• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Red Hand of Doom 4.0

Boarstorm

First Post
Benimoto said:
Okay, some specific feedback about the monsters you've got here. [...]

Been slammed lately. Will get around to fixing those guys as soon as I have some time to sit down and tinker.

Regarding Koth -- Be careful applying the class templates, apparently. :) They increase the complexity of monsters significantly.

I think it's definitely something to do sparingly.

Benimoto

First Post
Ah, a lazy Saturday afternoon spent designing monsters. I worked backwards from the end, so here's the last few enemies the PCs face.

[sblock]
Aspect of Tiamat Level 15 Solo Brute
Large elemental beast (dragon) XP 6000
Initiative +11 Senses Perception +10; darkvision
HP 750; Bloodied 375
AC 30; Fortitude 35, Reflex 28, Will 31
Resist 15 acid, 15 cold, 15 fire, 15 lightning, 15 poison
Saving Throws +5
Speed 6, fly 8, overland flight 12
Action Points: 2
:bmelee: Bite (standard; at-will) * Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, or Poison
Reach 3; +18 vs. AC; 1d8 + 6 plus 5 acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison damage.
:close: Breath Weapon (standard; at-will) * Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, or Poison
Close blast 5; +16 vs. Reflex; 3d6 + 6 acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison damage. The aspect of Tiamat varies its breath weapon damage types and does not use the same type of damage on two subsequent turns.
:melee: Tiamat's Fury (standard; when the aspect of Tiamat does not move more than 1 square on its turn; at will) * Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison
The aspect of Tiamat makes one breath weapon attack and four bite attacks. All five attacks deal different types of energy damage.
:melee: Tail Sting (opportunity attacks; at will) * Poison
Range 3; +20 vs. AC; 1d8 + 6 damage and the target is weakened (save ends). The aspect of Tiamat uses this attack for opportunity attacks exclusively.
Many Headed
Each time the aspect of Tiamat becomes dazed or stunned, it loses one attack on its next turn instead. It loses the breath weapon attack first. Multiple such effects stack.
Threatening Reach
The aspect of Tiamat can make opportunity attacks against all enemies within its reach (3 squares). See tail sting.
Skills Intimidate +19
Alignment Evil Languages Draconic
Str 22 (+13) Dex 19 (+11) Wis 16 (+10)
Con 22 (+13) Int 13 (+8) Cha 14 (+9)

Aspect of Tiamat Tactics: The aspect of Tiamat moves quickly into range of its targets and blasts them with its breath weapon. It then uses an action point to launch into its Tiamat's fury attack immediately. If given room to maneuver, the aspect of Tiamat prefers to move into a position 2-3 squares away from its main threats, so that those enemies provoke an opportunity attack to either close or flee. The aspect is convinced of its divine superiority over all creatures and fights to the death in all circumstances.

Notes: The aspect of Tiamat combines all the worst parts of fighting an adult red dragon and a hydra. Its brutish nature trades AC and accuracy for a truly punishing amount of offensive power. I'm not sure if the breath weapon needs to deal damage on a miss. Thematically, it should, but the aspect sure doesn't need the extra damage. I decided on a weakening effect instead of poison damage on the tail sting for since the aspect already does poison damage with its normal attacks and I thought it needed at least one status-inflicting attack.

High Wyrmlord Azarr Kul Level 14 Elite Soldier
Medium natural humanoid XP 2000
Initiative +10 Senses Perception +11
HP 284; Bloodied 147
AC 32; Fortitude 32, Reflex 28, Will 31
Saving Throws +2
Speed 5
Action Points: 1
:bmelee: Dragonfang Heavy Pick (standard; at-will) * Weapon
+21 vs. AC; 2d8 + 6 damage (crit 2d8 + 22) and the target is marked until the end of Azarr Kul's next turn.
:bmelee: Dragoncraft Shield (standard; at-will)
+21 vs. AC; 2d8 + 6, the target is marked until the end of Azarr Kul's next turn and Azarr Kul makes a secondary attack against the same target. Secondary attack: +19 vs. Fortitude; the target is pushed 1 square or knocked prone.
Tiamat's Wrath (minor; recharges when first bloodied) * Lightning
The next basic melee attack Azarr Kul makes is a critical hit and deals an extra 3d6 lightning damage.
:close: Antilife Shell (minor; until bloodied; at-will) * Necrotic
Close burst 3; +17 vs. Fortitude; 1d10 + 6 necrotic damage and the target is pushed 2 squares and knocked prone. Miss: the target is pushed 1 square and not knocked prone.
:ranged: High Wyrmlord's Challenge (immediate reaction; when a marked enemy within 5 shifts or ends their turn without making an attack targeting Azarr Kull; at will) * Lightning
Azarr Kul breathes lightning upon the target: Ranged 10; +19 vs. Reflex; 2d10 + 4 lightning damage. This attack does not provoke opportunity attacks.
Alignment Evil Languages Common, Draconic, Goblin, Supernal
Skills Athletics +18, Insight +16, Intimidate +15, Religion +14
Str 22 (+13) Dex 16 (+10) Wis 18 (+11)
Con 14 (+11) Int 12 (+9) Cha 16 (+10)
Equipment blue dragonfang heavy pick, red dragoncraft heavy shield, black dragoncraft scale armor, holy symbol of Tiamat

Azarr Kul's Tactics: Upon entering melee, Azarr Kul moves adjacent to his target and spends an action point to invoke Tiamat's wrath, make a melee attack, and then activate his antilife shell. Until he is bloodied, Azarr Kul focuses on a single target, using his antilife shell to repel other enemies. Once he is bloodied, Azarr Kul becomes desperate, using any technique or tactic possible to inflict maximum damage upon his enemies.

Notes: I don't know if this properly conveys the threat of the High Wyrmlord, but it's a stab at it. He loses all his clerical casting, his breath weapon, and really anything to distinguish him as a half-dragon aside from his extremely high strength. Azarr Kul should shock the party with his initial fury, but becomes weaker as the fight progresses.

Blue Abishai Level 11 Skirmisher
Medium immortal humanoid (devil) XP 600
Initiative +10 Senses Perception +6; darkvision
HP 114; Bloodied 47
AC 25; Fortitude 22, Reflex 24, Will 19
Resist 10 fire
Speed 7, fly 9 (hover); See also flyby attack
:bmelee: Tail Lash (standard; at-will) * Lightning
+16 vs. AC; 1d8 + 3 plus 5 ongoing lightning damage (save ends).
:bmelee: Claws (standard; at-will)
+16 vs. AC; 2d6 + 5 damage.
:melee: Flyby Attack (standard;at-will)
The asbshai flies up to 9 squares and makes one basic melee attack at any point during the movement. The blue abishai does not provoke opportunity attacks while moving away from the target.
Alignment Evil Languages Supernal
Str 16 (+8) Dex 21 (+10) Wis 13 (+6)
Con 18 (+9) Int 11 (+5) Cha 15 (+7)

Blue Abishai Tactics: Blue abishai prefer to lash their enemies with their shocking tails, but will use their claws against an enemy already suffering from ongoing lightning damage. They use flyby attack to close with an enemy, strike, and then fly away without putting themselves at unnecessary risk.

Notes: Without their spell-like abilities, blue abishai are fairly simple flying skirmishers. They are resistant to fire like all devils seem to be.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
Is there any reason it wouldn't move up, and tiamat's fury twice in a row (and possibly twice in the next round, too). Might be reasonable to say it can't use the same type of breath weapon two rounds in a row, even if that's almost purely a flavor thing. The tail sting seems like a really very high attack bonus - also, I think there is a way to mark an attack as opportunity attack only (ie, instead of 'standard')

Isn't it spelled Abishai?

For the high wyrmlord's challenge, I'd be tempted to make it a ranged lightning attack instead of having him shift all around. The shield attack as a basic is pretty nasty, btw :)

Benimoto

First Post
keterys said:
Is there any reason it wouldn't move up, and tiamat's fury twice in a row (and possibly twice in the next round, too). Might be reasonable to say it can't use the same type of breath weapon two rounds in a row, even if that's almost purely a flavor thing. The tail sting seems like a really very high attack bonus - also, I think there is a way to mark an attack as opportunity attack only (ie, instead of 'standard')

Isn't it spelled Abishai?

For the high wyrmlord's challenge, I'd be tempted to make it a ranged lightning attack instead of having him shift all around. The shield attack as a basic is pretty nasty, btw :)
Great feedback, keterys.

Okay, I've changed the aspect so that it can only use multiple attacks if it doesn't move much. Its melee reach covers basically the entire ground floor of the fane anyways. So maybe I just should say that it uses its fury attack as much as possible. I corrected a few details (abishai spelling, forgot Azarr Kul and the aspect's defensive bonuses). I lowered the aspect's bonus on opportunity attacks to +2. Azarr Kul's shield attack doesn't have to be a basic, but it's similar to the fighter's at-will. I just thought I'd give him something to do if he's disarmed or is just getting bored with his pick. ;)

And I think Azarr Kul's challenge taking the form of his breath weapon is brilliant. I can just imagine him roaring "I thought I told you to fight me!" before blasting a target like that.

Benimoto

First Post
Okay, I've been working on some more conversions in my spare time.

First, here's what we need to finish off the conversions for part 5:
[sblock]
Advanced Wraith Level 10 Lurker
Medium shadow humanoid (undead) XP 500
Initiative +14 Senses Perception +6; darkvision
HP 82; Bloodied 41
Regeneration 10 (in the wraith takes radiant damage, regeneration is negated until the end of the wraith's next turn)
AC 21; Fortitude 18, Reflex 21, Will 19
Immune disease, poison; Resist 10 necrotic, insubstantial; Vulnerable 5 radiant (see also regeneration above)
Speed fly 6 (hover); phasing; See also shadow glide
:bmelee: Shadow Touch (standard; at-will) * Necrotic
+13 vs. Reflex; 1d8 + 5 damage, and the target is weakened (save ends).
Combat Advantage * Necrotic
The advanced wraith deals an extra 1d8 necrotic damage against any target it has combat advantage against.
Shadow Glide (move; encounter)
The advanced wraith shifts 6 squares.
Spawn Wraith
Any humanoid killed by an advanced wraith rises as a free-willed advanced wraith at the start of its creator's next turn, appearing in the space where it died (or the nearest unoccupied space). Raising the slain creature (using the Raise Dead ritual) does not destroy the spawned wraith.
Alignment Chaotic Evil Languages Common
Skills Stealth +15
Str 6 (+3) Dex 21 (+10) Wis 12 (+6)
Con 16 (+8) Int 8 (+4) Cha 18 (+9)

Wraith Tactics: Same as in the monster manual, page 266.

Notes: Plain monster manual wraiths leveled up to level 10.

Doom Hand Warpriest Level 11 Elite Soldier (leader)
Medium natural humanoid XP 1200
Initiative +10 Senses Perception +8; low-light vision
Red Hand Standardbearer: Aura 10; allies in the aura gain a +2 power bonus to one attack roll, skill check, ability check, or saving throw on their turn.
HP 232; Bloodied 116
AC 29; Fortitude 27, Reflex 25, Will 26
Saving Throws +2
Speed 5
Action Points 1
:bmelee: Flail of Doom (standard; at-will) * Weapon, Fear
+18 vs. AC; 1d10 + 7 damage, the target is marked until the end of the doom hand warpriest's next turn and the warpriest makes a secondary attack against the same target. Secondary Attack: +16 vs. Will; the target takes a -4 to attack rolls (save ends).
:ranged: Doom Hand Command (standard; recharge :6: ) * Charm
Ranged 10; +16 vs. Will; 2d10 + 7 damage and the target is dominated until the end of the warpriest's next turn.
Hobgoblin Resilience (immediate reaction, when the doom hand warpriest suffers an effect that a save can end; encounter)
The doom hand warpriest rolls a saving throw against the effect.
Skills Athletics +16, History +12, Intimidate +15, Religion +12
Alignment Evil Languages Common, Goblin
Str 22 (+11) Dex 17 (+8) Wis 18 (+8)
Con 20 (+10) Int 14 (+7) Cha 21 (+10)

Doom Hand Warpriest Tactics: The warpriest eagerly wades into battle swinging its flail. It uses the doom hand command as often as possible to turn a weak-willed or highly damaging enemy against its own forces.

Notes: Should I have made this guy more like a PC warpriest? He's really just a leveled-up hobgoblin hand of Bane with some power changes.
[/sblock]

Next, a few monsters for part 4. With the bluespawn, greenspawn and blood ghost conversions, this should be enough monsters for part 4, aside from any bonedrinkers following from part 3.
[sblock]
Wyrmlord Hravek Kharn Level 12 Elite Soldier (leader)
Initiative +12 Senses Perception +9; low-light vision
Rage of the Horde aura 10; allies in the aura take -2 to their AC and gain +4 to their damage.
HP 260; Bloodied 130; see also this isn't finished
AC 30 (28 when bloodied); Fortitude 32, Reflex 26, Will 27
Saving Throws +2
Speed 5
Action Points 1
:bmelee: Greatsword (standard; at-will) * Weapon
+19 vs. AC; 2d6 + 5 damage and the target is marked until the end of General Kharn's next turn.
:bmelee: Wounding War Pick (standard; at-will) * Weapon
+19 vs. AC; 1d8 + 6 (crit 1d8+14) plus 3 ongoing damage and the target is marked until the end of General Kharn's next turn.
:melee: Dazing Assault (standard; at-will) * Weapon
General Kharn makes two basic melee attacks. If both attacks hit the same target, Kharn makes a secondary attack against that target. Secondary Attack: +17 vs. Fortitude; the target is dazed (save ends).
General's Challenge (immediate reaction; when an adjacent opponent shifts or makes an attack that does not target General Kharn; at-will)
General Kharn gains 1 action point (max 1).
Warlord's Rage (when first bloodied; encounter)
General Kharn gains -2 to AC and +4 damage for the rest of the encounter.
This Isn't Finished! (the first General Kharn drops to 0 hit points) * Healing
Make a new initiative check for General Kharn. On his turn, he rises to his feet again (as a move action) with 130 hit points. He takes a -2 to attacks for the rest of the encounter.
Hobgoblin Resilience (immediate reaction, when General Kharn suffers an effect that a save can end; recharge :6: )
General Kharn rolls a saving throw against the effect.
Alignment Evil Languages Common, Draconic, Goblin
Skills Athletics +16, Insight +14, Intimidate +18
Str 21 (+11) Dex 18 (+10) Wis 16 (+9)
Con 26 (+14) Int 14 (+8) Cha 24 (+13)
Equipment greatsword, war pick, plate armor

General Kharn's Tactics: Kharn charges into battle with his greatsword, reserving his pick as a backup weapon. On the first round of combat, and any other time he has action points available, he strikes twice with his dazing assault. He tries to mark weak opponents in order to use his general's challenge more often.

Notes: Kharn starts the battle as a solider and gradually becomes more of a brute. I need to run a test combat to see if his ability to regain action points is a little too much. Try to surprise the party with his “this isn't finished!” ability.

Kulkor Zuul War Adept Level 10 Artillery
Medium natural humanoid XP 500
Initiative +8 Senses Perception +4; low-light vision
HP 80; Bloodied 40
AC 22; Fortitude 20, Reflex 24, Will 22
Speed 6
:bmelee: Staff (standard; at-will) * Weapon
+17 vs. AC; 1d8 + 5 damage.
:ranged: Lightning Bolt (standard; recharge :4: :5: :6: ) * Lightning
Range 10; +15 vs. Reflex; 2d6 + 8 lightning damage and the war adept makes a secondary attack against two targets within 10 squares of the primary target. Secondary Attack: +15 vs. Reflex, 1d6+8 lightning damage.
:ranged: Mind Twist (standard; at-will) * Psychic
Range 20; +15 vs. Will; 1d8 + 5 psychic damage and the target is dazed (save ends).
Tactical Teleport (move; recharges when bloodied) * Teleport
The war adept teleports 6 squares.
Hobgoblin Resilience (immediate reaction, when the war adept suffers an effect that a save can end; encounter)
The war adept rolls a saving throw against the effect.
Str 9 (+4) Dex 13 (+6) Wis 8 (+4)
Con 14 (+7) Int 26 (+13) Cha 15 (+7)

Kulkor Zuul War Adept Tactics: War adepts fight with their psychic and lightning attacks. If threatened in melee, they use their tactical teleport to escape.

Notes: Pretty simple. No more invisibility or summoning, but those seemed out of place on a war adept anyways.

Skather, Blackspawn Ninja Level 9 Solo Lurker
Initiative +14 Senses Perception +11; low-light vision
HP 384; Bloodied 192; See also swift invisibility
AC 25; Fortitude 22, Reflex 24, Will 21
Saving Throws +5
Speed 7
Action Points 2
:bmelee: Poisoned Short Sword (standard; at-will) * Weapon, Poison
+14 vs. AC; 1d6 + 5 damage plus 5 ongoing poison damage (save ends).
:melee: Double Attack (standard; at-will) * Weapon
Skather makes two poisoned short sword attacks.
:branged: Poisoned Shortbow (standard; at-will) * Poison, Weapon
Range 20/40; +14 vs. Reflex; 1d8 damage and Skather makes a secondary attack against the same target. Secondary Attack: +12 vs. Fortitude; the target takes10 ongoing poison damage (save ends).
:ranged: Assassin's Arrow (standard, recharge :6: ) * Poison, Weapon
Requires combat advantage. Range 30/60; +16 vs. Reflex; 1d8 damage and Skather makes a secondary attack against the same target. Secondary Attack: +14 vs. Fortitude; the target takes10 ongoing poison damage (save ends). First Failed Save: the damage increases to 15 ongoing poison damage. Second Failed Save: the damage increases to 20 ongoing poison damage.
:melee: Vicious Riposte (immediate interrupt; when an opponent makes an opportunity attack against Skather; at-will) * Weapon
Skather makes a basic melee attack against that opponent.
Combat Advantage
Skather deals an extra 2d6 damage on melee or ranged attacks against any targets he has combat advantage against.
Swift Invisibility (minor, recharge :5: :6: ) * Illusion
Skather becomes invisible until the beginning of his next turn or until he takes damage.
Alignment Evil Languages Common, Draconic
Skills Acrobatics +15, Athletics +12, Endurance +11, Perception +11, Stealth +18
Str 17 (+7) Dex 22 (+10) Wis 16 (+7)
Con 16 (+6) Int 14 (+6) Cha 12 (+5)
Equipment short sword, short bow

Skather's Tactics: Skather is used to fighting alone and engages multiple targets with reckless impunity. On the first round of combat, he uses his swift invisibility power to vanish from sight and then uses an action point to make two double attacks. He prefers to spread out his attacks among multiple targets to get full value from the poison. If given the opportunity to hide, he will do so in order to use his assassin's arrow against a high-value target.

Notes: Skather has unusual accuracy and range with his shortbow. The module indicates that he works alone, so I made him a solo, despite the ungodly amount of hit points that gives him. Does his invisibility make him too elusive and deadly?

Kulkor Zuul Mindbender Level 10 Controller (leader)
Medium natural humanoid XP 500
Telepathic Superiority aura 10; allies in the aura cannot be flanked and gain +2 to one attack on their turns.
Initiative +8 Senses Perception +4; low-light vision
HP 101; Bloodied 50
AC 22; Fortitude 20, Reflex 21, Will 26
Speed 6
:bmelee: Dagger (standard; at-will) * Weapon
+15 vs. AC; 1d8 + 5 damage.
:ranged: Enslave Mind (standard; recharge :5: :6: ) * Charm
Range 10; +13 vs. Will; The target is dominated (save ends). The mindbender can enslave only one creature at a time.
:area: Psychic Whip (standard; at-will) * Psychic
Burst 2 within 10; targets enemies; +13 vs. Will; 1d6+7 damage and the target is slowed and takes -2 to attacks (save ends both).
Hobgoblin Resilience (immediate reaction, when the mindbender suffers an effect that a save can end; encounter)
The mindbender rolls a saving throw against the effect.
Str 11 (+5) Dex 11 (+5) Wis 10 (+5)
Con 13 (+6) Int 17 (+8) Cha 25 (+12)

Kulkor Zuul Mindbender Tactics: The mindbender immediately works to dominate a target using its enslave mind power. During a combat, it avoids melee, attacking with its psychic whip. When a target breaks its domination, the mindbender attempts to enslave another as soon as possible.

Notes: There is now only one of these monsters in the whole module, although Nurklenak should be an elite one of these.
[/sblock]

I've been working on my conversion document, figuring out where treasure goes and coming up with 4e conversion for other encounter elements, such as skill checks, terrain and traps. I'll post the updated version soon.

keterys

First Post
That's an interesting poison - or any kind of ongoing amage - idea - Failed Save: Increase the amount of ongoing damage by 5.

Benimoto

First Post
Okay, I've been working hard on my conversion document. I have parts 1, 4 & 5 considerably more fleshed out and am working on parts 2 and 3. I need to make one more pass through the parts I have to assign specific treasure and flesh out some of the traps and skill challenges a little more, but I thought I'd post what I have.

Introduction and Part 1:
[sblock]RED HAND OF DOOM
General Notes on this Conversion: The purpose of this conversion document is to allow running the Red Hand of Doom adventure with D&D 4e rules. This document only supplements the adventure—it is assumed that you have a physical copy of the module. Due to the size of the adventure, some on-the-fly conversion will still be necessary. This module only covers major, experience-bearing encounters and skill checks. In many cases, you will have to covert some skill checks concerning background detail into their 4e skill equivalents. Additionally, you may have to improvise some details during skill challenges.

Preference is given to using monsters out of the Monster Manual when possible. This may mean that PCs are frequently fighting monsters up to 4 levels higher or lower than their own level. If your PCs are having trouble with these monsters, consider using the guideline for increasing or decreasing level given in the Dungeon Master's Guide (DMG 174).

The beast-like spawn of Tiamat are easy to convert, but the blackspawn raiders are trickier. Since they are essentially dragon-men, I just used dragonborn from the Monster Manual. You can describe them as normal dragonborn with a black dragon heritage, or as something more bestial, resembling normal dragonborn as orcs or gnolls resemble humans. Either way, they deal acid instead of fire damage with their breath weapons in all instances.

Where I give statistics for destroying an object, such as Skull Gorge bridge, I use level-appropriate ACs as used in Keep on the Shadowfell instead of the insignificant ones given in the DMG. It is my opinion that damaging an object is not just a matter of making contact, but of hitting the right spot, similar to dparcamaging a creature.

This conversion is intended for a group of 5 6th level characters, using standard XP rules, and will take them to midway level 12 if they do well in the adventure. Each part mentions at the beginning what level group it is intended for. If your group is lower-level, misses critical events or quests, or otherwise falls behind consider using random encounters to supplement their XP totals.

PART 1
Notes on Part 1: This part is intended for characters just starting 6th level and will take them to midway through 7th level.

Quest: Vault of Vraath Keep: This conversion assumes you are using the Vault of Vraath Keep hook from page 5. You can inform the players that finding the vault is a level 7 major quest, worth 1,500 XP. You can give them more hooks and more quests, especially if they could use the extra XP, but this conversion assumes just the quest hook.

Marauder Attack: level 9, 2,058 XP
Zarr, Doom Hand cleric (level 5 soldier) (custom)*
Uth-lar, hobgoblin bladebearer (level 5 skirmisher) (custom)*
12 hobgoblin warriors (level 8 minion) (MM 138)
2 hell hounds (level 7 brute) (MM 160)
Setup: Characters are assumed to be using their passive Perception skill when traveling. Those not making a DC 15 check are considered surprised at the beginning of the combat.
Tactics: The only major change in tactics is that Zarr no longer has the same abilities. Note that the hell hound has a damaging aura, and the hobgoblins should avoid being damaged.
Treasure: 1 parcel
Notes: As the module mentions, this is a difficult encounter, but it is within the range the DMG suggests for “hard” encounters. Be sure to adjust it for your own party. The DC to identify Zarr's holy symbol of Tiamat is the same, DC 15. Some minor information on Tiamat can be found in the DMG, page 163.

Riding Into Town: 200 XP
Minor skill challenge or
1 town guard (level 3 soldier) (MM 163)
3 human rabble (level 2 minion) (MM 163)
Interaction: You could treat interacting with the guards as a minor skill challenge, complexity 1 (4 successes before 2 failures) with easy (13) and moderate DCs (17) depending on the PCs' general tone. Alternately, feel free to resolve the whole encounter with roleplaying. If the PCs fail, they may have to sneak into town and risk being chased out of town by guards until they can gain the support of a prominent town citizen.

Jorr's Cabin: 200 XP
Minor skill challenge or
1 human berzerker (level 4 brute) (MM163)
Notes: Treat this encounter similarly to the encounter with the town guards, but PCs mentioning their intention to deal with the goblins automatically win the encounter.

The Witchwood: level 4-9, variable XP
Notes: No random encounters are necessary by these conversion guidelines, but if your party is underleveled or you just want to fight something, a few random encounters couldn't hurt. Make your own encounters, modify, or use these suggested ones:
shambling mound encounter (level 9, XP 1,900) (MM 232)
vine horror encounter (level 8, XP 1,900) (MM 260)
owlbear encounter (level 7, XP 1,650) (MM 212)
stirge encounter (level 7, XP 1,500) (MM 248)
bear encounter (level 6, XP 1,250) (MM 29)
harpy encounter (level 6, XP 1,250) (MM 154)
goblin outriders (same as in Vraath Keep stables)
boar encounter (level 5, XP 1,150) (MM 39)
ettercap encounter (level 4, XP 900) (MM 107)

Causeway: level 6, 1,250 XP
1 young hydra (level 6 solo brute) (custom)
Combat: The hydra hides in a similar fashion. It has improved cover, and a +5 Stealth modifier. Roll the hydra's stealth check. If the PCs beat its stealth check by less than 10, they see only a reptilian head in the water in the wagon. If they beat it by 10 or more, they notice the whole hydra.
Tactics: The hydra fights with the benefit of cover from the water, if possible. It climbs out onto the causeway only if it cannot reach its opponents any other way. It flees if reduced below 50 hit points.
Notes: Several hydras have boon posted in the thread which should do nicely here.

Vraath Keep
Most of the details about Vraath Keep and the goblin activity within should work well. See the notes on the stables for the change in what kind of mounts the goblins have and what tracks they might leave.
In the story of the keep, it mentions the Twistusks, a clan of forest giants. One possibility in the 4e conversion is that the Twistusks are a clan of fomorians or cyclopes, stranded from the feywild by a planar accident. This change is also noted in the conversion for Old Wracklegnaw below.

Gardner's Shack: level 6, 200 XP
Decrepit Shack trap!
Notes: I'm not going to bother with a full trap writeup here. It takes a Perception check, DC 20 to notice the hazard. At the end of each round in which a character stands in the shack, make a saving throw for the shack with a -2 modifier for each creature beyond the first. Failure means it collapses, attacking all within it at +9 vs Reflex for 1d10+4 damage.

Wolf Stables: level 6, 1,200 XP
3 dire wolves (level 5 skirmisher) (MM 264) or 3 rage drakes (level 5 brute) (MM 92)
3 goblin riders (level 5 skirmisher) (custom)
Creatures: There is one more pair of rider and mount here. The mounts are now large. See the notes below
Tactics: The goblins prefer to fight from wolfback (or drakeback) and do what they can to get mounted. The hobgoblins in the barracks need to make an effective Perception check of DC 22 (or 12 if the fight reaches into the courtyard), counting their distance and the walls between them.
Notes: Dire wolves are large and lack the association with goblins, but they fit well otherwise. Alternately, the goblins could ride rage drakes. That would be more dragonny, and foreshadow the stormlizards in part 4. On the minus side it might ramp up the fantasy quotient too fast. The transition from low-fantasy humanoids to high fantasy dragons and demons is a great feature of this adventure otherwise.

Spike-littered nest: level 5, 1,000 XP
1 manticore (level 10 elite skirmisher) (MM 184)
Tactics: The manticore just watches the fight unless attacked or unless Koth orders it onto battle. It prefers to stay on the roof, bombarding the party with spikes and spike volleys indefinitely. If the adventurers put up a decent ranged fight and it is alone, it alerts any hobgoblins it can.
Notes: A single level 10 elite is a workable but not optimal fight for a 6th level party. Its defenses and attacks may be very high compared to the party capabilities. If it is spoiling this fight, remember that it is not particularly committed to the fight. It may return to simply watching if the party is having difficulty hitting it, or it may just fly off, particularly if it is bloodied.

Barracks: level 6, 1,350 XP
Karkilan, minotaur fighter (level 7 elite brute) (custom)*
5 hobgoblin soldiers (level 3 soldier) (MM 139)
Creatures: There are 5 soldiers now. Karkilan is medium-sized.
Tactics: Hobgoblins without their armor and shields have a 14 AC and lose their phalanx fighting ability. Otherwise, tactics work as outlined in the module.

Wyrmlord Koth's Quarters: level 6, 1,200 XP
Wyrmlord Koth, bugbear wizard (level 7 elite controller) (custom)*
4 imps (level 3 lurker) (MM 63)
Creatures: Koth now has a small flock of imps accompanying him.
Tactics: Koth has no need for buffing spells or wands. If he decides fleeing is a better idea, he has no potions of fly, but is fast as an elf through the woods. He flees to Skull Gorge Bridge as mentioned in the module.
Notes: It is a Perception check, DC 25 to notice the secret door here.

Vraath Vault
Quest: Finding the vault finishes the Vault of Vraath Keep, which may be used as an adventure hook. If the PCs are on this quest, they earn the reward: 1,500 XP.
Treasure: 6 parcels
Notes: The iron bars have 30 hit points, AC 18, Defenses 6 resist all 10 and Break DC 23.

Old Wracklegnaw: level 7, 1,500 XP
Skill challenge or
Old Wracklegnaw, venerable fomorian warrior (MM 110, see notes)
Creatures: One possibility for Old Wracklegnaw is that he is an ancient Fomorian, one of a small clan that found their way onto the prime material plane almost two centuries ago. Modify the read-aloud text to reflect his pale, twisted, deformed body. In this case, his combat statistics would be similar to the fomorian warrior (MM 110), but with a -10 to all defenses, -5 to attacks and damage, and 252 hit points. His long years have mellowed him out some and his alignment is now best specified as unaligned. He would be roughly a level 7 challenge by himself.
If the adventurers take the better route of negotiation, this becomes a skill challenge.
Setup: To convince Old Wrackgnaw to eat the Red Hand horde instead of the PCs, you must remind him of his former glory and the thrill of the hunt.
Level: 7.
Complexity: 3 (requires 8 successes before 4 failures).
Primary Skills: Diplomacy, History, Insight.
Bluff (hard DCs): You try to convince Wracklegnaw using false pretenses, but he is skeptical and stoic in response.
Diplomacy (moderate DCs): You flatter Wracklegnaw and ask forthrightly for his aid. He is intrigued that he someone might actually want his help.
History (moderate DCs): You recall the might of the Twistusks' old hunting parties. Perhaps there is about to be an abundance of “game”.
Insight (easy DCs): You empathize with the old giant. Old Wracklegnaw is an easy read. He longs for one last hunt and one last opportunity to be feared. The first use of this skill reveals the special use of the gauntlet from the keep.
Intimidate (hard DCs): You attempt to influence Wracklegnaw through threats. At the end of his life, it takes more than callow threats of violence to sway him and there is a good chance that failing at an intimidation attempts will simply cause Old Wracklegnaw to attack.
Special: Characters sharing his meal gain a +2 to their checks. Offering Old Wracklegnaw the spiked gauntlet from Vraath Keep instantly earns 3 successes.
Success: Wracklegnaw will do what he can against the Red Hand horde. This includes rounding up his surviving allies and kin from the Wyrmsmoke foothills.
Failure: If the PCs have at least 4 successes and they have not tried to intimidate Wracklegnaw, he simply sends them away, and they earn 1,000 XP for avoiding a fight. Otherwise, he attacks with the intent of driving them out of his campsite and possibly obtaining more meat for his larder.

Skull Gorge Bridge: level 10, 2,504 + 1,500 XP
Quest: Destroy the Bridge: When the PCs see Skull Gorge bridge, or figure out its significance from the map, give them a quest to destroy it. This is a major, level 8 quest, worth 1,500 XP.
Ozyrrandion, young green dragon (level 5 solo skirmisher) (MM 80)
2 hell hounds (level 7 brute) (MM 160)
1 hobgoblin commander (level 5 soldier) (MM 140)
8 hobgoblin warriors w/longbows (level 8 minion) (MM 138)
Creatures: The hobgoblin archers are minions with the same stats as the hobgoblin warriors the PCs encountered in the marauder attack. They are equipped with longbows with essentially the same stats as their longswords: Ranged 20/40 +10 vs. AC; 6 damage. Wyrmlord Koth may also be here if he has fled from Vraath Keep, making the fight even more difficult. Ozyrrandion is large, of course.
If you want to use “real” archers, use the stats for hobgoblin archers (MM 139), but be aware that this makes the encounter a 3000 xp level 11 encounter. That's probably only barely suitable for a fully-rested level 7 party by the DMG guidelines, but this is supposed to be a very difficult fight.
Tactics: The hell hounds and hobgoblins use essentially the tactics the module recommends. Ozyrrandion uses flyby attacks and his breath weapon to weaken the party before engaging in melee. Using his luring glare to send PCs over the bridge railings is a very dangerous tactic, but one he will use if the PCs are making progress on destroying the bridge. Characters next to the gorge when the bridge is destroyed can make a saving throw to land prone in a safe area along the side. Those on the bridge when it collapses, fall. See the section below about being falling off the bridge.
Taking Out the Bridge: This is no easier a task in 4e. See specific details below. If the necessary damage is dealt (destroying the weak spot, 2 adjacent bridge sections, or both towers on one end), the bridge comes down one round later. A Perception check, DC 10 is needed to notice the imminent collapse.
Bridge Walkway (5-foot section): Each section has 300 hit points, AC 20, Defenses 18, resist all 5 and Break DC 43. The weak spot can be found with a DC 25 Perception check, and has 40 hit points.
Guard Tower (5-foot section): Each section has 150 hit points, AC 20, Defenses 18, resist all 5 and Break DC 35.
Falling Off the Bridge: Creatures falling or being pushed the bridge are allowed a saving throw to remain prone on the last intact square of bridge they previously occupied. In sections with an intact railing, characters receive a +5 on this saving throw. A fall deals damage depending on where on the bridge the falling character was. A character above one of the sloping sides of the gorge takes 7d10 damage. A falling character above the water can make a saving throw. Success allows the character to choose whether he lands in the water or on the rocks. Otherwise, determine it randomly. Falling into the water deals 5d10 + 25 damage and the character is now in the water, being washed downstream. Falling onto the rocks deals 5d10 + 50 damage. This is well above the survivable amounts of damage for PCs of the appropriate level so ummm... don't fall.
Treasure: 1 parcel.
Quest XP: As mentioned above, destroying the bridge is worth 1,500 XP as a major quest reward.

Goblin Raid: level 7, 1,500 XP
3 dire wolves (level 5 skirmisher) (MM 264) or 3 rage drakes (level 5 brute) (MM 92)
3 goblin riders (level 5 skirmisher) (custom)
1 hell hound (level 7 brute) (MM 160)
Second Wave: level 8, 1,704 XP
2 Kulkor Zuul war adepts (level 10 artillery) (custom)
8 hobgoblin warriors (level 8 minion) (MM 138)
Tactics: The war adepts are much simpler now, but the overall tactics of the raiders remain the same.
Notes: Again, the goblins could ride rage drakes instead. As the module mentions, you could re-use this encounter several times with modifications for bloodthirsty groups of players.

Chimera Attack: level 7, 1,600 XP
2 blackspawn raiders (dragonborn gladiators) (level 10 soldier) (MM 86)
2 griffons (level 7 brute) (MM 147)
Creatures: A chimera is a level 15 elite monster in 4e, clearly inappropriate for this stage of the adventure. You could customize the chimera to make it it a lower-level solo, or just follow these recommendations and have the attack be from blackspawn raiders mounted on griffons. Alternately, you could re-run the goblin raid encounter with some changes. (A worg instead of a hell hound, blood ghost berserkers or kulkor zuul mindbenders instead of the war adepts, etc.)
Tactics: The dragonborn are thirsty for combat, and they dismount and fight from the ground as the griffons charge from the air.

Desperate Council: level 7, up to 1,500 XP
This can play out as a complicated skill challenge. The initial setup assumes that the PCs are trying to convince the council to flee, but they will have to take this position on their own. There are several courses of action the PCs could argue for.
Setup: To convince the townsfolk to take your preferred course of action, you will have to first convince several hard-headed members of the town council.
Level: 7 (easy DC 15, moderate DC 19, hard DC 23)
Complexity: 5 (requires 12 successes before 6 failures). There are 5 NPCs present, as described in the module. Some of the NPCs may already support the PCs' position and not need to be convinced. The PCs could address 2-3 of their attempts towards each reluctant NPC, and 2-3 towards the group in general.
Primary Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Streetwise.
Bluff (moderate DCs): You try to encourage the NPC to support your position using false pretenses.
Diplomacy (moderate DCs): You argue your position with reason and emotional appeal.
History (hard DCs): You remind the council of similar historical events which support your position. Most will just believe that their particular circumstance is different unless you think of a particularly pertinent example.
Insight (hard DCs): You empathize with the NPC and try to gain their support. This will generally have the effect of reinforcing their existing position but can occasionally sway an opinion.
Intimidate (hard DCs): You threaten the NPC either directly or indirectly. It is counterproductive to intimidate Delora or Soranna, and intimidating these two counts as a failure.
Streetwise (moderate DCs): You attempt to convince your target using information you've gained in the community.
Special: Certain circumstances may count as automatic successes. PCs using Koth's map and notes in support of their position is an automatic success. If Jorr saw the horde's might at Cinder Hill, his testimony counts as two successes. If the PCs fought off the goblin raid or raider attack, each victory counts as a success.
Success: The council decides to back your course of action. See the module for the following events depending on if the PCs advocated fighting, evacuation or talking with the horde. Award 1,000 XP for success and 500 extra XP if the PCs advocated evacuation.
Failure: If the PCs fail to convince the council of anything, the council sends out a delegation to negotiate with the horde. The delegation is ignored and the horde attacks.

Massacre at Drellin's Ferry
If the PCs try to stand up to the horde, run this event. Basically, send increasing waves of hobgoblins at the adventurers until they either get the idea or die.
First Wave: level 9, 2,000 XP
2 manticores (level 10 elite skirmisher) (MM 184)
Second Wave: level 11, 2,900 XP
3 griffons (level 7 brute) (MM 147)
2 wyverns (level 10 skirmisher) (MM 268)
Third Wave: level 14, 4,550 XP
Abithrax, young adult red dragon (level 12 solo soldier) (custom, though similar to MM 82-83)
3 doom fist monks (level 8 skirmisher)
Assault Barge: level 14, 5,360 XP
3 Blood Ghost berserkers (level 7 brute) (custom)
Kulkor Zuul war adept (level 10 artillery) (custom)
2 Doom Hand clerics (level 5 soldier) (custom)*
4 hell hounds (level 7 brute) (MM 160)
3 hobgoblin bladebearers (level 5 skirmisher) (custom)*
20 hobgoblin warriors (level 8 minion) (MM 138)

Total XP for Part 1: 20,466 XP without random encounters or Massacre at Drellin's Ferry
Notes: The party should be midway through level 7 if they've done well in this part.
[/sblock]

Part 2: see below...

Part 3: coming soon

Whoops, getting a little long. Continued in next post.

Last edited:

Benimoto

First Post
Part 4:
[sblock]
PART 4
Notes on Part 4: This part is intended for early level 10 PCs, who will reach level 11 by the end of this part. The main action of this part all takes place during one day, which may be problematic from a healing and recovery perspective. Suggestions are given below for some unusual healing circumstances.

Audience With the Lords: level 10, 2500 xp
major skill challenge
Notes: Divide this up into 3 parts?

Battlefield Resources
Reinforcements: ***
Magic Items: 7 parcels
Healing: Tredora Goldenbow has prayed for and received a special ritual from Pelor for the battle ahead. The ritual takes 10 minues and will fully heal and refresh the PCs as if they had taken an extended rest. The components are rare, but she has enough to cast the ritual twice. (Note that if she is not at the cathedral, she will only be available able to cast it once.)
Notes: The “ritual of healing” is cheesy, but it's my best idea to allow the whole battle to be run in one night.

Save the Walls: level 11, 3200 xp
4 hill giants (level 13 brute) (MM 121)
Creatures: Note that there is errata for the hill giants, bring their club damage to ***
Tactics: The setup where the hill giants are throwing rocks 500 feet to the walls doesn't work in 4e. Consider putting the hill giant a mere 80 feet from the walls and describing the archers on the walls as too cowed by the boulders to lay down any significant fire or too inaccurate to hit their AC.
When the PCs reach the giants, the walls have 700 hit points left, AC 3 (and concealment), Defenses 15 and Resist all 5. They will last the same 25 rounds the module mentions if the giants are left to their attacks.
There is no bonus for higher ground. The giants will fight the PCs if engaged in melee or bloodied by ranged attacks. They will flee if reduced below 30 hit points.
Treasure: 2 parcels

Abithrax's Rampage: level 12, 3500 xp
Abithrax, young adult red dragon (level 12 solo soldier) (custom, though similar to MM 82-83)
Tactics: As mentioned in the module, Abithrax casually terrorizes the city without any significant opposition until the PCs arrive. When the PCs draw his attention, he attacks them using the general red dragons tactics from the Monster Manual (MM 82). As mentioned in the module, he favors those displaying holy symbols of good gods as targets. He only has his breath weapon to fight with from the air, so unless the party is entirely unable to affect an aerial target, he stays in melee, fighting to the death.
Brindol in Flames: This is a good place for a skill challenge.
Development: If Tredora is stationed at the cathedral, she will be available to perform the ritual of healing on the PCs. If she is stationed elsewhere in the city, she is unable to be found before moving to the next part of the battle.
Notes: What level for Abithrax? 11? 12? 13? Does it make a big difference?

Streets of Blood
Setup: The PCs get 1 Lion of Brindol (custom) and 10 town guards (use human lackeys, MM 162, but describe the club as a spear). If they have an alliance with the elves, they can call upon an elven strafing run twice during the battle.
The barricade is physically set up as described in the module. Medium and small creatures can move through the barricade using a squeeze action (PHB 292). Note that squeezing is a separate move action and not part of a normal move. Jumping the barricade requires a DC 40 Athletics check, or DC 20 with a running start. Each square of the barricade can be destroyed by a DC 24 Strength check, or it can be damaged by attacks. Each square has 40 hit points, AC 4, and Defenses 12. A destroyed square becomes difficult terrain, and can be rebuilt in 4 rounds, or fixed by restoring 10 hit points per round of work.
Healing: Allow the PCs to recover as if they had taken a short rest between each wave, even though only 1d4+2 rounds pass.

Streets of Blood, First Wave: level 9, 1928 xp
1 manticore (level 10 elite skirmisher) (MM 184)
2 hobgoblin commanders (level 5 soldier) (MM 140)
6 hobgoblin warriors (level 8 minion) (MM 138)
Creatures: There is only one manticore, since it is elite. The hobgoblin warriors are equipped with longbows with essentially the same stats as their longswords: Ranged 20/40 +10 vs. AC; 6 damage.

Streets of Blood, Second Wave: level 10, 2400 xp
8 Blood Ghost berserkers (level 7 brute) (custom)

Streets of Blood, Third Wave: level 11, 3000 xp
5 bluespawn stormlizards (level 9 brute) (custom)
5 goblin riders (level 5 skirmisher) (custom)

Streets of Blood, Fourth Wave: level 12, 3500 xp
3 greenspawn razorfiend (level 10 elite skirmisher) (custom)
1 Kulkor Zuul mindbender (level 10 controller) (custom)
Creatures: There is only one mindbender.
Notes: If the PCs aren't completely exhausted, consider running this wave regardless of whether the PCs cleared the hatchery in part 2.

Streets of Blood, Fifth Wave: level 13, 3850 xp
2 ghost dire lions (level 8 elite brute) (custom)
3 ghost brute lions (level 8 lurker) (custom)
4 lesser bonedrinkers (level 8 soldier) (custom)
Notes: Hopefully there's no need to run this.

Streets of Blood Development
Streets of blood is a grueling encounter and the PCs are likely depleted of resources at this point. Allow them to find Tredora Goldenbow, where she will perform the ritual of healing to refresh the PCs as if they had taken an extended rest. If she is in the cathedral, then the PCs will exit the cathedral to witness the aftermath of Skather's sniper attack. Otherwise, the PCs receive Jarmaath's telepathic summons to the cathedral square to begin the next phase of the battle.

Sniper Attack: level 11, 3000 xp
Skather, blackspawn ninja (level 14 elite or level 9 solo) (custom)
Setup: Skather lurks in the coffin shop, firing his bow at the unwitting targets below. He has used his assassin's arrow power to kill several soldiers. He has no particular way to knock Lord Jarmaath unconscious, aside from reducing him to 0 hit point, but if you'd like to say that he has used a strange and unusual poison on Jarmaath, go ahead. The mechanics for Skather's superior cover have changed (see PHB 188) but the result is similar. PCs beating Skather's stealth check by less than 10 (he has +18) only learn the rough direction and distance of his attacks, but cannot pinpoint his location. If pinpointed, he will hide again on his next turn.
Tactics: As the PCs draw near, the combat plays out similarly to the description in the module. PCs targetting Skather from the street take -5 to their attacks if they can spot him at all. You may consider rolling for initiative as soon as the PCs draw close to the building and having the war adepts take readying actions. Nobody has any potions to drink or scrolls to use. When the war adepts are bloodied, they will try to flee upstairs, using their tactical teleport ability to avoid the caltrops. The caltrops attack at +15 vs. AC and deal 3 ongoing damage and the target is slowed (save ends both). Skather fights until reduced below 60 hit points, at which point he will try to flee to the fane of Tiamat, as described in the module.

Final Battle: level 12+, 3600+ xp
4 ogre thugs (level 11 minion) (MM 198)
2 hill giants (level 13 brute) (MM 121)
Wyrmlord Kharn (level 12 elite soldier) (custom)
Creatures: The ogres are minions now. Hopefully that won't be too jarring of a shift. As mentioned, any wyrmlords who have fled, or even the Ghostlord are also present for this battle.
Notes: The module's description works great for this battle. Kharn and the hill giants are tanks, but they should eventually go down.

Victory Points:
If the PCs have over 40 victory points, they earn XP for an 11th level major quest (3,000 XP for 5 PCs).
Notes: If the PCs started at level 6, and have done well in the module, then they should make level 11 by this point. This is a very appropriate point for their entry into the paragon tier, so if they didn't make 11 and have been doing well, consider fudging the quest XP to make them level 11.

Total XP for Part 4: 29,628 (33,478 with streets of blood fifth wave).
[/sblock]

Part 5:
[sblock]
PART 5
Notes on Part 5: This part is intended for level 11 characters, who will reach level 12 partway through. If the PCs are not level 11 yet, some random encounters in the Wyrmsmoke mountains may be useful.
Suggestions for random encounters:
6 blackspawn raiders (see guard barracks)
8 blood ghost berserkers (see part 4)
either ogre encounter group (MM 199)
ettin encounter group (MM 108)
either manticore encounter group (MM 184)
galeb duhr encounter group (MM 114)
level 12 cyclops encounter (MM 112)
The features of the fane are as suggested in the module, with reinforced masonry walls, iron doors, and stone secret doors. The Percetion DC to notice a secret door is 25.
Security is as mentioned in the module. There are a few lower-level encounters where it is specifically recommended that 3 of the blackspawn raiders interrupt the combat, but otherwise it isn't necessary to have too many pointless confrontations with the guards.

The Mark of Tiamat: level 13, 4000 xp
Tyragun, adult blue dragon (level 13 solo artillery) (MM 78)
Creature: Taking his role as guardian of the fane seriously, Tyragun has taken both skill training and skill focus in perception, giving him a +21 modifier instead of the +23 mentioned in the module. (Passive Perception is thus 31). His stats are otherwise the same as the adult blue dragon in the Monster Manual. He no longer has the sound imitation ability, so he is simply making an untrained Bluff check (at +8) to play his little game at the beginning of the encounter. He no longer has any buff spells to cast before combat.
Tactics: Tyragun's simple tactics are essentially the same as in the module. He flies down to a point level with the ledge and uses his breath weapon to bombard the PCs to death. Instead of a wand of fireballs, he now has the lightning burst ability to supplement his breath weapon. If forced into melee, he uses his fury ability, spending an action point to use frightful presence or attack again, when available. He avoids landing if at all possible. Tyragun normally flies level with the cliff ledge, so any stalls will cause a 150-foot fall that deals 75 damage. If he is being repeatedly dropped into the chasm, he will switch to flying 10 squares above the ledge with the PCs, where he can safely land if knocked out of the air.

The Mark of Tiamat: level 9, 2000 xp
Tiamat Trap!
Notes: ***

Dragon's Lair
Treasure: 7 parcels?
Notes:

Foyer: level 10, 2500 xp
3 blue abishai (level 11 skirmisher) (custom)
2 zombie hulks (level 8 brute) (MM 275)
Tactics: The abishai no longer have any of their summoning or spell-like abilities. They will simply harass the PCs with their flyby attacks, preferring to land back on their ledges or otherwise end their turn out of the PCs' reach when possible.
Notes: One more abishai than in the module, but it should fit.

Guard Barracks: level 11, 3000 xp
6 blackscale raiders (dragonborn gladiators) (level 10 soldier) (MM 86)
Creatures: Use the stats for dragonborn gladiators, but change their description and the damage type of their breath weapon to reflect their black dragon heritage.
Tactics: No potions, no oils. The gladiators follow their Monster Manual tactics in combat.
Notes: Should I use 4 dragonborn raiders instead of 6 gladiators? Should they have a more varied group?

Torture Chamber: level 11, 3000 xp
4 chain devils (level 11 skirmisher) (MM 62)
4 legion devil hellguards (level 11 minon) (MM 64)
Tactics: Disregard the module tactics and use the chain devil tactics from the Monster Manual.
Notes: Bone devils are much to high level now and chain devils are better torturers anyways. This is a small room for 8 enemies.

Priest Cells: level 11, 2928 xp
2 red hand warpriests (hobgoblin hand of bane) (level 11 elite soldier) (custom)
6 hobgoblin zealots (hobgoblin warriors) (level 8 minion) (MM 138)
Tactics: The clerics still react to intrusion with the same amount of shock and rage, but their tactics are much more straightforward.
Notes: Same old hobgoblin minions they've been fighting the whole adventure, just dressed in cleric's clothing now. Should I bother leveling up the minions to level 10 just for the two encounters they'll be in?

Laryssa's Kitchen: level 10, 2600 xp
Laryssa, night hag (level 14 lurker) (MM 151)
2 bearded devils (level 13 soldier) (MM 60)
Tactics: Laryssa uses essentially the same tactics outside of combat. Her Passive Insight DC is 20, if the party tries to bluff her. If she gets the drop on the party, consider giving her the shapeshifting powers of a bog hag instead her own powers, allowing her to appear as an elf (or eladrin) maiden. She has a +13 Bluff skill to maintain this ruse. During a fight, she uses her wave of sleep instead of magic missile. If she renders a PC unconscious, she can use her dream haunting in combat.
Notes: This encounter translated fairly smoothly, but the PCs may be slightly higher level by the time they reach this point. If the confrontation raises a lot of noise, perhaps a guard patrol could interrupt.

Great Temple of Tiamat: level 10, 2500 xp
5 wyverns (level 10 skirmisher) (MM 268)
Tactics: The wyverns use their suggested tactics from the Monster Manual.
Notes: There is no exact conversion for the unhallow or invisibility purge effects in this room. Due the reduced effect of invisibility spells, they may not be necessary, but it is easy to simply add their effects back in to this without a known ritual to create the effects. Again, since the party may be higher than level 10 at this point, perhaps a guard could interrupt and join the battle.

Cavern of the Guardian Spawn: level 11, 3000 xp
3 greenspawn razorfiend (level 10 elite skirmisher?) (custom)
Tactics: The greenspawn use essentially the same tactics, though they do not attempt to sunder weapons.
Notes: Seems like lurkers might be more appropriate here. Still, the razorfiends were great, dangerous fun in my 3rd edition playthrough.

Outer Sanctum: level 13, 3928 xp
2 red hand warpriests (hobgoblin hand of bane) (level 11 elite soldier) (custom)
6 hobgoblin zealots (hobgoblin warriors) (level 8 minion) (MM 138)
2 advanced wraiths (level 10 lurker) (custom)
Tactics: The priests are distracted, and so their Passive Perception DC is only 8. As in the priest cells, the warpriests are more straightforward melee combatants, though they retain a limited ability to dominate foes.
Notes: There are only two wraiths. If you wish to replicate the effects of the aid spell, consider giving all combatants 5 temporary HP and +1 to attack rolls. Non-worshippers of Tiamat using the altar face an attack at +20 vs. Will. If the attack hits, the target is reduced to 0 hp. If the attack misses, the target is stunned (save ends). Aftereffect: the target is dazed (save ends).
The shaft to the inner sanctum will likely be inaccessible to PCs at the suggested levels for this adventure. To solve this, consider the following suggestion: the shaft is enchanted to grant a limited form of flight to those using it. A creature standing in, or on the edge of the shaft feels swirling winds picking up around them. At the end of 3 round, a non-flying creature can fly in the shaft at a speed of 6, as a clumsy flier (see DMG 48). Exiting the shaft or landing ends the effect. Also, as there is the possibility that a PC may be pushed or jump down the shaft in the final confrontation in the inner sanctum, consider reducing the height, since the DMG categorizes a 100 foot fall as “deadly” obstacle. A 50-70 foot fall may be more reasonable.

High Wyrmlord's Chambers: level 11, 3100 xp
2 succubus (level 9 controller) (MM 67)
2 bearded devils (level 13 solider) (MM 60)
2 rot scarab swarms (level 8 solider) (MM 30)
Creatures: In addition to Azarr Kul's two charming consorts, two rot scarab swarms are hiding under the bed in dragon-headed canopic jars. The sound of combat brings them out to attack. They recognize Lucia and Francesca's perfume and will not attack them. Additionally, two bearded devils “coincidentally” appear in the summoning circle if it is still intact at this point.
Tactics: The two succubi use their charming kiss ability to procure unwilling bodyguards, and their domination ability to cause general havoc. They attempt to escape if they are bloodied. The rot scarabs swarm and bite with minimal intelligence. If present, the devils fight as well as they can with their glaives in the cramped quarters.
Treasure: 2 parcels
Notes: This is a very small room, so there may be problems even fitting all these creatures in.

Summoning Room
Notes: This circle counts as a permanent teleportation circle for the purposes of the linked portal and planar portal rituals. The PCs may memorize and use the sigils surrounding this circle for their own use, or they may destroy the circle. The circle has 200 hp, AC 26, Defenses 24 and resist all 10. If the PCs choose to destroy the circle loudly, the succubi in the room across the hall may notice (effective Passive Perception 13, counting the door as a penalty on their check.) If the portal “coincidentally” opens when the PCs are present to release the bearded devils, then it stays open for a round, linked to Tiamat's court in the Nine Hells. PCs entering the portal are in way above their heads.

Treasury: level 13, 4000 xp

Wall of Tiamat's Wrath
Dragonchest Traps!
Treasure: 3 parcels
Notes: This is another difficult conversion. The dragonchest traps shouldn't count towards the main encounter XP, and the wall of wrath should be more interesting and involved. The actual monster(s) should be more like controllers, with some capability to lure or move the PCs into the wall of wrath trap.

Inner Sanctum: level 14, 5000 xp
5 blue abshai (level 11 skirmisher) (custom)
High Wyrmlord Azarr Kul (level 14 elite soldier) (custom)
Tactics: Azarr Kul is now more of a straightforward melee combatant. He engages the PCs in melee straightaway using the tactics noted in his creature entry. The abishai have no summoning ability to use, so they fight by using their flyby attacks. They are aware of the High Wyrmlord's antilife shell ability, and try not to land close to him if he is engaged in melee. If they have managed to escape to this location, Lucia and Francesca cause as much trouble as they can with their abilities. They start the combat fully healed by Tiamat's divine energy. Azarr Kul does not have a particularly good escape plan anymore. Perhaps I should devise one.
Notes: The rushing winds in the chamber cause only a -5 penalty to perception checks. There is no straight equivalent to the unhallow and silence spells, but none are probably necessary. See the notes entry for the outer sanctum for special rules regarding the shaft.

Tiamat's Wrath: level 15, 6000 xp
Aspect of Tiamat (level 15 solo brute) (custom)
Tactics: After manifesting (see notes, below) the apect fights using the tactics outlined in her creature entry. If the PCs flee, the aspect is happy to rampage around in the local countryside, as outlined in the module.
Notes: The sequence of events following the death of Azarr Kul should play out in roughly the same way. Creatures hearing the roar of Timat are attacked at +20 vs. Fortitude and are deafened (save ends) if hit. Any unlucky creatures standing on the pedestal as the aspect manifests are attacked 5 times at +20 vs. Reflex for 3d8+5 acid, cold, fire, lightning, then poison damage in turn, half damage on a miss and then pushed off the pedestal and knocked prone.

Conclusion:
Treasure: 5 treasure parcels

Total XP for Part 5: 44700
Notes:
[/sblock]

When I'm done, I'll probably post a PDF, complete with better-formatted monster stat blocks.

ff6shadow

First Post
First I want to say I love this idea. Red Hand was my groups favorite adventure ever.

Second, I just wanted to combat on the Blood Ghost Berserker stats you worked up. They seem like simple warriors, but they don't have anything that simulate the barbarian rage they had before. Maybe just something like and immediate action attack that does a little more damage than normal when they first become bloodied, and then some bonus damage to their attacks while their bloodied.

Thats all I can think of right now. Pretty tired. Maybe tommorrow, I'll find my copy and try and help out some.

Remove ads