[Recruitment, slots still open] Core D&D Survivor, Level 1-20

dpdx

Explorer
Say, Wippit: I take it your guy is a dwarf, right? :D

GP, it's your game, so I take it you'll be the "host." So when do we get to see the stats on Jeff Probst? :)

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Forsaken One: Post a character sheet if you want to get in line as an alternate (you can post one now; if you don't want to play from the start, just specify that you don't want to bump any of the previous posters out.)

If their email is public, I'll be emailing alternates as they come into the game (which won't be such a rare thing! :p )

dpdx: Actually, I'm basing the host more off the guy from Iron Chef :) You know, the guy who unveils the ingredients, and isn't dubbed over (or didn't used to be)... He just seems more D&D appropriate :)

And no, you don't get to see his stats! I'm not gonna help the players out if they end up mutinying :)

Last edited:

I suppose also just PHB races?

I'm looking at Sun Elf +2 int -2 Con and some feats, like tatoo focus, spellcasting prodigy and stuff like that.

If available please state so :p

Last edited:

ivanhoe

First Post
Oh this sounds like fun, put me in line as an alternate. Should i wait to make my char since i dont know what level he will be? Until i get to play i will just try to make amusing comments.

Female Human Evo1
Medium-Size Humanoid
HD: 1d4 +3 (7hp)
Init: +5
Speed: 30ft
AC: 11
Attacks: +1 Light Crossbow
Damage: Light Crossbow1d8
SQ/SA: Summon Familiar, Prohibited schools:
Saves: Fort: +3, Ref: +1, Will +2
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Craft (Poison) +8, Spellcraft +8, Concentration +7, Knowledge (Planes) +8, Knowledge (Religion) +8, Knowledge (Arcana) +8, Knowledge (Undead) +8
Feats: Scribe Scroll, Improved Initiative,
Appearance: Age 29, height 5'8", 127 lbs
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Deity: -
Languages: Common, Draconic, Infernal, Abyssal, Celestial.

Spells: (Base DC 14 +Spell level +4 for Evocation spells)
0 - level Wizard Spells (Cantrips)
Detect Magic (x2)
Mage Hand

1st - level Wizard Spells (8)

Posessions:

Light Crossbow
10 bolts
Toad Familiar
Spellbook
3 potions of cure light wounds
Scroll Case
Scroll of Mage Armor
Scroll of Spider Climb
Scroll of Color Spray
3 Scrolls of Magic Missile

(A few gp left.. dont bother how much)

Gotta redo some stuff, made this in like 2 mins :S

Last edited:

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Nope to Sun Elf, PsiHB, et al... As we've all seen many a time, you can make very powerful "magic bullet" characters using expansion rules. While these are fun to play around with, and I don't have any objection to them in principle, it kind of defeats the notion of a "challenge" or "competition" when there's almost no way for you to lose. Generally I've found that with those characters, it's easy to find a way to kill them (just twink something out extra) or to let them win... There's not much middle ground, which is the focus of this competition.

Also, I don't know what PHB you have, but there's no Greater Spell Focus in mine. Nor do I recall humans getting three feats at first level... Also, Sleep is from the Enchantment school, one you've listed as prohibited. Also, what I assume to be your bonus spell (shield) is an Abjuration, not an Evocation. Also, a first-level Wizard with a 10 Wisdom would have a Will Save of +2, not +3. Perhaps you changed your mind about your character along the way and didn't make proper changes throughout? If I'm wrong or missing something about any of the above, let me know.

On a happier note, you're short-changing yourself on skills as well: Humans get one bonus skill point per level, or four at first, so you've got four left to spend. :)

And while we're fine-tooth combing: Wippit, a Heavy Crossbow has a 19-20/x2 critical, not a x3 critical. Just a note :)

BTW, Forsaken One, could you include a name (or is that a secret :) )? Thanks for including languages and physical stats BTW (although technically she's older than the PHB starting ages -- but I'm not going to be that nit-picky, unless someone tries to start at middle age or a week before middle age or whatever to cash in on mental bonuses :) )... I'd appreciate if everyone else could do that as well, as these things may sometimes become relevant (I haven't planned out more than a handful of the twenty challenges yet, so who knows?)

Also, a note, since you're playing a Wizard: Include the spells you have in your spellbook, and add them per PHB instructions. Two freebies each level, plus scrolls will be available for purchase (keep in mind these are lost when copied.) I'm cutting down the time to write a spell by one day (actually, the PHB is just a little ambiguous, so I'm erring in the player's favor): One day to read and understand the spell (making the Spellcraft check), then one day per spell level after that to add the spell.

Regarding Craft (poison), you can use the rules in Song & Silence for that... I don't want to disallow it (as the Craft skill is open-ended by Core Rules), and those seem to be the safest available (famous last words, I'm sure :) )

Also note: You'll be warned about your challenge the night before it happens -- ten hours before, specifically. This leaves two hours for spell prep and last minute purchases... You can make up to two transactions per hour (a transaction is buying or selling one item, or up to five items of a single type.) in this intervening time... During the week between contests, transactions are effectively unlimited. This gives some marginal benefit to rings of sustenance, being an elf, and the like...

Remove ads