Recruiting: The One Ring

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I just picked up The One Ring, the new Lord of the Rings RPG, and I think it'd be a good fit for PbP gaming. I'd like to try running the sample adventure, The Marsh Bell.

No knowledge of the system needed - I can explain the rules as we go along. I'm thinking of starting with group character creation, since I think people would be more invested in characters that they make themselves, but if people prefer to jump right in we can use the sample characters instead.

Looking for 4-6 players. I'll give priority to people I've gamed with on the Living 4E board in the past. Anyone interested?

Voda Vosa

First Post
I would defenitly! I started gaming myself with MERP! This will surely revive some old memories! I want to play a half dwarf!

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Sounds like fun, JNC.

Are there any online rules guides or anything to make the learning go easier?

I couldn't find any - I was looking for a quick start or something to try out with my RL gaming group before I bought it, but I couldn't find one so I ended up just buying the PDF. I plan to introduce the rules as they come up, so it shouldn't be too bad.

There's this rpg.net thread about character creation, but I found it pretty confusing because they didn't explain some things very well.

FourMonos

First Post
So I'm sure everyone noticed, but someone built a character builder you can access from that forum. You can't use it in IE, but you can use it in firefox, safari and other browsers. It seems pretty thorough.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
So I'm sure everyone noticed, but someone built a character builder you can access from that forum. You can't use it in IE, but you can use it in firefox, safari and other browsers. It seems pretty thorough.

To be honest, I never looked at that thread - it said "Live Character Sheet", I assumed it was an Excel spreadsheet full of macros. I hate those.

But now that I look at it - wow, this is pretty nice.

(It should work in IE 9, which is a lot more HTML5 compliant than earlier versions. Can't test it myself, though.)

EDIT: two drawback of this - it'll say "choose 2 skills to get a bonus" and things like that, without actually telling you what rating the skills are at without the bonus. It doesn't tell you all the totals until you're done. Not a big deal if you've got the book in front of you. And it doesn't pick any equipment for you.

EDIT AGAIN: oh, it's not that bad, you can move the windows from the wizard out of the way.

So when it's time to make characters, I think I'll go through the steps and explain them in any case, explaining different details than the sheet does, and you can follow along on the sheet if you want.

(Also, the die roller on the right made me realize I had the rules for the "Eye of Sauron" symbol wrong. So good thing I tried it out!)

I'll wait a few more days to see if anyone else is interested. I don't mind starting with 3 if nobody else shows up.

Last edited:

treex

First Post
I'd really like to give this a try (I assume that the characters are not going to be included in our LEB/L4E slots?) What system is it close to? 4e? 3.5e? I only played 4e but I'm really eager to try something new. Besides, if something goes wrong you can just retcon my character away :D

Btw, I'm a newbie and live in Asia, so not much D&D action here. Not much LotR action either, so I'd be a bit of a hassle to educate.

Remove ads