Recruiting: The One Ring

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
I'd be down.

Edit: made a few sample characters with the linked builder. Kinda neat. Don't know what anything means, but it seems relatively simple.

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I'd really like to give this a try (I assume that the characters are not going to be included in our LEB/L4E slots?) What system is it close to? 4e? 3.5e? I only played 4e but I'm really eager to try something new. Besides, if something goes wrong you can just retcon my character away

Not that close to either, really. I'd say it's closest to the Mouse Guard RPG, if anything - which isn't very helpful, I know!

Don't worry about rules difficulty - if you're not getting the rules, you can still post what your character says and does, and I'll figure out how to turn that into rolls.

So, that's five all of a sudden! I'll start the character creation thread as soon as I have a chance - I'll probably be able to tomorrow, but if not,it'll be Wednesday.

garyh

First Post
I'd be interested if there's still room. I also started with MERP way back when!

I haven't seen the rules yet, as Amazon hasn't shipped my copy yet. My order status says "Delivery Estimate Sept. 7th through 12th," but the item page says "Usually ships in 1 to 3 months." So who knows..

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I'd be interested if there's still room. I also started with MERP way back when!

Yep, that'd be a full six!

(treex, I said "people I've played with before have precedence", and I've played with all these people, so if somebody else that I've played with shows up wanting a spot before I start the character creation thread, I'll have to cut you I'm afraid. Hopefully it won't come to that!)

EDIT: whoops. Hi, CaBaNa. That's 7...

I haven't seen the rules yet, as Amazon hasn't shipped my copy yet. My order status says "Delivery Estimate Sept. 7th through 12th," but the item page says "Usually ships in 1 to 3 months." So who knows..

I don't think it's even out until mid September. (Except in PDF - but if you wait for the boxed set, you get special dice with it!)

fireinthedust

Explorer
neat thread. I'd just started re-reading the hobbit yesterday!

What about Wizards? Or is it assumed that this isn't D&D, so no one gets to be anything other than a fighter-type? Granted, there were only the two blue (off somewhere), Gandalf, Radaghast, and Saruman... but still!

Too bad about the split-up books, though. No Gondor or Rohan? What about Rangers of the North? I blame Dragon Age, but at least they gave core concepts in the first set.

How do adventures work in LotR? I've never run the setting, though I suppose the theme should be some sort of journey, and maybe not the combat grid-style battles of D&D?

Walking Dad

First Post
Tried the sheet maker, got this:

Name: Culture: Dwarf of the Lonely Mountain Standard of Living: Rich
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable Calling: Slayer Shadow weakness: Curse of Vengeance
Specialties: Smith-craft, Trading, Orc-lore
Distinctive features: Bold, Wrathful
Body: 6 Heart: 3 Wits: 5
Body (favoured): 9 Heart (favoured): 5 Wits (favoured): 6
-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 1 Inspire: 2 Persuade: 0
  • Athletics: 1 Travel: 3 Stealth: 0
  • Awareness: 2 Insight: 0 Search: 3
  • Explore: 2 Healing: 1 Hunting: 1
  • Song: 1 Courtesy: 0 Riddle: 2
  • Craft: 3 Battle: 2 Lore: 1
-Weapon Skills-
  • (Axes): 2
  • Short sword: 1 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
  • Dagger: 1 damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
  • Missing:localizeKey: 0
-Virtues-:
-Rewards-: Dwarf-wrought Hauberk
-Gear-

Endurance: 31 Starting Endurance: 31 Fatigue: 0 Hope: 9 Starting Hope: 9 Shadow: 0 Armour: 0 Headgear: 0 Parry: 5 Shield: 0 Damage: 0 Ranged: 0 Wisdom: 1 Valour: 2 Experience: 0 Total Experience: 0

garyh

First Post
Yeah, I played with the builder last night, too, and while I don't understand all of it, this is what I came up with:

Name: Culture: Dwarf of the Lonely Mountain Standard of Living: Rich
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable Calling: Slayer Shadow weakness: Curse of Vengeance
Specialties: Stone-craft, Tunnelling, Orc-lore
Distinctive features: Hardy, Vengeful
Body: 6 Heart: 3 Wits: 5
Body (favoured): 9 Heart (favoured): 5 Wits (favoured): 6
-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 0 Inspire: 2 Persuade: 0
  • Athletics: 1 Travel: 3 Stealth: 0
  • Awareness: 0 Insight: 0 Search: 3
  • Explore: 2 Healing: 0 Hunting: 0
  • Song: 1 Courtesy: 0 Riddle: 2
  • Craft: 3 Battle: 2 Lore: 1
-Weapon Skills-
  • (Axes): 3
  • Short sword: 1 damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
  • Dagger: 1 damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
  • Missing:localizeKey: 0
-Virtues-:
-Rewards-: Axe of the Azanulbizar
-Gear-Endurance: 31 Starting Endurance: 31 Fatigue: 0 Hope: 9 Starting Hope: 9 Shadow: 0 Armour: 0 Headgear: 0 Parry: 5 Shield: 0 Damage: 0 Ranged: 0 Wisdom: 1 Valour: 2 Experience: 0 Total Experience: 0

JoeNotCharles

First Post
What about Wizards? Or is it assumed that this isn't D&D, so no one gets to be anything other than a fighter-type? Granted, there were only the two blue (off somewhere), Gandalf, Radaghast, and Saruman... but still!

There are no rules for PC wizards, although there are plenty of cultural magic skills you can use (you can be a skin-changer like Beorn, and turn yourself into a bear, or you can sing songs of sleep like the Elves...)

Too bad about the split-up books, though. No Gondor or Rohan? What about Rangers of the North? I blame Dragon Age, but at least they gave core concepts in the first set.

I kind of like the split books, actually - it gives each book more of a focus. Then again I grew up with the Basic/Expert/Companion/Master D&D where there was always another boxed set to get...

This is sort of "The Hobbit RPG", really, since it covers the lands around Mirkwood and the Lonely Mountain.

How do adventures work in LotR? I've never run the setting, though I suppose the theme should be some sort of journey, and maybe not the combat grid-style battles of D&D?

Definitely no combat grids, but there are battles, of course. They're just a little more abstract. And you're right, there are quite detailed rules for journeying, weariness, and the corruption of the Shadow, which is pretty cool.

Remove ads