Red Box Fantasy

Jake Harkins

First Post
Redbox fantasy RPG is all I play, I've been playing now for years since I discovered it and bought it from Lulu.com and have been playing madly in the world created by Paige. The Halfling Acrobat and Armor Turtle are my favorite achetypes, played a Davenport Wizard and a Berserker before and had a blast. My close friend Beck strangled a Gugg to death with her Dwarven Lush, a kind of drunken monk like fighter. I am actively playing at Convention and Events. So, if you attend, Gamehole Con, GaryCon, or Nexus-expect to see games in the program for RBFRPG

aramis erak

Legend
Just wanted to announce that the PDF versions of all 3 of the existing Red Box Fantasy books are now free to download.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=292230

The player's portfolio is the only one still free.

The other two PDFs are $2.50 each

Looking thrugh the player's portfolio...
Mechanics fairly clearly presented.
Layout has issues - many pages have 7.5" wide columns, examples not called out by style nor boxing.
Art's decent.

Skill system simplistic, but with a twist - it explicitly covers HD monsters with skills as well

Many rules are based upon total hit dice of monster or level of character, with the same thresholds.

Multi-attack limits to 2 extra...

Interesting. Not interesting enough to get me to pay for the PDF, but on a lazy summer day, I may give it a whirl. It's close to d20/3.5 in many things, but the differences are going trip people.

Jake Harkins

First Post
Yes, with purchase of the the physical or PDF or even the Triple threat your character receives extra equipment. I think that's a sweet bonus and I feel it did a better job of updating the greatest game before they updated it themselves. So a retro-feeling offering. Now the Pirate Kingdoms book is really cool as a standard D20 suppliment as well bring flavor to any setting.

paigeoliver

First Post
Lulu must have expired the sale at some point. PDFs of the main books are free again.

If you buy a physical copy of Triple Threat and email me your receipt from Lulu then I will send you the mostly completed 276 page advanced character creation system. paigeoliver at gmail

If you post a review of the system anywhere and email me the link then I will send you "The Extraplanar Keep of Lord Kraxus", a suitable home base for high level characters, or simply a place to stop off while visiting the planes. paigeoliver at gmail

aramis erak

Legend
Having taken a quick skim through the other two books...

Again, layout is an issue. Some of the tables could be tweaked for better look with just a few seconds each. Several parts of both books are in 7.5" wide single column - that's hard to read, especially for those with certain visual-based reading disorders (esp. Dyslexia, Scotopic Sensitivity, Macular Degeneration). The GMG's tables for magic items are in small fonts and have overly large cell padding for the font/face/size used.

The GM's Guide general rules section is organized in an unusual manner: Alphabetical by keyword. Makes things easier to find, but puts Gold several pages from Money. (Side note to Paige: cross-reference entries, eg: Coinage - See Money would be useful in several cases.) This is great for reference, not so good for initial learning. There are designer commentaries interspersed.

There are some interesting deviations from d20/3.5 - like Resurrection always fails on Elves... and why... are buried in there.

The monsters in the bestiary are mostly familiar, but some are subtly altered.

There's an entire game world buried behind these, an implied world (as a trope set) that's as different from 3.5 as it is from Moldvay.

Damnit, now I want to delve more into it.

Remove ads