• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

recruiting players for a mid-level steampunk campaign

NPC Lord

First Post
Clutching Yggdrasil said:
Delitante Maenad Musketeer & Zeppelin captain (Psy warrior/Musketeer/Elocater)
Xeph Steamcraft armored Knight (War blade or Urban Ranger)
Honor obsessive half-elf Rocketeer (as above, but w/rocket pack rather than steamarmor)
i like it, espesialy the knight. pick one, and post it after you flesh it out some more. and dave, i like yours too, but when i said 5-10, i meant ECLs too. mind flayers have ECLs of 17, so unless you use the mindflayer class in savage species, no.

dave_o

Explorer
NPC Lord said:
as for the tone of the game, its sort of a dark, high-fantasy steampunk, sort of a fusion of shadowrun, iron kingdoms, and, as far as certain cultures go, warhammer, both fantasy&40k. stuff is one of three things: pure steamtech, pure magic, or magitech. magitech is the natural progression in a world with both magic and technology. most common stuff is pure steam, but certain things, aka flying fortresses the size of citys, require a bit of help.

Freaking sold. Seriously. I am so in it hurts.

dave_o

Explorer
The name Brick-Knuckle Jack is a fixture among the less savory. Ten feet tall, at least, some claim. His shirts sewn from discarded zeppelin bags, others. Base thugs, hearing that Brick-Knuckle Jack is coming to collect payment, warble out stories of how one, just like them, lost his head over a debt without even knowing it was coming. The story goes that old Brick-Knuckle Jack simply jammed his hand through the wall of the place and popped the boy's cranium off like a wine cork.

What Brick-Knuckle Jack is, is an ogre, oprhaned as most ogres are, who found himself a niche in the seedy underbelly of the city. Huge and hulking, Brick-Knuckle Jack never has trouble finding as work as an enforcer, as a debt collector, a bodyguard. And oh, how old Jack loves the city. Keeping his whiskers cropped short, wearing his iconoclastic bowler (specially tailored from three hats) and suspenders (pieced together from warjack straps). Brick-Knuckle Jack looks almost a proper man, instead of whatever rough bite of Ogre his birth name was, if his giant mother even bothered to give little Jack that much of a thought.

But when an errant thug or smuggler sees Brick-Knuckle bearing down on them, the thick brow, cruel eyes, and hands like clenching mountains, they realize that Brick-Knuckle Jack will never be a man, truly.

And as much as he tries to deny it, Brick-Knuckle Jack knows that, too.

Playing an Ogre would require level six, I believe, and I'd probably go for a Barbarian/Monk, Rogue/Monk, or something along those lines, assuming I could use the Monk class to sort of emulate a Pugilist/Street Fighter and less of a contemplative.

NPC Lord

First Post
Nice!I like the description. your in, dave o. and as for number of players, around six. artificers fit in well, usualy working on airships, or alongside warjacks.

Last edited:

dave_o

Explorer
NPC Lord said:
Nice!I like the description. your in, dave o. and as for number of players, around six. artificers fit in well, usualy working on airships, or alongside warjacks.

Want me to build him? If so, gimmie some guidelines unless you want me to just use the ones in the OP.

Ambrus

Explorer
Since you mention Savage Species, it occurred to me that an elemental character might actually fit well in a steampunk campaign. Seeing as how elementals are often used as animating spirits for constructs in steampunk campaigns it doesn't seem a stretch to imagine that the process might result in a some free-willed elementals.

An air elemental (standing in for a steam para-elemental) might act as some type of free-willed being capable of directly driving steam-powered magictech; acting as the party's pilot or mechanic after a fashion. Built using the SS monster class it could be the campaign's titular "Steampunk"! I'd call it 'Gheist'. :D

An earth elemental formed of discarded scrap-metal might make a good stand-in for playing a sort of small unique free-willed warjack; a botched R&D experiment of some sort. I'd call it either 'Scrap' or 'Rusty'.

They're off the wall concepts, but that's what I tend to gravitate towards. ;)

Last edited:

NPC Lord

First Post
dave_o said:
Want me to build him? If so, gimmie some guidelines unless you want me to just use the ones in the OP.
yup, go ahead and build him. i think monk/fighter would do very well. and amberus, elementals would fit in very well, as would mephits. there is already a steam mephit. i like the earth elemental.

Ambrus

Explorer
Someone is playing a steam mephit already? I didn't see any posts in this thread to that effect. Are you recruiting players from somewhere else? If so, what type of characters have already been created?

Remove ads