D&D 5E (Recruiting) Greyhawk Old-School Sandbox-Style Campaign

Schmoe

Adventurer
So RL is super busy right now. Just stopping by to say I haven't forgotten. FYI wife is going in for a surgical procedure tomorrow and I will be taking care of her the next few days. So I may end up with a lot of time to post if she gets lots of good pain meds. Or I may need to be super attentive. If its the former though, I will catch this up.

I hope everything goes smoothly. Having been through a couple surgeries myself in the last year, I'll say that she can use all the TLC you can give.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
@airwalkrr

One last minute question...are we able to use the variant rule for starting wealth instead of the items given from our background?

I'd like to tweak Horse a little and most of that stuff doesnt fit with what I have in mind

EDIT: Scratch the above, all sorted (if I am allowed to sell my starting gear)
Yes, you may sell starting gear for 50% cost. Send me a PM with your email or Obsidian Portal username and I will invite you to the group so you can input your character.

Perhaps I missed it, but what is Horse's Entertainer Routine? I noted you sold the viol so I was curious.

Also, just how scarred are you imagining this character to be? In the background you wrote that his scars covered up his heritage, but there is more to looking half-orc than gray skin (see the description of half-orcs on pg 40 of the PH). It would have to be a LOT of scars just to cover the pigmentation. He would also need to have had his skull and jaw cracked and broken numerous times to simply look malformed. Even then, half-orcs are bulky and tall. I cannot tell if you were trying to have the character somehow get around appearing to be a half-orc (which is not possible without a good disguise or magic) or if you simply wanted a character who looks like he has been beaten into a bloody pulp more times than an underground prize fighter. Either one would carry similar role-playing implications. For tips on how your character might have gotten along in the world, see the Grudging Acceptance sidebar on pg 41 of the PH.

HiAirwalker. Just so you are aware when you come back, I believe my character is completely ready now. I will keep a close eye on this and the IC thread and am happy for John to approach the party at the town gate just before they leave to volunteer his services with the giant mission for free. This would help to represent his current "all or nothing" reckless gambling attitude.
I have a suggestion that might work. Horse and John might have met up at the Green Dragon Inn the night previous and decided to go after Grob independently or with each other. Having heard about another party heading to Steaming Springs for the same purpose and receiving general descriptions, they have struck out for Druid's Gate hoping to meet the other party before they leave.

Send me a PM as I requested above from Radaceus.

I am headed over to the IC to update it now. My wife got home yesterday, and I have some spare time for the moment.

Radaceus

Adventurer
fair call on the perception for the nets. but therein is the rub, Horse's passive perception is 9 :)

he's not the most perceptive, a bit slow...

airwalkrr

Adventurer
He probably has not noticed yet, though should he have occasion to make even a casual inspection of the parties' gear, he will quickly notice it. As I said, no one has bothered to hide them in any way (not like there would be a reason to either).

Since Horse and John are not members of the party and it seems they are working pro bono, they need not necessarily pay the Freesword Tax at this time. But it is reasonable to assume they would have been informed at the gates of the city or at Green Dragon Inn that should they attempt any adventuring or mercenary work in the Domain of Greyhawk, it is expected they pay it by the city's bureaucrats. Otherwise all rights to claim any treasure or other compensation are forfeit. Given the way the city operates, they might also run afoul of the law simply by association with adventurers if they haven't paid the Freesword Tax. "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" is generally the assumption where probable cause is concerned.

Radaceus

Adventurer
I wondered about the Freesword Tax, but it seemed the narrative passed beyond this point, for the two of us, as we approached the group. Is it possible to assume we paid this when we first became keen to the idea, say at the inn, and deduct it from our coin?

otherwise, its a simple matter of our next action after the vote is finished.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
The Freesword Tax is levied upon all adventurers upon entry to the city or upon their first assignment. I did not want to overload people with information though, so I introduced the idea after we had dealt with some of the more important things for the milieu. Horse and John can have already paid the Freesword Tax and have their writ. Otherwise, your characters really will be entitled to absolutely nothing from this venture, even compensation (at least as far as the law of the land is concerned).

Some may be wondering about the necessity of all this anyway. There is no necessity, so long as your group does not run afoul of the law and there are never disagreements about how to divide the loot. This may be more likely than not considering the rampant corruption of the city. But it really plays to the milieu, where a contract is a sort of self-protection against the bureaucrats and the possible connivance of fellow party members (what if a less-than-good character decides to palm a valuable gem in a chest he has opened before the party sees the contents?). These are things that characters of the WoG would be wary against.

Sezarious

Explorer
I'll pay the tax beforehand I think. Just to get it out of the way for future endeavours. Will subtract the gold from my character sheet.

Remove ads