Recruitment- PLANESCAPE: Intrigue. Reopened

Necropolitan

Adventurer
Okay, I'll get right on that.

My current plan's a level 5 Faction Agent Background Variant Human Fiend-Pact Warlock.

Are factions other than the main ones available for players? Like The Corcino Family?

Last edited:

Nordom

Explorer
Potential players, please give me your thoughts on whether you think this is something worth carefully implementing, or if it should be avoided. The 'why' would be important in your stance -

Confederates:

In some quests, a character or multiple characters in the party will be briefed by me prior to the adventure, but unlike the rest of the group, they possess their own motives and goals for the particular arc. Alongside the main objective, this character will actively pursue their unique agenda, sometimes leading to unforeseen outcomes and extra opportunities for role-play.

Pros:
-An added layer of intrigue
-More character development, and group-dynamic development
-Dynamic conflicts (can also be a Con)
-Tough choices (can also be a Con)

Cons:
-Lack of group cohesiveness (may range from humorous to full-on IC conflict - again which may be a pro in certain circumstances)
-Tough choices - the toughest one being - can this character remain in the party? Maybe a shorter way to frame this entire question is: how critical is in-character group cohesiveness in a PbP campaign?

Ways I think it might work: If the character's unique objectives do not interfere, or minimally interfere with the group's objectives. Example: Group is hired as bounty hunters to capture Joe alive and bring him to Bob. Character's unique objective is to steal a few items from Joe's house and also take his favorite sapphire.

Ways I think it might not work: If the character's unique objectives directly interfere with the group's objective. Example: Group is hired as bounty hunters to capture Joe alive and bring him to Bob. Character's unique objective is to kill Joe, and will make it seem like an accident so the group doesn't get suspicious. Even with subterfuge - if everyone eventually finds out, then the character is in trouble with the group, and the types I'm recruiting for this campaign aren't exactly forgiving. Also, the original employer - Bob - is not one to mess around with and may seek retribution for not carrying out his instructions.

Might be interesting though, as certain things don't go quite according to plan, and it turns out the perpetrator was one in the group all along.

Last edited:

Nordom

Explorer

Necropolitan

Adventurer
Potential players, please give me your thoughts on whether you think this is something worth carefully implementing, or if it should be avoided. The 'why' would be important in your stance -

Confederates:

In some quests, a character or multiple characters in the party will be briefed by me prior to the adventure, but unlike the rest of the group, they possess their own motives and goals for the particular arc. Alongside the main objective, this character will actively pursue their unique agenda, sometimes leading to unforeseen outcomes and extra opportunities for role-play.

Pros:
-An added layer of intrigue
-More character development, and group-dynamic development
-Dynamic conflicts (can also be a Con)
-Tough choices (can also be a Con)

Cons:
-Lack of group cohesiveness (may range from humorous to full-on IC conflict - again which may be a pro in certain circumstances)
-Tough choices - the toughest one being - can this character remain in the party?

Ways I think it might work: If the character's unique objectives do not interfere, or minimally interfere with the group's objectives. Example: Group is hired as bounty hunters to capture Joe alive and bring him to Bob. Character's unique objective is to steal a few items from Joe's house and also take his favorite sapphire.

Ways I think it might not work: If the character's unique objectives directly interfere with the group's objective. Example: Group is hired as bounty hunters to capture Joe alive and bring him to Bob. Character's unique objective is to kill Joe, and will make it seem like an accident so the group doesn't get suspicious. Even with subterfuge - if everyone eventually finds out, then the character is in trouble with the group, and the types I'm recruiting for this campaign aren't exactly forgiving. Might be interesting though, as certain things don't go quite according to plan, and it turns out the perpetrator was one in the group all along.
I think having the group act at cross-purposes will cause more trouble than it's worth.

Maybe have it so each character is achieving their separate objectives by working together instead?

For example: The party works together to break into a house. One of them is trying to rob the safe, another wants a specific item on display, a third has an assassination target in the house and the fourth is seeking to rescue someone held prisoner there.

Each of them can accomplish their tasks and working together makes it easier for each one of them to do it.

Nordom

Explorer
I think having the group act at cross-purposes will cause more trouble than it's worth.

Maybe have it so each character is achieving their separate objectives by working together instead?

For example: The party works together to break into a house. One of them is trying to rob the safe, another wants a specific item on display, a third has an assassination target in the house and the fourth is seeking to rescue someone held prisoner there.

Each of them can accomplish their tasks and working together makes it easier for each one of them to do it.
Thanks for that input. Even separate, non-conflicting goals may not be the best thing to consider until perhaps after a degree of camaraderie has been established. Would like to get some input from others too.

Last edited:

Nordom

Explorer
Yes, this would work well even with a group that doesn't know each other well

Remove ads