(Recruiting) Kiss of Darkness--Adventure in my Homebrew Setting

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Yep, I definitely agree with you on those, and I also think that deities like Mhyriss should not be so hidden that you can barely know they exist. Know who she is? Unleashed did when I mentioned her before, but I didn't after years of playing D&D until about a year ago.

Nope, never heard of her.At least I don't think so. But in all honesty, I've never played in a setting. No - that's not true. I'm playing a ranger in Eberron in PbP. But I've always played in Homebrew worlds. That's why I like Homebrews so much.

Rystil Arden said:
Makes sense to me. The difference is that I have a really fun time messing with it and I tend to like the end result better :D

True. I imagine I'll get my pantheon done. Just about the time that Kitrina hits level 20, Bront.... :)

And you know, Rystil, we'd better be careful or people are going to stop reading this thread because they think it is a mythology lesson! :D

Rystil Arden

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
Interesting, though. Because that is how mythology came into being. Someone would need a story, so they invent some god. If it helped the crops grow, and the rain to fall, or the wife to get pregnant (or the whole heirem!) then you kept praying to that god until it stopped working. If it never stopped working, your kids and grandkids worshipped it too. Then, it was a legitimate god. And then someone else wants a different god. So they make up a new story. and then someone else has a different need, so they made up a new story.

Then, two braniacs would figure out they each had a god for the same thing but with different names. So they'd compromise that name or somethin.....

But mythology was very much a pice by piece construction.
My theory is that the first deity was invented by Thog, a hunter-gatherer who was physically too weak to bring down food, but a bit brighter than his companions. He saw how the other weak tribe members could never get enough to eat because they don't contribute to the hunt, and they certainly won't get a good mate, and so he came up with a great idea--suddenly, he discovers a good spirit that is helping the tribe out and convinces others of its existence. Since he is the only one who can talk to those spirits, only he can help earn their favour, and so the tribe brings him offerings and food in exchange and he gains high status. When things go wrong, he comes up with some way they have angered his new god and gets them to give him more stuff, until eventually it stops, which is attributed to his god being appeased for their transgression :D

The slight problem with LEW isn't that it's piecemeal, it's that the gods come in at random for random things, and sometimes we get the "God of Playing Board Games" coming in years before useful gods like the "God of the Sky" , "Goddess of Fertility", and "God of Earth" that Bront invented. Still, it is often entertaining, and I like it better than the Greyhawk pantheon overall :)

Bront

The man with the probe
Nonlethal Force said:
Interesting, though. Because that is how mythology came into being. Someone would need a story, so they invent some god. If it helped the crops grow, and the rain to fall, or the wife to get pregnant (or the whole heirem!) then you kept praying to that god until it stopped working. If it never stopped working, your kids and grandkids worshipped it too. Then, it was a legitimate god. And then someone else wants a different god. So they make up a new story. and then someone else has a different need, so they made up a new story.

Then, two braniacs would figure out they each had a god for the same thing but with different names. So they'd compromise that name or somethin.....

But mythology was very much a pice by piece construction.
Yeah, but there are a few deities in LEW that make me wonder "Hrm, was this designed with a specific min/max cleric in mind?"

Like there's one who's favored weapon is a Bastard Sword (though, given he's the eternal bastard, I guess it fits), and another who's the spiked chain. And there are far too many that have the same sphere access, many who have access to Travel, Luck, or both.

I've done what I can to fill gaps. There were no creation myth oriented gods, so I created 2 who have a myth of creation (And I like how the Chaos vs Order conflict arose out of it. There was no goddess of Fertility (a HUGE hole), so I made one. There were No greater gods, so I made 3 (the above listed).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Nope, never heard of her.At least I don't think so. But in all honesty, I've never played in a setting. No - that's not true. I'm playing a ranger in Eberron in PbP. But I've always played in Homebrew worlds. That's why I like Homebrews so much.

She's only the goddess of love and beauty :uhoh:. That's a pretty major role in any pantheon. Seriously, she's that obscure and that's who she is. I had to play with the Greyhawk gods :):grumble::) and so I said to myself "Okay self, this character worships the goddess of beauty...Wait, who is that? Is there one?" Several hours later, I found an obscure reference to her but 0 information.

And you know, Rystil, we'd better be careful or people are going to stop reading this thread because they think it is a mythology lesson!

Quite possibly, but that's okay--I always love mythology lessons. You should see the random mythology stuff I've gotten to post in the last few days in General. We had a question about Kerberos (==Cerberus), a Norse myth question about Njord, and then a mention of historical deities of lust in that shilsen paladin thread :)

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
The slight problem with LEW isn't that it's piecemeal, it's that the gods come in at random for random things, and sometimes we get the "God of Playing Board Games" coming in years before useful gods like the "God of the Sky" , "Goddess of Fertility", and "God of Earth" that Bront invented. Still, it is often entertaining, and I like it better than the Greyhawk pantheon overall :)
Glad you like my gods :)

I might use them in my pantheon. They give me a good foundation.

There are a few gods i like, and even agree with (Mongrel I found was actualy pretty cool, though perhaps a bit munchkin if you break it down mechanicly, but I liked his detail and more walked the lands approach, and thus was inspired to write the freefolk.)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
I need to dig up that thread again.
The thread is here. Someone started asking about historical deities of Lust and someone else gave an answer that wasn't quite correct, so I tried to give a representative listing. My post of interest is on page 17, the last page. Of course, don't let that stop you from reading the main post on page 1--it's the best Paladin Thread Ever (tm) :)

Bront

The man with the probe
Oh, I've read the first 5+ pages, it went downhill after that.

It does show how polarized people are on the paladin though, and explains a lot why people have unreasonable expectations about it.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Oh, I've read the first 5+ pages, it went downhill after that.

It does show how polarized people are on the paladin though, and explains a lot why people have unreasonable expectations about it.
Yup. I remember that thread. That thread was one of the threads I read when I was lurking, a year before I ever joined ENWorld. I once almost joined to post something but then someone beat me to it. When I eventually did join and it reached a good point, I posted on it. It is pretty obvious that he doesn't break his Paladin's Vow. On page 16, Fighter1 correctly but not-so-eloquently stated one of the main causes that some people have trouble with Cedric (but he wound up angering Kahuna so I had to cover him by explaining what he meant :D)

Remove ads