Recruiting: The One Ring

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Yeah, I played with the builder last night, too, and while I don't understand all of it, this is what I came up with:

Name: Culture: Dwarf of the Lonely Mountain Standard of Living: Rich

Tried the sheet maker, got this:

Name: Culture: Dwarf of the Lonely Mountain Standard of Living: Rich

Heh, pretty similar. I've started the Character Creation thread here, although I haven't posted much information to it yet. I'll post the character creation in steps, with explanations of what the choices mean in each step - if you want to keep the characters you made above, you can just post the choices you made, or you can change things once you find out what they mean.

I'll take Voda Vosa, FourMonos, Iron Sky, garyh, CaBaNa, and Walking Dad. Sorry treex and fireinthedust - if one of them drops out, you can take their place.

treex

First Post
Is there any chance for me to play at all D: this seems like a golden opportunity to branch out and explore other systems.

garyh

First Post
Heh, pretty similar.

Well, all dwarves are going to have a decent amount of stuff in common, but it looks like WD and I made some different choices down the line.

I'm not committed to the character yet, that was just a first pass. But hey, The Hobbit had one hobbit, thirteen dwarves, and occasionally a wizard in the party, so I wouldn't worry about two dwarves in this party. :)

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Well, all dwarves are going to have a decent amount of stuff in common, but it looks like WD and I made some different choices down the line.

I'm not committed to the character yet, that was just a first pass. But hey, The Hobbit had one hobbit, thirteen dwarves, and occasionally a wizard in the party, so I wouldn't worry about two dwarves in this party. :)

Your characters could be siblings to account for the similarity. There were a few family members in the Hobbit's dwarves weren't there - been to long since I read the books and just loaned my complete Hobbit + LOTR books to my roommate the day before this thread started?

Voda Vosa

First Post
Ok, for somereason I get it in spanish (Which is awesome for me, but might be troublesome for you:

Name: Kurin Cultura: Lonley mountain dwarf Life standards: Rich
Cultural blessing: Fearsome Calling: Buscador de tesoros Shadow weakness: Mal del dragon
Specialities: Herrería, Cantería, Hurtar
Distinctive features: Endurecido, Terco
Body: 6 Heart: 2 Wits: 6
Body(favorito): 9 Heart (favorito): 3 Wits (favorito): 8
-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 0 Inspire: 2 Persuade: 0
  • Athletics: 1 Travel: 3 Stealth: 0
  • Awareness: 0 Insight: 0 Search: 3
  • Explore: 2 Heal: 0 Hunt: 0
  • Sing: 1 Courtesy: 0 Riddels: 2
  • Crat: 4 Battle: 2 Lore: 2
-Common Skills-
  • Pike: 2 damage: 8 edge: 10 injury: 18 enc.: 3
  • Short sword: 1 daño: 5 filo: 10 herida: 14 Imp.: 1
  • Dagger: 1 daño: 3 filo: G herida: 12 Imp.: 0
-Virtues-: Broken Spells (Open and Close)
-Rewards-: Dwarf forged armor
-Gear-
Endurance: 30 Starting Endurance: 30 Fatigue: 10 Hope: 8 Starting hope: 8 Shadow: 0 Armor: 0 Headgear: 0 Parry: 6 Shield: 0 Damage: 0 Range: 0 Wisdom: 2 Valor: 1 Experience: 0 Total Experience: 0

Yep, another dwarf!

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Handy that it makes it in spanish for you... I have no idea what any of that means (took German in high school).

I'm not absolutely set on it, but here's what I was thinking of making, probably the group scout/hunter with a touch of lore:

Name: Culture: Elf of Mirkwood Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Folk of the Dusk Calling: Warden Shadow weakness: Lure of Power
Specialties: Mirkwood-lore, Woodwright, Shadow-lore
Distinctive features: Hardened, Keen-eyed
Body: 5 Heart: 3 Wits: 6
Body (favoured): 6 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 8
-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 2 Inspire: 0 Persuade: 0
  • Athletics: 3 Travel: 1 Stealth: 2
  • Awareness: 2 Insight: 0 Search: 1
  • Explore: 1 Healing: 1 Hunting: 1
  • Song: 2 Courtesy: 0 Riddle: 0
  • Craft: 1 Battle: 2 Lore: 3
-Weapon Skills-
  • Bow: 3 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
  • Sword: 1 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
  • Dagger: 1 damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
-Virtues-: Wood-elf Magic
-Rewards-:
-Gear-
Endurance: 25 Starting Endurance: 25 Fatigue: 3 Hope: 11 Starting Hope: 11 Shadow: 0 Armour: 0 Headgear: 0 Parry: 6 Shield: 0 Damage: 0 Ranged: 0 Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 Experience: 0 Total Experience: 0

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Ok, for somereason I get it in spanish (Which is awesome for me, but might be troublesome for you:

It goes by the default language of your browser, apparently. (The author posted that he'd translated it to Spanish; dunno if he's added any more since then.)

Is there any chance for me to play at all D: this seems like a golden opportunity to branch out and explore other systems.

All right, I suppose I could take 7... like garyh said, The Hobbit had 14 characters, I guess I can handle half that!

fireinthedust

Explorer
Hobbit RPG: Ah, okay that makes sense. The author is clearly a perfectionist fan, due to the aspect of going in order of the books ;)

I'm good to lurk and occasionally pop by to comment in the OOC thread from time to time, if that's okay with everyone? I'm super busy and need to mind my own games, but I'd like very much to watch how this one unfolds.

Also, I believe having Treex in the party for this Hobbit game would be quite fitting, by the way: 7 is, after all, a lucky number!

(And with that fireinthedust pulled out a long-stemmed pipe and began blowing smoke rings about the room until a collection of them hung about his head; with each puff the coal lit up his eyes like two blue embers, making him look terrifically sorcerous. He paused only occasionally to snatch yet another of JoeNotCharles' cakes and stuff it under his mustache before inhaling like a bellows and puttering out more rings to float in the air around him)

garyh

First Post
Your characters could be siblings to account for the similarity. There were a few family members in the Hobbit's dwarves weren't there - been to long since I read the books and just loaned my complete Hobbit + LOTR books to my roommate the day before this thread started?

I'm pretty sure every single dwarf of the thirteen was the brother, cousin, nephew, or uncle of another of the thirteen, so yeah, dwarven family traveling together certainly has precedent.

I completed my latest re-read of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings a couple months ago, and for the first time read The Annotated Hobbit, so I'm pretty fresh on it all. :)

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I'm pretty sure every single dwarf of the thirteen was the brother, cousin, nephew, or uncle of another of the thirteen, so yeah, dwarven family traveling together certainly has precedent.

If you guys want to make an all-Dwarf party, or all-Dwarf-except-for-one-Hobbit, or all-Dwarf-except-for-a-pair-of-Elves, or something horribly "unbalanced" like that, it would work perfectly well for this adventure. (Fitting in Hobbit characters is always the difficult part... Maybe they're starting a tradition of "all Dwarves on a quest must have a Hobbit burglar along for luck"?)

One thing I like about the setup where each boxed set covers a different area of the world, is it enforces the fact that these places are REALLY FAR APART and distant lands are just rumours. That point gets lost a bit in The Lord of the Rings, I think, when you have both Aragorn and Gandalf with the party, who are both INCREDIBLY (inhumanly!) well travelled, but it's important to remember that Boromir at the beginning of the books has already undertaken a great quest just to get to the place where they all meet.

The first volume, Adventures Over the Edge of the Wild, only covers roughly the map that's in The Hobbit, but the rules make it clear that travelling just part way across that map is a grand and perilous journey. And only giving options for characters from that area encourages people to think locally, instead of having one person want to be from the Shire and one person want to be from Gondor - just having these two people meet would be a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence, so a party like that shouldn't just be thrown together!

Remove ads