• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Red Hand of Doom 4.0

Benimoto

First Post
ff6shadow said:
First I want to say I love this idea. Red Hand was my groups favorite adventure ever.

Second, I just wanted to combat on the Blood Ghost Berserker stats you worked up. They seem like simple warriors, but they don't have anything that simulate the barbarian rage they had before. Maybe just something like and immediate action attack that does a little more damage than normal when they first become bloodied, and then some bonus damage to their attacks while their bloodied.

Thats all I can think of right now. Pretty tired. Maybe tommorrow, I'll find my copy and try and help out some.
Thanks! I wanted to keep the Blood Ghosts pretty simple, since in their main appearance, there's 8 of them in a single encounter. Still, an extra damaging attack when they're bloodied is a good idea, and would make them similar to the human berserkers in the MM.

Benimoto

First Post
Okay, I updated part 1 with any changes I had. I'm done with my first longer draft of Part 2, but it was too long to insert in the post above, so here it is. Again, I plan to make at least one more editing check through this and I plan to assign specific treasures before running it.

I start this on Tuesday with my group, so hence the rush of activity.

PART 2:
[sblock]
PART 2
Notes on Part 2: PCs who started part 1 at level 6 should be midway through level 7 when they start this part. They should be level 9 (or close to it) by the end of this part.

The Elsir War
This conversion document assumes that you run all of the Elsir War events except Captured! and Into the Horde. The PCs are probably eager to strike at the Red Hand forces after the events of part 1, so feel free to save most of the events until after the main action of this part. If you want specific advice, run Easy Skirmish as the PCs head towards one of the roadblocks on the way to Rhest. Run Dirty Rotten Looters, Mercenary Gold, the Not-So-Sick Spy and Barghest Reavers after they return from the ruins of Rhest at the end of this part. Run Marked For Death after they return from the Ghostlord's lair in part 3, but before they reach Brindol for part 4.
If your PCs are above the recommended levels for each part, you may not need to run these. If they are below the recommended level, feel free to add some more random encounters to earn them more XP.

Easy Skirmish: level 6, 1,204 XP
1 hobgoblin bladebearer (level 5 skirmisher) (custom)
1 hell hound (level 7 brute) (MM 160)
8 hobgoblin warriors (level 8 minion) (MM 138)
Tactics: The hobgoblin warriors are equipped with longbows with essentially the same stats as their longswords: Ranged 20/40 +10 vs. AC; 6 damage. Their tactics play out as described the module.

Dirty Rotten Looters: level 7, 1,350 XP
4 halfling prowlers (level 6 skirmisher) (MM 153)
1 eladrin twilight incanter (level 8 controller) (MM 102)
Creatures: The Crimson Tiger thugs are halflings now, and they are led by an eladrin.
Tactics: The halflings attempt to flee when bloodied. Once at least two flee, the whole group tries to escape.

Mercenary Gold: level 8, 1,750 XP
1 ettin marauder (level 10 elite soldier) (MM 108)
5 goblin skullcleavers (level 3 brute) (MM 137)
Creatures: There is one less ettin and one more goblin.
Tactics: The goblins have no javelins, so they will reluctantly engage in melee when the ettin does.
Treasure: 6,000 gold, a princely sum as described in the module.
Notes: But, the right thing to do is to return that gold and earn valuable victory points!

The Not-So-Sick Spy: level 8, 1,750 XP
1 bog hag (level 10 skirmisher) (MM 150)
2 human berserkers (level 4 brute) (MM163)
12 human lackeys (level 7 minion) (MM 162)
Creatures: Poor Miha is a hag now, making the awesome art useless. Give her skill training and skill focus in Bluff, making her modifier +15. If a fight breaks out, a small mob rises to defend Miha. The PCs may be able to calm the mob as a skill challenge even as they fight Miha.
Tactics: Miha uses the tactics suggested for a bog hag in the Monster Manual.

Barghest Reavers: level 8, 1,728 XP
3 worgs (level 9 brute) (MM 265)
6 hobgoblin warriors (level 8 minion) (MM 138)
Creatures: Due to the lack of barghests in the Monster Manual, we've substituted worgs, which are about at the right level range. The hobgoblin warriors are equipped with longbows with essentially the same stats as their longswords: Ranged 20/40 +10 vs. AC; 6 damage.
Tactics: Lay the encounter out in the same fashion, but since the worgs are much simpler melee combatants than 3e barghests, they will simply engage the adventurers without using any spell-like abilities.
Notes: Instead of 3 worgs, you could use 5 spined devils (MM 66) for a more supernatural encounter.

Marked For Death: level 12, 3,390 XP
2 howling hags (level 7 controller) (MM 150)
4 blackspawn raiders (dragonborn gladiators) (level 10 soldier) (MM 86)
1 ogre skirmisher (level 8 brute) (MM 199)
5 hobgoblin warriors (level 8 minion) (MM 138)
Creatures: The greater barghests have been replaced by howling hags.
Tactics: The setup for this encounter should work as written. While there is no time spent buffing, the hags and blackspawn will hide in an attempt to ambush the adventurers. The hags move just close enough to the PCs to use their shriek of pain and howl attacks, while trying to stay out of melee.
Notes: Saving this for a dull point in part 3 might be a good idea. Perhaps spring this on the PCs at the end of part 3 as the reach civilization after dealing with the Ghostlord. Since this comes later in the adventure, when the PCs will likely be level 9 or 10, it has been increased to a level 12 encounter.

Total XP: 11,172 XP for these optional encounters.

Road Blockade: level 7, 1,628 XP
2 ogre skirmisher (level 8 brute) (MM 199)
2 hobgoblin commanders (level 5 soldier) (MM 140)
6 hobgoblin warriors (level 8 minion) (MM 138)
Combat: As the PCs approach, if they roll under a 10 on their Stealth checks, the blockade lookouts will notice them.
Tactics: There is a reduced opportunity for goblin slapstick, since the minions here will never take enough damage to panic but not kill them. The ladder is DC 0 and there are no rules for accelerated climbing, meaning it is impossible to fall off the ladder.

Spawn of Tiamat: level 7, 1,600 XP
1 greenspawn razorfiend (level 10 elite skirmisher) (custom)
1 greenscale marsh mystic (level 6 controller) (MM 179)
2 greenscale hunter (level 4 skirmisher) (MM 178)
Creatures: Several lizardfolk are hunting nearby and do not hesitate to join the battle, hoping to take down PCs weakened by the greenspawn. The razorfiend is indifferent to the lizardfolk's presence in the battle and is much more likely to attack the PCs, who are more interesting, wealthier and tastier than lizardfolk.
Tactics: The razorfiend uses its leap attack to reach weaker PCs in the back ranks. The lizardfolk stay on the edges of the combat, hoping to pick off weakened PCs.
Treasure: 2 parcels.
Notes: If the lizardfolk are caught and interrogated, they can tell the PCs of the Red Hand's presence in Rhest, and of their black dragon god, Regiarix.

Starsong Hill
Starsong Hill is an opportunity to interact with the Tiri Kitor. Feel free to roleplay and improvise but be aware that it is important to determine how the 4 elves mentioned under the “important people” heading think of the party.
Quest: The Elf Alliance: When the PCs reach this point, you may make them aware that gaining the alliance of the Tiri Kitor against the Red Hand horde is a level 7 major quest, worth 1,500 XP.
Important People: The adventurers can impress some of the elves either with their deeds, or through skill challenges. All the skill challenges should be complexity 1 or 2, and run at the level of the party (7 or 8). The XP for these challenges is folded into the elf alliance quest.
Key skills for Killiar Arrowswift could be Insight, Athletics and Nature. Sellyria Starsinger could respond well to Arcana, Nature and Religion. Trellara Nightshadow is easy to impress, but if you want to make it a check, consider Bluff, Insight and Perception. Illian Snowmantle appears after the funeral and might respond well to Diplomacy, Religion, and History.
Lanikar's Funeral: As there is no more performance skill, Bluff, History, Insight or a raw Charisma check could determine the PCs reception at the funeral. Easy DCs are considered routine and Hard DCs are considered great. Keep a note of how many of each type of success each party member gets.

Random Encounters in the Blackfens: level 6-10, XP variable
At least one random encounter or clash with the lizardfolk may be necessary to have the party reach level 8 by the time they strike at the Rhest town hall. Suggested random encounters for the Blackfens include:
chuul encounter (level 10, XP 2,500) (MM 43)
shambling mound encounter (level 9, XP 1,900) (MM 232)
grick encounter (level 8, XP 1,900) (MM 145)
vine horror encounter (level 8, XP 1,900) (MM 260)
greenspawn razorfiend(s) (see Spawn of Tiamat encounter, above) (level 7)
carrion crawler encounter (level 7, XP 1,500) (MM 40)
otyugh encounter (level 7, XP 1,450) (MM 211)
stirge encounter (level 7, XP 1,500) (MM 248)
harpy encounter (level 6, XP 1,250) (MM 154)

Lizardfolk Huts: level 6, 1,300 XP
1 greenscale marsh mystic (level 6 controller) (MM 179)
2 blackspawn bruisers (level 6 brute) (MM 179)
1 greenscale darter (level 5 lurker) (MM 178)
2 greenscale hunters (level 4 skirmisher) (MM 178)
Notes: Just using the Monster Manual lizardfolk encounter here. Feel free to switch around some of the monsters or replace some with visejaw crocodiles (MM 45) for variety if the party goes on a lizardfolk extermination rampage.

Bell Tower: level 7, 1,400 XP
4 hogboblin archers (level 3 soldier) (MM 139)
4 more hogboblin archers (level 3 soldier) (MM 139)
Korkulan, hobgoblin bladebearer (level 5 solider) (custom)
Creatures: Each wave has one more hobgoblin now.
Treasure: 2 parcels.

The Town Hall
Notes: The town hall can be a challenge to DM. There are a dozen separate creatures here, and combat with any one will alert several others. In 4e, there is almost no concept of a spell or attack that can take out a group of creatures before they have the opportunity to make noise and alert others. Thus, it is almost inevitable that the entire area will be on alert quickly and raring for battle. As a DM, you don't want to (nor is it even physically possible to) have every monster in the area attacking the PCs at once. Instead, throw the encounters at your party in small groups. 2 or even 3 encounters can be grouped into one larger encounter, and the notes sections in each encounter even mention which encounters go well together. Specifically, my advice is to merge the boardwalk and hatchery encounters, have Nurklenak and the ettin fight together, and to have Saarvith mounted on Regiarix.
Remember to allow the party the chance to rest occasionally. Even when the alarm is raised, the Red Hand troops may well occasionally wait 5 minutes to prepare or set up an ambush instead of all streaming out to attack.
The PCs should be 8th level by the time they reach here. If they are not, some random or lizardfolk encounters could be needed.

Roof: level 7, 1,400 XP
4 ogre skirmishers (level 8 skirmisher) (MM 199)
Tactics: As the module states, these ogres should quickly alert the other denizens of the town hall.

Boardwalk: level 5, 1,050 XP
3 ogre savages (level 8 brute) (MM 199)
Creatures: Added one more ogre.
Notes: Even so, 3 monsters is kind of on the low side of challenging, tactically. Unless the PCs are being total ninjas here, the ogres here get the razorfiend from the hatchery to join the fight, pronto.

Razorfiend Hatchery: level 5, 1,000 XP
1 greenspawn razorfiend (level 10 elite skirmisher) (custom)
Tactics: Any noise here will immediately draw the three ogres from the boardwalk into the fight, and eventually alert everything in the whole area.

Ettin Guardpost: level 5, 1,000 XP
1 ettin marauder (level 10 elite soldier) (MM 108)
Tactics: As soon as the mindbender Nurklenak is aware of combat in the area, he will open his door to this room. When the PCs engage the ettin, he will join the combat immediately. Even if he is not forewarned, Nurkelnak will join the fight as soon as he is aware of it (probably on the first round the ettin acts). Any noise will alert Saarvith as well, who will mount up and join the combat in a few minutes.

Interrogation Room: level 5, 1,000 XP
Nurklenak, hobgoblin mindbender (level 10 elite controller) (custom)*
Tactics: Nurklenak should fight with his ettin rather than alone here. If cornered alone here, he will try to find any other allies to fight with rather than facing the party alone.
Treasure: 1 parcel.

Saarvith's HQ: level 3, 800 XP
Wyrmlord Saarvith, goblin ranger (level 9 elite artillery) (custom)*
Creatures: Sarvith's eagle is no longer a threat in combat, but could still be present as background detail.
Tactics: If the PCs have somehow killed everyone else but Saarvith, he surrenders. But, unless the PCs have been superhumanly fast or stealthy, Saarvith will not even be here. Instead, he will be readying his gear and mounting Regiarix in preparation for battle. See the section below for Saarvith's specific tactics when mounted.
Treasure: 2 parcels and a letter.
Notes: Opening the chest in Saarvith's room is a Thievery DC 30.

Regiarix's Lair: level 10, 2,500 XP
Regiarix, young adult black dragon (level 10 solo lurker) (custom, but similar to MM 75)
Creatures: Regiarix is a large dragon now. Assuming the alarm is raised, which it almost surely should be, Saarvith is here on dragonback, lurking in ambush.
Tactics: If the alarm is raised, Regiarix and Saarvith will be lurking underwater, waiting to ambush the PCs. Since he has total concealment in the murky water, PCs beating his Stealth check (typically around 31) with their Perception checks only know that something is lurking in the water. They need to beat Regiarix's check by 10 or more to actually pinpoint him.
It doesn't matter much though since as soon as a reasonable concentration of PCs is in the room, Regiarix bursts from the water, surprising those failing their Perception checks. On the surprise round he breathes on the assembled PCs, spends an action point to use his cloud of darkness, and then uses his move action to fly up and out of the building, an action that those in the cloud of darkness will be entirely unaware of.
Outside, he begins circling the building, either flying low in the air or entirely underwater. If Saarvith is not with him, or falls off during the combat, Regiarix lands near him to pick him up. He prefers to stay in the air, using his breath weapon and Saarvith's arrows to pick off the PCs one by one. Only if the PCs have a clear ranged advantage, or if he has taken half their group out of the battle, does he land to engage in melee. His first round in melee, he uses another action point (if he has any left) to use his frightful presence, and then tears into the party with a double attack. He prefers to keep 1 square between him and the PCs so that Saarvith can fire without drawing opportunity attacks. If reduced below 100 hit points, he withdraws from combat and flies off, taking his rider with him if possible. This makes Regiarix the dragon voted “most likely to return in part 5.”
Treasure: 3 parcels, including the Ghostlord's phylactery.
Notes: The party should be level 8 by the time they attack the town hall, but even so, Regiarix and Saarvith together are a high level 11 fight, a hard fight for that level. If you think they will overwhelm your party, feel free to decrease their levels, have them spend rounds lurking underwater, or suggest that your party withdraw and come back later.

Concluding Part 2
The PCs should have learned of the role of the Ghostlord and realized they have a powerful bargaining chip against him. It is a good time to use most of the “Elsir War” encounters as the PCs travel across the vale towards the Thornwaste. As the module mentions, this is a hook too good to miss. If the PCs somehow fail to find the phylactery, or fail to grasp its significance, perhaps some of the Tiri Kitor could clue them in.
As the PCs return to Starsong Hill, total up their alliance points, as described in the module. If they have 9 or more alliance points, they succeed in the Elf Alliance quest, earning 1,500 XP as mentioned in the description above. They may also earn the use of the giant owl mounts.

Total XP for Part 2: 16,178 XP from the main part, plus11,172 XP from the Elsir War encounters.
Notes: As mentioned, the party should be level 8 by the time they hit the ruins of Rhest. They should be level 9 by the time they finish here (including the Elsir War encounters on the way to the Thornwaste).
[/sblock]

the8bitdeity

First Post
Hello folks,
I too am interested in porting Red Hand of Doom to 4ed, though I've got a few different design considerations. Thoughts are appreciated

- I'm thinking of envisioning the entire story as a heroic campaign. This would take the characters from level 1 to 10.

- As a means of bulking up the material, I was planning incorporating "The scourge of the howling horde" mini-adventure (highly modified).

- I also plan on adding some more elements to bulk the characters up before they hit the Drellis Ferry encounter. Numerous smaller encounters that aren't necessarily serial, that provide hints that something is amiss in the land. All these smaller events / encounters will eventually lead the party to Drellis Ferry to start the main module.

- I'm on the fence if I should allow the prologue section(pre-part 1 of the module) to have "time" elements to it, or be event driven. Meaning, do I allow the characters to do the prologue at their own pace. I'm leaning in that direction, and have the countdown start at the DF encounter.

keterys

First Post
I'd suggest having the timer start at DF, still. I'm guessing your arc would look somewhat similar to mine (I'm doing 3-12, fudging xp a little)

So,
Prologue (Howling Horde) 1-2
Drellin's Ferry / Witchwood 3-4
Rhest and Advancing Army 5-6
Thornwaste 7
Brindol 8-9
Fane of Tiamat 10

Say.

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do about the hydra. It's too early in the adventure (and 4e familiarity) for me to throw a solo higher level than the party at them, I think. Hrmm.

Last edited:

the8bitdeity

First Post
Why not simply make a lower level hydra, and I don't mean level decrement the existing hydra. Just make a level 4 solo brute. Take the "taste" of the hydra attacks from the existing hydra entries, and try to scale them towards the capabilities of a level 4 solo brute. Perhaps use the Adult Kruthik as a starting point, then add the solo template. Re-flavour the powers to be a hydra.

That'd be my K-I-S-S idea. Though I don't have too much experience yet in porting.

keterys

First Post
Yeah, my primary consideration is a low level version of a hydra I made (check the last page of this pdf, or the first draft I made earlier in this thread)... or a different encounter entirely.

Where, amusingly, my first pick for a different encounter was a batch of Kruthik. I also considered it as a slight spin on 'Take five deathrattle vipers. Act like their tails are all tied together.'

Benimoto

First Post
Okay, I'm leaving for Origins later tonight so I'll be away from the boards for about a week. I'm almost done with my conversion, so I thought I'd upload what I have. I've uploaded in two parts: one file with the module notes and another with the monster conversions.

I need to do at least one more editing pass, flesh out a few more skill challenges and assign specific treasures, but it should be playable already. Any comments or other feedback is welcome.

I'll be back next week and try to bang out a final version then.

Attachments

• RHoD Conversion 0.90.pdf
    148.6 KB · Views: 896
  • RHoD Monsters 0.90.pdf
    194.6 KB · Views: 638

the8bitdeity

First Post
I wasn't sure if separating the Vraath Keep into multiple encounters was a good or bad idea. I wanted to have a challenge at the Keep, but was afraid that if I overly populated the individual encounters, and the PCs triggered them all, we'd see a TPK (see the Irontooth encounter in KotS).

keterys

First Post
I'm keeping them separate and don't intend for them to combine unless the players choose to*... but fair thing to worry about.

My current plan is for my group of ~6 level 4s to encounter:
1. Goblins and Worgs - 2 Worgs (Level 9 Brutes, 800 XP), 2 Goblin Skullcleavers
2. Manticore (Level 5 Solo, -3 defenses, -5 attack, 2 AP, +3 saves, 260 hp)
3. Minotaur Warrior (Level 6 Elite, 500 XP, -2 defenses, -4 attack, 1 AP, +2 saves, 144 hp) with 1 hobgoblin archer, 1 hobgoblin warcaster, and 2 hobgoblin soldiers
4. Wyrmlord Koth (Bugbear Warlock 6, 500), Bugbear Strangler (250), and 2 x Bugbear Warrior (400)

* I also have no problems having Irontooth delay entering the fight as described in the module, other DMs apparently did.

Boarstorm

First Post
Dangit, Beni, I finally get back into town and get my hands on my books again, and you go and all but finish without me. :)

Good work.

Remove ads