Recruiting to playtest Steel Dragon's World of Orea RPG: D&D 1 & 2e base +

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Been in hospital for over a week again thanks to infection, still very tired, am going to work on Mr Gnome asap

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
[MENTION=48762]Leif[/MENTION] It is indeed open! any of those racial types are possible. whatever you prefer...I'll work it in somehow.
[MENTION=53286]Lwaxy[/MENTION] PLEASE take what time you need. If you want/need the distraction...or are feeling fine, go right ahead. But don't feel pressured to get done if you don't feel up to it!

Leif

Adventurer
Ok, good! I think I'd like to go for the Dwarf Fighter/Thief -- he'll be more of a traps and mechanical things guy and less of a sneak up on 'em guy, but he will relish stabbing orcs/goblins in the back whenever he gets a chance. Guess I'd better start looking for some guidelines on how to roll him up.

Edit after checking -- 4d6 take highest 3 dice, arrange scores to taste.

Stats for Hygarr Morzax in campaign “steeldragons' Orea 1E/2E AD&D”

Created using the Roll method on 13-Jul-21 04:08. STR 10, DEX 13, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 4, CHA 11

STR: 10
DEX: 13
CON: 14
INT: 10
WIS: 4
CHA: 11

Wow, those are definitely some ability scores. Adusting for race give Morzax +1 Con, -1 Cha, so final scores are::

CON: 15
CHA: 10

Are hp max at L1 [11 in this case?], I hope? Do I roll 5d4 for starting gold, do you roll for me, or do you have another method to use?

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Ok, good! I think I'd like to go for the Dwarf Fighter/Thief -- he'll be more of a traps and mechanical things guy and less of a sneak up on 'em guy, but he will relish stabbing orcs/goblins in the back whenever he gets a chance. Guess I'd better start looking for some guidelines on how to roll him up.

STR 10, DEX 13, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 4, CHA 11

And adjusting for race gives +1 Con, -1 Cha, so final scores are:

Str 10 Dex 13 Con 15 Int 10 Wis 4 Cha 10

Hygarr Morzax always wanted to be the doughty Dwarven warrior, but he found that he was not as strong as he wanted to be. Therefore, he began looking for other advantages in combat, like striking from behind, and fully utilizing his agility and quickness to best advantage. he also has a strong fascination with locks, traps, and all things mechanical, which also led him to the choice of a heavy crossbow as a weapon of proficiency. His others are the battle axe, the short sword, and the mace, footman's.

*Sorry for the double post*

Last edited:

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Welcome aboard, Leif!

If Steeldragons is willing, your guy could be the fourth in our little gang of thieves and cut-throats (we just need to retroactively rename him from "Tully" to Hygarr)? All that's been established about the guy so far is that he snores. :) Perfect thing on the mechanichaly-inclined too, as my character is more of a break-and-enter type rather a lockpicking/trap removing type.

By the by, fair warning to all involved: I'll be going for my vacation in two weeks (5th of August onwards) and I'll therefore be AFK for pretty much the following two weeks (camping and all that, you understand :)).

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic

Edit after checking -- 4d6 take highest 3 dice, arrange scores to taste.

Stats for Hygarr Morzax in campaign “steeldragons' Orea 1E/2E AD&D”

Created using the Roll method on 13-Jul-21 04:08. STR 10, DEX 13, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 4, CHA 11
Wow, those are definitely some ability scores. Adusting for race give Morzax +1 Con, -1 Cha, so final scores are::
CON: 15
CHA: 10

Are hp max at L1 [11 in this case?], I hope? Do I roll 5d4 for starting gold, do you roll for me, or do you have another method to use?

Welcome Master Morzax! You are welcome to use/have the stat adjustments you have here, if playing with the 1e rules is preferable to you, or you may indulge in the new World of Orea RPG.

In the latter case:
Dwarf
The dwarves of Orea were created in the times of the Elder Gods in the deepest darks beneath the mountains, where they still form their hidden stone-holds. They lived for ages, mastering crafts of stone and metal and arms before venturing to the surface world and interacting, first with the elves, and then with the human tribes and cultures that came after.

Dwarves stand between 4-4.5’ tall, broadly shouldered. They almost all wear beards of varying length and adornment (females generally have hair on their cheeks and/or jawline but keep chin hairs shaved or closely trimmed). They are a hearty and noble race with a reputation for a love of gold, working precious metals and great prowess in mining and battle.

Dwarf PCs have the following abilities:
~ Dwarves receive +1 to their Strength and Constitution ability scores. Dwarves may have a maximum of 19 in their Constitution. Their Strength, however, still maxes at 18.
~ Lowlight vision: Dwarves see normally in starlight, shadows and other low light conditions to a distance of 120’.
~ Dwarves are +5 to rolls against poison and disease.
~ Dwarves possess “Stonecraft” (Lore). They receive a +2 bonus to any rolls to detect worked stone, hidden stonework doors or traps, or sloping passages. Dwarves have an innate sense that automatically knows their direction and general depth underground.
~ Languages: Dwarf PCs begin with Common, Dwarven, Goblin, + slots for additional languages equal to Intelligence modifier. [which Hygarr does not have, so those three languages are it.]

HP are highest at 1st level. As a multiclassed Fighter/Thief, that gives you: 12 + 10 = 22 /2 = 11 + Con. bonus. A 15 in WoO givves you a +2 bonus to your Con....so a starting HP of 13. Not shabby.

Your 13 Dex gives you a +1 to missile/thrown attacks and +1 to your AC.

The 4 Wisdom will be a -3 to all Wis. rolls, including ut not limited to saves vs. mind-effecting magics. That should be interesting. heh heh.

Being a Fighter/Thief in WoO gets you the starting features:
Weapons & Armor: A Fighter can be proficient in all types of weapons and armors. [obviously. You will, however receive penatlies to your Thief abilities for medium or heavy armor.]

Proficiencies & Skills: Fighters begin play proficient with 4 Weapons. They gain another 1 weapon slot every 3rd level (3rd, 6th, etc...).
Fighters begin play with 2 Non-Weapon Skill Points and receive an additional 1 point every 4th level (4th, 8th, etc...).

CLASS FEATURES
Combat Mastery: Fighters are the best warriors to be found from any culture in the World of Orea. They train hard and are very aware of their strength and capabilities, as well as assessing those of their foes when in a combat situation. Simply put, the Fighter gets better at fighting, regardless of strength, weapon type or any other bonuses.

Beginning at 1st level, a Fighter receives +1 to their Attack rolls and +1 to their Damage rolls. This Combat Mastery (CM) bonus increases every 3rd level. So the bonus goes up to +2 @ 3rd, +3 @ 6th, etc...to a maximum of +5. This bonus applies to attack and damage rolls even if the Fighter is unarmed or using a weapon with which they are not proficient.

Rush: Given a minimum of 10’ between the Fighter and an enemy, the Fighter may rush an enemy. The player should declare their intention to make their attack a rush before dice are rolled. With this attack, if it hits, the Fighter may choose to do one of two things:
1) Inflict half damage (rolled and calculated normally) and push/knock back the target 10’ away from its current position.
2) The Fighter does not knock the enemy back but instead the attack forces a save roll to beat DC10 +the Fighter’s Strength modifier. The target adds their own Strength modifier to their roll. Failure indicates the target takes half damage but is knocked down, prone, and can take no action the following the round (other than getting up). A successful roll means the target simply takes damage as normal.
Note, that a foe can be no more than one half again the size of the fighter to be effected by a Rush.
Ex.: a 6’ human fighter might be able to charge and knock back a 9’( 6’ +3’) ogre. A 3.5’ halfling fighter could not, but could charge such creatures as dwarves, goblins, hobgoblins and, possibly, [shorter]­ elves, humans and orcs.
The Fighter has the physical strength and adrenalin to Rush as many times as their Strength Modifier +1 per day (that is, before requiring a minimum of 8 hours of rest or sleep). So even a fighter with no Strength mod. can make a Rush attack once per day.
Note that the Fighter’s Atheltics and Combat Mastery bonuses should be added to their Attack roll on a Rush attack.

Extra Attacks: A Fighter may make as many attacks per round as they have levels against creatures of 1HD or lower. i.e. a 3rd level Fighter facing a troupe of kobolds rolls 3 attacks. These attacks may be applied to the same target or to different targets within the fighter’s reach (no further than the Fighter can move within the round).

Receive Charge: Any Fighter with a spear or halberd can “set the spear” (bracing the end against the ground and/or their foot) against a charging or rushing attack, be it a mounted enemy, charging ogre or another fighter making a rush attack. Preparing for the charge is considered the fighter’s attack for the round and must be done before the charger can roll their attack. However, if the charger “hits” on their attack the fighter takes no damage while the charging creature receives double full damage from the spear or halberd.

Athletics: All fighters are physically trained and conditioned to some extent and know what their bodies are capable of. Fighters receive +2 to all skill checks and rolls using Strength, regardless of (and in additional to) their actual Strength modifier. This bonus should be applied to such checks as, but not limited to: climbing, swimming, jumping, holding one’s breath, wrestling, knocking down doors, carrying or lifting heavy loads, etc...

Themes: Fighters begin play with one of the Warrior Class or General list themes. The Warrior Themes have additional bonuses with specific weapons and particular manuevers. Fighters can apply a new rank (for a new theme or to increase their existing one) every other level (3rd, 5th, etc...).

The "Receive Charge" rule/mechanic is something I'm a bit iffy on. But we'll see how it goes...if you choose to use the WoO rules.

Being a Thief gets you, essentially, what you'd expect a thief to get plus a couple of extra things. I'll give you those if you want to go this route. If you want to just use the 1e rules, might be intersting to see how a character with those plays against/next to one of the WoO characters. But it's totally up to you.

The multi-classing rules (as far as I have them) mean that you receive: [#1 is just stating that one of the clases must be a "base 4 class" which you already have. #2 is just going through the various combo's allowed...which Fighter/Thief, obviously, is. So we'll start with #3]
3) Gaining Levels: Any multi-classed PC divides all XP by 2, split evenly between both of their classes.
This means the character will gain levels slower than single-classed characters, but their array of mixed abilities should keep them comparable to a PC of equal level. A Fighter/Mage levels 2/2 and a single classed Druid level 4, for example, should be capable of handling comparable threats.
The multi-classed PC may gain levels at different times. When they have enough XP to transition in each class, they increase. A Fighter/Mage will become a 2nd level Fighter while they are still a 1st level Mage, for example.
4) Hit Points: At first level, the multi-classed PC takes the maximum of both of their classes divided by 2. When increasing in level, the PC should roll HP as normal for the class in which they are gaining a level and divide it by 2.
5) Weapons & Proficiencies: The multi-classed character is allowed the more permissive of their weapon choices and rate of new proficiencies. [in your case, the Fighter]
A Cleric/Fighter may use a sword, a Rogue/Mage could be proficient with a shortbow, etc...They gain new weapon proficiencies by whichever class has the more favorable rate.
6) Armor: -snip about wizard classes using armor-
- Multi-classed Rogues still have their abilities limited by the type of armor they wear, as detailed under Rogue.
7) Alignment: Multiclassed characters are fully subject to any limitation of alignment by either of their classes.
8) Themes: the multi-classed PC may select from the specialty lists of both of their classes, but is still only permitted 1 at creation (not 1 for each class). The PC gains new theme ranks at the slower rate of their two classes. For example:
Our Ftr/MU character would get 1 specialty every other level as a Fighter. But a Mage doesn’t get a second theme until 4th level. The Ftr/MU character has to wait until 4th level before gaining/selecting a new theme. This is to indicate the extent of work, time and training required of the PC to maintain both classes. They can’t pick up new tricks or abilities as readily.
9) Skill Points: the multi-classed PC receives all of the skills listed as Class Features for both classes. They receive only the more favorable number of SPs to spend on increasing their skills, not both classes’ SPs together. To continue with the above example: our Ftr/MU gets 1 SP as a Fighter, but 3 SP for being a Mage. So the PC begins with 3 SPs and gains another at 4th level (the rate of the Mage). [In your case, this would be your Thief SPs, which begin with 2 -same as a Fighter- but accrue a new 1 every other level as opposed to the Fighter receiving them every 3rd.]
10) Starting Money: The Multi-classed PC begins with the lower amount for gold at the start of play, not the combined for both classes. So our intrepid Fighter/Mage begins with play with 150 gp to purchase equipment (not forgetting they will need a grimoire and spell components pouch along with their armor and weapons).[For Hygarr this is moot, as both Fighters and Thieves beegin with 150gp (1,500 sp).

Hope that's not too much to process all at once...and if you want to use the WoO rules then I'll send you the Thieves class features, then themes to choose from, skills and equipment/prices.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
@Binder Fred : Thanks for the heads up on the vaca. Hope it's a great time. I will be heading off to holiday at the end of the week, myself. But will most decidedly not be camping(!) lol and thus will have computer and internet access fairly freely.

Since @Lwaxy and @Leif both have character creation stuff to do we can either suspend play until you are ready, I can do some initial solo backstory with each of them and bring you all together when you're back...or NPC Johnnie Boy (I promise to kill him! [EDIT: Just gave myself an LOL! hahahahaha. I really sincerely DID mean to type "NOT to kill him"! And I won't./EDIT] if the other players are prepared before your return.

Whatever you guys want to do?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
PS: I was way ahead of you, BF. Already thought of adding Hygarr in as "the gang's" 4th member...if Leif is agreeable to such. Otherwise, should be no problem to have a fighter/thief come across another band of thieves out and about doing their respective things.

Leif

Adventurer
;) I definitely want to go the WoO way with Hygarr, as far as abilities/mechanics go. I have no idea what all that means, however. Where can I find these rules?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Well...I have to give them to you. hahaha. I don't have a pdf or anything made up...though I suppose I could transfer the incomplete Players Handbook to a pdf...might be easier than posting quotes from it over and over. Or can email section to you in a PM so you can have them to reference on your own.

Here's the gist of stuff you'd need to know.

For character creation, you're well on your way.
1. Roll ability scores. Check.
2. Pick a race (as they adjust your ability scores). Check.
3. Pick a class. Check.
4. Pick a theme.
5. Choose weapons [in which you are proficient] and [non-weapon] skills.
6. Buy equipment (including weapons and armor).
...and you're ready to go.

Combat works like:
1. Determine surprise, if any. [that's my/DM's job]
2. Group/Side Initiative. On a d10.
3. Magic casting/declaration. Missile Fire.
4. Melee.
5. Magic takes effect.
[6. Second Missile Fire, if applicable]

Saves and Skill checks function, basically, the same:
Roll against/beat the DC (higher is better). Determined by:
d20 + relevant ability bonus, if any + Skill Point bonus, if any + any other relevant bonuses, if any (from race, class, theme, magic items, etc...).
For example, Hygarr is bitten by a poisonous spider. I determine/say a DC15.
You roll d20 +2 (your Con bonus) +5 (for being a dwarf against poison) = result. If your result is equal to or greater than 15, no poison for you. :)

In WoO all rolls of a natural 20 on the d20 are automatic success, regardless of DCs, ACs, applicable bonuses, etc... Natural 20 trumps everything.
On the flip side, natural 1 rolls on the d20 are automatic failure, regardless of bonuses. Natural 1 fails/flubs/fumbles.

Ummm...hmmm.What else would you need to know?

Remove ads