• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recruiting for High Level Gestalt

Wrahn

First Post
When I have run higher level game, I usually allow the following cost for wizards and additional spells in their spellbook:

SRD 3.5 said:
In most cases, wizards charge a fee for the privilege of copying spells from their spellbooks. This fee is usually equal to the spell’s level x 50 gp.

scroll costs seem rather harsh. I guess it just depends on how common other spell casters are and how free they are with trading spells.

kingpaul

First Post
I just stumbled upon this thread. Is there still room? Are the bloodlines from UA allowed? What about the racial paragons? I'm thinking a gold dragon bloodline paladin/fighter and/or cleric.

Lord Wyrm

First Post
Shayuri said:
Thanks for the feedback! Just a few more questions, and I'll have some crunch ready.

First, I see you allow some races from Eberron. How about Changelings? I'm interested in picking up the Recaster PrC, and I've always enjoyed the changeling's penchant for subtlety and mischief. If allowed, do they have any background material in your campaign world?

Recaster PrC is detailed in Races of Eberron.

Second, are there any rules I should observe when creating a 10th level spellbook for wizard levels? The usual +2 spells per level, plus any scrolls scribed works fine, but omits the possibility of discovered spellbooks and traded spells during one's travels...

Finally, are there any ECL 0 races in your campaign background that have an Int bonus? :)

Thanks again!
The changelings from Eberron are called "Faceless" and are a race created by Shadow within the last two or three centuries, the human scholars cannot narrow down the date any further than that. The race with the name "Changeling" are immortal fey with powers over phantasms and other illusions, they are rather old and use the statline of a modified Leshay from ELH.

The rules Wrahn posted for copied spells is close to what I use. I have altered the formula slightly:
(Spell Level)(Spell Level)*30gp
I think it works a little better with that formula.

I had ECL 0 with an Int bonus at one time and then a PC decided to drive them to extinction after a rather brutal war with them. They were called Vitae and resembled small werebears, they were the only democratic society in their region and were slain by a collection of monarchists. If you wish to design a new ECL 0 race with an Int bonus then feel free, I have more than a few areas they would be appropriate.

MeepoTheMighty said:
Are evil characters okay? I'm working up that orc I mentioned earlier, and he just works so much better as a half-fiend.....
Evil characters are okay, though I don't like the "playground bully" type of evil for PCs or important NPCs for that matter.

kingpaul said:
I just stumbled upon this thread. Is there still room? Are the bloodlines from UA allowed? What about the racial paragons? I'm thinking a gold dragon bloodline paladin/fighter and/or cleric.
There is always room. Bloodlines are allowed, as are racial paragons. The class combo works fine for me.

garlicnation

First Post
alright, my monk/cleric is almost done, i have one question though. Will you allow the illumian race from races of destiny? If you dont have it you can contact me for info on the race. They are a LA+0.

Lord Wyrm

First Post
garlicnation said:
alright, my monk/cleric is almost done, i have one question though. Will you allow the illumian race from races of destiny? If you dont have it you can contact me for info on the race. They are a LA+0.
Illumians are allowed, they are slightly changed though. They are from the plane of Shadow (not the diety) and have the extraplanar subtype as well as Lowlight vision.

Endur

First Post
Lord Wyrm said:
As mentioned by Wrahn the monster of Legend template can only be applied to animals, magical beasts, and monstrous humanoids, humans can not qualify. Use the extra 3 levels on that line to pick up a monstrous humanoid race, I would consider the Goliaths from Races of Stone, they only have LA +1 and no racial HD.

The only problem with the Goliaths is that I don't really want to play a monstrous humanoid. I want to play a human barbarian that is ascending into mythic status.

Hmmm, instead of Monster of Legend template, what about the Paragon template from the ELH? What LA would you estimate that the Paragon template has? The ELH says that the Paragon Mind Flayer is ECL 26, and a regular MindFlayer is ECL 15, so the LA for the template should be at least +11 (26-15) and less than +26.

Since the character is level 10, he couldn't have all of the Paragon template, but he could have part of it with the idea that the rest of it would come as he levels in game.

Azaar

Explorer
That, alas, doesn't give a level adjustment. Just a CR. The 3.5 update booklet never gave an LA, either. Personally, that leads me to believe the Paragon template from the ELH is likely an epic-level template. Just my guess, though.

garlicnation

First Post
Here is my charachter, feel free to point out any flaws.

Backstory: Cryptcloud Khurstak is one of the elite sentries of the Cryptcloud cabal. Since birth he has been trained as a sentry. He was posted ouside the moat of the cabal because of his specialty, jumping. He can easily jump a gap that keeps enemies away. Whenever the cabal was attacked, he sounded the alarm, inflicted massive damae to the attackers, then jumped oveer the 25 foot wide moat to safety once the wizards started pelting the attackers with spells. It is said that with a single blow of his fist, he can kill a man, and the man next to him. Above all else, he respects his cabals and the law of it. He has left in order to train, and oneday return with powers, and secrets untold. Despite his lack of intelligence, his wisdom makes him a respected individual in the cabal, to where he one day hopes to return.

[sblock]
Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Cryptcloud Khurstak
[B]Class:[/B] monk 10/cleric 10
[B]Race:[/B] Illumian
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[b]Age:[/b] 40
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] LN
[B]Deity:[/B] Arlon

[B]Str:[/B] 16 +3 (10p.)     [B]Level:[/B] 10       [B]XP:[/B] 50000
[B]Dex:[/B] 16 +3 (10p.)     [B]BAB:[/B] +7         [B]HP:[/B] 73 (10d8+20)
[B]Con:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)      [B]Grapple:[/B] +10    [B]Dmg Red:[/B] 0/-
[B]Int:[/B]  8 -1 (0p.)      [B]Speed:[/B] 60'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] 0
[B]Wis:[/B] 21 +5 (13p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +3        [B]Spell Save:[/B] 15
[B]Cha:[/B]  9 -1 (1p.)      [B]ACP:[/B] -0         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] n/a

[B]   Base  Armor  Sheild  Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]         10    +3     0       +3   0      +0   +7    23
[B]Touch:[/B] 20               [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 20

[B]   Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                7      +2   +3    12
[B]Ref:[/B]                 7      +3   +3    13
[B]Will:[/B]                7      +5   +3    15

[B]Weapon                      Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Unarmed Strike               +12/+7   2d6+4      x2
Flurry of blows attack       12/12/7

[B]Languages:[/B] 
Common
Illumian

[B]Abilities:[/B]
Strength domain
      Law spells at +1 caster level
Law domain
      Supernatural strength 1/day
Rebuke Undead 2/day

[B]Feats:[/B]
Stunning fist (bonus)
Deflect arrows (bonus)
Improved disarm (bonus)
Power attack
Cleave
Weapon focus(unarmed strike)
Acrobatic

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 39 [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 13/6.5
[B]Skills                      Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Appraise                    0      -1   0     -1
Balance                     13     3    0     16
Bluff                       0      -1   0     -1
Climb                       0      3    2     5
Concentration               13     2    2     17
Craft                       0      -1   0     -1
Diplomacy                   0      -1   0     -1
Disguise                    0      -1   0     -1
Escape Artist               0      3    0     3
Forgery                     0      -1   0     -1
Gather Information          0      -1   0     -1
Heal                        0      5    2     7
Hide                        0      3    0     3
Intimidate                  0      -1   0     -1
Jump                        13     3    16    32
Listen                      0      5    2     7
Move Silently               0      3    0     3
Ride                        0      3    0     3
Search                      0      -1   0     -1
Sense Motive                0      5    2     7
Spot                        0      5    2     7
Survival                    0      5    2     7
Swim                        0      3    2     5
Use Rope                    0      3    0     3

[B]Equipment:                  Cost    Weight  Armor/Shield Bonus[/B]
Monk's garments             N/A     N/A
Holy symbol, silver        25gp    1lb
Spell component pouch
Amulet of mighty fists +1  6000gp  1lb
Cloak of Resistance +3     9000gp  1lb
Ring of protection +2      8000gp  n/a
Bracers of armor +3        9000gp  1lb
Helm of wisdom +2          4000gp  1lb
Monk's belt                13000gp 1lb

[B]Total Weight:[/B]67lb      [B]Money:[/B] 2000(most in a bank somewhere)gp 0sp 0cp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]            77    153   230  460   1150

[B]Age:[/B] 40
[B]Height:[/B] 5'8"
[B]Weight:[/B] 185lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Brown
[B]Hair:[/B] None
[B]Skin:[/B] White

Spells Per Day:
0: 6
1st: 6+1
2nd: 5+1
3rd: 4+1
4th: 4+1
5th: 3+1

Typical spells prepared:
0: detect poison x3, read magic, detect magic, mending
1st: Divine favor x3, cure light x2, doom+Enlarge person
2nd: Cure moderate x3, Bulls strength, bears endurance+Bulls strength
3rd: Cure serious x2, create food and water, dispel magic+Magic circle against chaos
4th: Cure critical x2, Divine power, poison+spell immunity
5th: Flame strike, Greater command, summon monster V+Righteous Might

Class and racial abilities.
[sblock]
Racial features:

Type: Humanoid(human, extraplanar).

Low-Light Vision (Ex): Characters with low-light vision have eyes that are so sensitive to light that they can see twice as far as normal in dim light. Low-light vision is color vision. A spellcaster with low-light vision can read a scroll as long as even the tiniest candle flame is next to her as a source of light. Characters with low-light vision can see outdoors on a moonlit night as well as they can during the day.

Luminous Sigils (Su): The sigils that orbit an illumian’s head glow softly, providing illumination equal to that of a candle. Illumians can make their sigils disappear by concentrating for a moment (standard action), but they don't receive the sigils benefits and can’t use any special abilities granted by illuminan words while they’re doused. Restoring the sigils to visibility is a free action.

Glyphic resonance (ex): Illumians are the physical embodiment of a magical language, so they interact strangely with symbol-based spells. This group includes all spells whose names contain the world glyph, rune, sigil, or symbol. When an illuminan encounters such magic, one of two things happens. If the illumines caster level is lower than the caster level of the spell, he takes a -4 penalty to the saving throw. If the illumians caster level is higher, he is immune to the effect.

Power sigil Aesh: +2 bonus on strength chechs and strength-based skill checks
Power sigil Hoon:+2 bonus on wisdon checks, constitution checks, and Wisdon or constitution-based skill checks.

Illumian word “Aeshoon”: twice per day, the illumian can spend a turn or rebuke attempt as a swift action to gain a bonus on weapon damage rolls equal to her Wisdom bonus. This effect lasts until the beginning of her next turn, and it applies only to weapons with which she has selected the weapon focus feat.

Final utterance: UP TO THE DM

+2 racial bonus on saves against spells with the shadow descriptor: the illumines magical heritage is tied to the plane of shadow.

Class features:
Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level or higher if a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 3rd level, a monk gains an enhancement bonus to her speed, as shown on Table: The Monk. A monk in armor or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed.

Still Mind (Ex): A monk of 3rd level or higher gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects from the school of enchantment.

Ki Strike (Su): At 4th level, a monk’s unarmed attacks are empowered with ki. Her unarmed attacks are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. Ki strike improves with the character’s monk level. At 10th level, her unarmed attacks are also treated as lawful weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. At 16th level, her unarmed attacks are treated as adamantine weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction and bypassing hardness.

Slow Fall (Ex): At 4th level or higher, a monk within arm’s reach of a wall can use it to slow her descent. When first using this ability, she takes damage as if the fall were 20 feet shorter than it actually is. The monk’s ability to slow her fall (that is, to reduce the effective distance of the fall when next to a wall) improves with her monk level until at 20th level she can use a nearby wall to slow her descent and fall any distance without harm.

Purity of Body (Ex): At 5th level, a monk gains immunity to all diseases except for supernatural and magical diseases.

Wholeness of Body (Su): At 7th level or higher, a monk can heal her own wounds. She can heal a number of hit points of damage equal to twice her current monk level each day, and she can spread this healing out among several uses.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 9th level, a monk’s evasion ability improves. She still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Turn or Rebuke Undead (Su): Any cleric, regardless of alignment, has the power to affect undead creatures by channeling the power of his faith through his holy (or unholy) symbol (see Turn or Rebuke Undead).

A cleric may attempt to turn undead a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier. A cleric with 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (religion) gets a +2 bonus on turning checks against undead.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads