box anyway.

Am I asking too many questions? :eek:

garyh

First Post
The alignment approach sounds good to me.

I've decided to go with Cleric. The Wis and Cha work too well, and the low Con makes Fighter tough to get my head around.

My rough character concept is someone from a barbarian tribe outside the City-State, who - despite a childhood disease that sapped his stamina - is very strong, and that combined with his common sense and force of personality, lead him to be a shaman for his tribe. At some point, his tribe was suffering from some sort of trouble, and he went to the City-State to get answers and/or aid. Neither were forthcoming, and now he's been sucked into the City-State, and does not know how his tribe has fared without him.

How's that sound?

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I like it. When the previous human civilization nearly fell it was due to tribes of orcs and goblinoids. Those outside fortress cities such as the City-State had to try to survive on their own for more than a generation.

Perhaps your tribe of humans have learned to co-exist in an uneasy trade relationship with the City-State, orc tribes, and goblin reservations (orcs fared better than the goblins in the final battles as they were abused by orcs and counter-attacked by humans). Or perhaps you have a deep hatred for orcs and/or goblins. There are some small human villages struggling for survival outside the City-State. I'll find one that suits your character's background and see if you like it.

garyh

First Post
Sounds good to me.

I like the idea of my character's tribe having conflict with the orcs. Increased conflict with them could have been why I went to the City-State. Perhaps seeking military assistance, only to be laughed at as a backwoods savage. A dishonest merchant or two taking advantage of me, and suddenly I've got debts, an indentured servant status, or who knows what keeping me in the City-State.

Remove ads