Recruitment Closed 3.5 D&D - Storms of Change

Someone

Adventurer
If you allow me to change Dunathar´s sheet, I´d keep him, or if not, I´d make a monster hunter: Ftr2, inspired on a character of a book I´ve read recently.

When I was playing I thought on giving Dunathar a level or two of fighter: I always saw him as a roguish character, and adding ranger -that I don´t feel it fits Dun- would mean to keep them even to avoid multiclassing penalties, but not sooner than 3rd or 4th level, so I would make it Rog 2 and change Nimble Fingers back to Weapon Finesse. I´ll post the character sheet later, if you allow the changes.

silentspace

First Post
Someone - Sure, Dunathar's yours again. You can switch out the level of Ranger for a level of Fighter, and modify the feats. How's that sound?

Insight

Adventurer
More Background on the Prize Fighter Lucan

In regards to the background of Lucan, the Monk/Prize Fighter character I have proposed. This is in prose format, so skip it if it's too long...

The mothers, tearfully separated from their children, stood in one sunken area, their eyes fixed with a dire gaze upon the slaver Rogolka, who stood upon a raised dais in the center of Merisander Square. The children were huddled in pairs or triples in a sunken area across from their mothers, and looked mostly upon the dirt beneath their feet. On occasion, a whimper would permeate the crowd, but the children knew better than to make too much of a protest lest they be hauled off to the pits without a second word.

"Now," Rogolka began, as he had many speeches prior, "It is time for the unpairing. Mothers, as is dictated by the laws of the King of Goruka, you must choose. One of your children will be returned to your family, and can remain as such for the rest of his or her days." He smiled in anticipation of the next part of this sorrowful bargain. "And as you know, your other children are thus sacrificed to the king, who will sell them to me. Those of you who refuse to make a decision... will find themselves in Potter's Field and all of their children in chains."

Heavy anticipation followed as the mothers prepared to make this horrific decision. No one in their right mind could ever choose between their children, but Merisander Square, the veritable heart of slave trading in Goruka, was not necessarily a place for sane thinking. This was a matter of survival, and of cruel sacrifice.

Rogolka's pikemen surrounded the square perimeter, and several thugs in leather armor held heavy chains, waiting to take the children away to the slave pens. The slaver smiled, knowing that soon, his coffers would flow with gold and silver by way of his agreement with the king.

He produced a scroll, which listed the names of the families brought forth today. Most of them did not have proper names, just familiar names. This was normal, as the poor did not warrant special distinction in Goruka. He called out the mothers' names, and gave them a few moments to announce whether one of her children would be spared, or whether she would sacrifice herself. As this practice had been common in Goruka for many years, the womenfolk were somewhat prepared for this eventual heartbreaking decision. Even so, such societal pre-programming did not assuage the hurt.

The numbers of the enslaved children rose as the slavers took them in chains to the pens located not far from Merisander Square. Rogolka smiled, knowing that soon he would be a rich man again. Night fell, and the list was coming to an end. Most of the womenfolk had been dragged out of Merisander Square kicking and screaming, some to their death. One name remained on the roll: Catha of Shelor.

"And finally," Rogolka announced, "Catha... state your choice."

The mother looked upon her son Lucan and her daughter Taisa, who stood across the way. Taisa was older, and might provide the family with a good marriage trade someday. She was pretty enough, and skilled in the kitchen, and would perhaps fetch a handsome prize indeed. Lucan, the younger son, was not much to look at - shy, skinny, and of average appearance at best. he had proven to be worth much, and may not even be strong enough to carry on the family trade.

"I... cannot..." Catha declared, realizing the weight of such a decision. "You... monster!"

Rogolka's pikemen advanced a step or two before the master stopped them with a hand. "Catha, you surely know by now the penalty you face for refusing my generous offer."

The mother did not budge. "These are both my children, and I shall never have another. The King has already conscripted my oldest son to fight against the southern lands."

"That matters not to me," Rogolka replied coolly. "A decision - choose one child to return to your family, or face the blade yourself and both your children shall be mine."

She stepped forward, advancing right into the sea of pikes that faced her. "Then take me, cruel slave lord," Catha answered. "For I cannot make such a decision."

Rogolka smiled broadly. "Then it is done," he said. "Seize her, and dispose of this dissenter." Rogulka looked upon the last of his take for the day. "As for these lovely children," he added, "I think they shall make fine servants for me and my family."

The slaver walked down the stairs of the dais to greet his final two slaves. Taking Taisa's chin in two fingers, the Rogulka smiled again. "Or perhaps you shall be a better fit in my harem."

With that remark, Lucan, the younger brother to Taisa, stormed forward and attempted to tackle the much larger Rogulka. It was a very brave move, but foolhardy and fraught with danger. Rogulka, sensing the boy's growing anger, tossed Lucan aside with a backhand.

Now standing above Lucan, Rogulka seethed. "Boy," he said. "You will learn your place. No one dares strike Rogulka!" The slaver detached a nine-tail from his belt. "And now you shall learn the price of defiance."

Whip cracks in the middle of Merisander Square perforated the settling air, sending the dusk on its way to nightfall. Somewhere, the mother died, and so did the innocence of her two youngest children. Their enslavement would not be an end, but perhaps a beginning to something bigger to come...

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
Ok, here´s the new version: (background the same). I don´t know how much money does he have from the last adventures (I´m reading something like an extra 1100 gp) but by themoment I´m not touching that.

Dunathar Without Name
Race: Dwarf
Class: Rogue
Level: 2
Alignment: Neutral
Experience: 2124 xp.

HGT: 4´1´´
WGT: 140 lb
SEX: Male

Abilities:

STR: 12 (+1)
DEX: 16 (+3)
CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 14 (+2)
WIS: 14 (+2)
CHA: 8 (-1)

HP: 15 (6+(0,75x6)+4)

Saves:
……….Total...Base...Ability
Fort.........+2......+0......+2
Ref..........+6......+3......+3
Will.........+2......+0......+2

Skills:

Spot +7 = 5 ranks +2 Wis
Listen +7 = 5 ranks +2 Wis
Search +7 = 5 ranks +2 Int
Hide +8 = 5 ranks +3 Dex
Move Silently +8 = 5 ranks +3 Dex
Tumble +7 = 4 ranks +3 Dex
Balance +5 = 2 ranks +3 Dex
Climb +4 = 3 ranks +1 Str
Open Lock +8 = 5 ranks +3 Dex
Disable Device +7 = 5 ranks +2 Int
Pick Pockets +5 = 2 ranks +3 Dex
Appraise +6 = 4 ranks +2 Int (+8 when stone or metal objects)

Feats:

Weapon finesse

Languages

Common
Dwarven
Gnome
Undercommon

Combat stats:

AC: 16 (+3 MW Studded Leather Armor; +3 Dex) (+4 against Giants)

Speed 20 feet.

Initiative: +3 (+3 dex)
Attack: Melee: +2, ranged +4 (+1 against orcs and goblinoids)

Weapons:
MW Short Sword: +5; Damage 1d6+1, Critical 19-20/x2
MW Light Crossbow: +5; Damage: 1d8 Critical: 19-20/x2
Dagger: +4 melee, +4 ranged Damage: 1d4+1 Critical: 19-20/x2

Special qualities and class features:

Darkvision.
Stonecraft
Bonus with metal and stone items
Resistant to poison
Resistant to spells and spell like abilities
Sneak attack +1d6
Trapfinding
Evasion

Equipment:

Dagger x3
Silver Dagger
MW Short sword x2
MW Light Crossbow
MW Studded Leather Armor

Backpack with:
-Rope
-Waterskin
-One day´s trail rations
-Bedroll
-Sack
-Explorer outfit
-Thieve´s tools

Light warhorse
-standard bit and bridle
-military saddle
-saddlebags
--7 days rations and 7 waterskins
-studded leather barding

Case with 20 crossbow bolts

134 gold coins.

Last edited:

silentspace

First Post
Warden Ricsten Makes His Selection

Drawn by the posted notices seeking various scouts, mercenaries, and assorted adventurers, you arrive at Warden Ricsten's offices. You are led into a small office where a clerk asks a detailed set of questions about your abilities and personal history. You're told that you are a candidate for a special mission, but aren't told what it is. Realizing honest answers will likely determine what sort of assignments the Warden might give you, whether its to this special mission or not, you answer them honestly. A scribe writes down your answers, and you are dismissed.

A couple days later a runner comes for you, and asks for you to come to the Warden's offices at dusk, after the public offices are closed, giving you a special pass to show to the guards.

You're ushered in to a large hall where you meet the Warden, who is surrounded by several of his men. The Warden has six parchments in front of him, and you realize that one of them is yours. The Warden peruses the parchments while his men study you carefully, appraising your worth.

"As you've been told, I have a special mission for some of you. My clerks have collected information from many applicants, and have sent the six best to me. I am going to pick three of you to go on this mission."

He goes to each of you, asking for questions or further details. Occasionally one of his men also chimes in with a question, or asking for a clarification. Finally he sits back down, the parchments spread on the desk in front of him, and rubs his temples for a moment.

Then he looks up. [The following made the cut.]

"You," he says, pointing at the gnome cleric. "A cleric will be invaluable, and your skills in stealth and trickery will surely be useful. Congratulations, you're on the team." [Isida Kep'Tukari]

"You," he says, pointing to the ranger. "Your skills in the wilderness could prove of great worth to the success of this mission, and your past services to me have also been invaluable. Congratulations, you're on the team." [Sado]

"You," he says, pointing at the former Gorukan gladiator-slave. "Your varied skills, and your specialized combat techniques will be very helpful. The team could use a combatant such as yourself. You're on the team." [Insight]

Then he turns to the others. [The following did not make the cut.]

"You," he says, pointing at the legionnaire. "A disciplined fighting man such as yourself, skilled on defensive techniques, would be a valuable addition to any fighting force. But I feel your skills are best used when teamed up with other legionnaires. We could use you in our elite infantry corps though, if you're interested." [Nac Mac Feegle]

"You," he says, pointing to the Paladin/Sorcerer of The Transcendental Order of The Knights-Arcane. "You would also be a valuable addition to any team, but the team I'm assembling already has two arcanists in it, a wizard and a bard, and though there's no harm in a third arcanist, the team could probably benefit more from someone who focused more on pure combat. But members of your Order are always welcome here." [hero4hire]

"You, Morrison" he says, pointing to the Monk/Cleric. "Your combination of skills would also benefit any group. You have many of the same advantages as the gnome cleric, only with more melee skills and less spellcasting abilities. I feel the spellcasting would be of greater use to the team. Sorry." [RillianPA]

This was a very tough choice. Sorry to those that didn't make it, and welcome to those that did :)

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
DM, do you want us to post the particulars of our characters (I made a few changes on mine), or should we post them on a Rogues' Gallery thread or the like?

silentspace

First Post
Good idea Nac, let's keep all three of you as alternates.

Insight, how about posting your characters here for now. I'm thinking of starting new threads once we get this party started. The old threads are only a few pages long, but we're pretty much entering a new chapter here.

Someone - sticking with the rogue levels? Looks ok. I'll review it in more detail later.

Insight - A good story. And an interesting aspect of Gorukan culture. Let's say that Lucan and his family are a conquered people, now part of Goruka. Goruka's been expanding, and they enslave many of the conquered. Lucan can even be old enough to remember when the Gorukans came, slaughtering all who opposed them.

Insight

Adventurer
silentspace said:
Insight, how about posting your characters here for now. I'm thinking of starting new threads once we get this party started. The old threads are only a few pages long, but we're pretty much entering a new chapter here.

You got it. (Below)

Insight - A good story. And an interesting aspect of Gorukan culture. Let's say that Lucan and his family are a conquered people, now part of Goruka. Goruka's been expanding, and they enslave many of the conquered. Lucan can even be old enough to remember when the Gorukans came, slaughtering all who opposed them.

That works for me. As you will see in my character post, I kind of summarized his background for now. I'll include some of that.

Insight

Adventurer
Lucan of Shelor

Lucan of Shelor
Human Monk 2, 1,100 XP.

Neutral Good

Ability Scores
STR 16 (+3) (10)
DEX 16 (+3) (10)
CON 10 (+0) (2)
INT 12 (+1) (4)
WIS 14 (+2) (6)
CHA 8 (-1) (0)

Skills: Esc Artist (5) +8, Hide (5) +8, Jump (3) +6, Move Silently (5) +8, Profession - Prize Fighter (2) +4, Sense Motive (5) +7, and Tumble (5) +8.

Feats: Dodge and Expertise.

Class Abilities: Bonus Feat (Stunning Fist FSDC 13, 2/day), Flurry of Blows, Wis Bonus (+2) to AC, Bonus Feat (Combat Reflexes), and Evasion.

Combat Abilities:
Saves:
- Fort: +3
- Ref: +6
- Will: +5

Armor Class: 15
- Touch AC: 15
- FF AC: 10

HP: 14
BAB: +1
Init: +3

Attack Forms: Unarmed Attack: Att +4 (or +2/+2), Dmg 1d6+3, Crit 20/x2. MW Kama: Att +5 (or +3/+3 flurry), Dmg 1d6+3, Crit 20/x2. Shuriken: Att +4, Dmg 1d2+3, Crit 20/x2, RI 10.

Mundane Equipment: Kama (2gp), Pair of Nunchaku (4gp), 5 Shuriken (1gp), Light Crossbow and 20 Bolts (37gp), Backpack (2gp), Bedroll (1sp), Caltrops (1gp), Flint & Steel (1gp), Hooded Lantern (7gp), 3 Flasks of Oil (3sp), 5 Days of Trail Rations (5gp), 2 Sacks (2sp), Waterskin (1gp), Peasant's Outfit (1sp).

Special Equipment: Masterwork Kama (302gp), 4 Potions of Mage Armor (200gp), 4 Potions of Cure Lt Wounds (200gp).

Coinage: 134 gold, 21 silver, and 20 copper.

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 155 lbs.
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Homeland: Goruka

Background Notes: Born in Oludan, a formerly independent kingdom since conquered by Goruka... taken as a slave at age 7, along with his sister Taisa... Master Rogolka made him a house servant, served for 7 years until Rogolka got into the gladiator business... Rogolka trained Lucan in combat and sent him to the arena to fight for money... though Rogolka bet against the boy early on, eventually Lucan became a winner and made the slaver lots of cash... escaped arena pens and made it all the way across the wilds to the outskirts of Shillen, at Carodan Keep... hired on as a scout for Warden Ricsten.

Last edited:

Remove ads