Redbadge's Crypt of the Everflame (IC)

BudroThePious

First Post
Joseph decides to let the ghostly thing attack the still healthy kobold.[sblock=Actions]Free Action: Knowledge (Religion) check.
Standard Action: Delay.[/sblock]

Redbadge

Explorer
7 Neth 4709 (9:14:30) [Round 1]
Fire Pit, Crypt of the Everflame, Serpent Gorge, 40 Miles South of Kassen, Southern Fangwood, Nirmathas

The shadow continues its advance towards the exposed kobold, its form detaching from the walls and floor. It floats away from the wall, rising up and above Snaggle and billowing like a dark cloud. Tendrils of shadowy smoke reach out from its mass, eventually curling around the warded body of the sorcerer. The shield of force interacts particularly favorably against the creature, for it is able to do no harm.

[sblock=DC 10 Knowledge (Religion) Lore]Shadows are silent undead horrors that can fly and float through walls, much like ghosts. Thus, they have the weaknesses, immunities, and traits of other undead.[/sblock][sblock=Actions]Shadow: Fly to D6 (move), attack Snaggle (incorporeal touch, standard)[/sblock][sblock=Fire Pit]
1348856698_fire%20pit%2002.jpg
[/sblock][sblock=Combat Status]
Code:
[B]Init   Creature       AC/ T/FF     HP       Effects
[/B]16     Snaggle        19/14/16    08/08     4 Nonlethal, [I]Mage Armor [/I](600/600)
15     Joseph         16/11/15    [COLOR=Red]02[/COLOR]/11     Delayed
08     Shadow         ??/??/??    [COLOR=PaleGreen]18[/COLOR]/19     
05     Gamble         17/13/15    [COLOR=Yellow]05[/COLOR]/08     Flat-footed, [I]Light [/I]([COLOR=Red]04[/COLOR]/100), [I]Detect Magic [/I](round 2)
04     Lissa          18/14/15    [COLOR=Yellow]05[/COLOR]/08     Flat-footed
--     Nyra           14/13/11    [COLOR=Red]04[/COLOR]/11     Flat-footed
[/sblock]

GM: Each player may go before the shadow acts again.

Last edited:

Courage

First Post
Gamble completes his detect magic spell before turning his attention to the shadow, trying to fully assess the creature.

Once he has determined the full nature of the threat, he tries to apprise the rest of his allies as quickly as he can, shouting out if necessary.

[sblock=Actions]Standard: Detect Magic (Round 3)
Free: Knowledge (Arcana) [Shadow]
Free: Knowledge (Arcana) [Fire]
Free: Knowledge (Religion) Lore[/sblock][sblock=Current Status]Gamble Benguile (Male gnome bard 1)
CG small humanoid (gnome)
Str 8
Dex 14 Con 10 Int 14 Wis 12 Cha 18

Key Skills Acrobatics +0, Bluff +8, Climb -3, Diplomacy +8, Escape Artist +0, Heal +1, Knowledge (Local) +7, Knowledge (Any) +3, Perception +7, Perform (wind instruments or act) +8, Sense Motive +1, Spellcraft +6, Stealth +8, Swim -3

Init +2 Spd 20 ft. Senses Low-light vision (normal light); Perception +7
AC 17, touch 13, FF 15 (+4 dodge versus giants) HP 5/8 Temp HP 0
Fort +0 Ref +4 Will +3 CMB -2 CMD 10
Misc +2 saves versus illusions

Melee Attack club +0 (1d4 -1)
Melee Attack dagger +0 (1d3 -1/19-20)
Misc +1 attack versus reptilians and goblinoids

Currently Wielding Small Club
Current Armor Studded Leather Armor, Buckler, Entertainer's Outfit
Stowed on Person (Sheaths, straps, pockets, etc.) Dagger, Harmonica, Spell Component Pouch, Flint and Steel, 26 gp
Stowed in Packs (Backpacks, belt pouches, saddle bags, etc.) Light crossbow (Nyra), 10 Crossbow Bolts (Nyra)
Current Encumbrance 18.5 lbs (light load) Medium Load 19.51 lbs Heavy Load 39.76 lbs Max 60 lbs

Active Abilities
1st-Level Spells:
0/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Grease)
Cantrips: ~/~
(Detect Magic, Light, Mage Hand, Read Magic)
Spell-like Abilities: 1/1 (
Dancing Lights), 1/1 (Ghost Sound), 1/1 (Prestidigitation), 1/1 (Speak with Animals)
Bardic Performances: 08/14 (Countersong, Distraction, Fascinate, Inspire Courage)

Current Effects and Conditions:
Light (03/100)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Redbadge

Explorer
[sblock=Detect Magic]You've discovered the location of both faint magical auras. One emanates from an item in the fire, and the other from the Shadow. Though you cannot tell the school to which item is aligned, the Shadow definitely has an aura of unholy necromantic air about it. It seems latent necromantic magic has interacted with the recent events in this room to unleash this horror.[/sblock]
[sblock=DC 15 Knowledge (Religion) Lore]Shadows are difficult creatures to deal with. First, they are incorporeal, which means they are not affected by most nonmagical means, though you can still hurt them with holy water and energy damage, such as a flaming torch. Second, they do not deal traditional damage with their incorporeal touch. Instead, they sap the victim's strength. If someone dies from such attacks, they will rise as a shadow as well.[/sblock]
[sblock=DC 20 Knowledge (Religion) Lore]The sinister shadow skirts the border between the gloom of darkness and the harsh truth of light. The shadow prefers to haunt ruins where civilization has moved on, where it hunts living creatures foolish enough to stumble into its territory. The shadow is an undead horror, and as such has no goals or outwardly visible motivations other than to sap life and vitality from living beings. Shadows are created through the gruesome and horrible death of the creature while it was alive. In this case, it seems this shadow formed after one of the villagers, likely terrified of fire, was burned alive.[/sblock]

Isklexi

First Post
Snaggle hops backwards and flings a globe of conjured acid at the shade.
[sblock=Actions]Free Action: 5ft step to B7
Standard Action: Cast Acid Splash[/sblock]
OOC: I won't bother with a damage roll. It takes half damage from attacks so the 1d3 will always deal 1 damage.

Last edited:

Courage

First Post
"Guys. I have an idea. Lissa, why don't you and Nyra recover that key over there (E4)? I'll use mage hand to recover the item in the fire. Then we can haul tail out of here."

[sblock=Actions]Free: Speak.[/sblock]

Etharia

First Post
"I don't see how one can out run a shadow," she says under her breath as she spurs Nyra forward then calls out, "I'll see what I can do."

[sblock=Actions]Free: Speak.
Move (Nyra): Move to E4.
Move (Lissa):
Pick-up key.
Standard (Nyra): Move to B3.[/sblock]

BudroThePious

First Post
Joseph retrieves one of the torches from his pack and waits to see what the gnome is up to.[sblock=Actions]Move Action: Retrieve torch.[/sblock]

Redbadge

Explorer
7 Neth 4709 (9:14:36) [Round 2]
Fire Pit, Crypt of the Everflame, Serpent Gorge, 40 Miles South of Kassen, Southern Fangwood, Nirmathas

The shadow slowly advances towards the retreating kobold, floating up next to both Snaggle and Gamble. The halfling and lion pair that dart in and out of the room also catch the creature's eye.

So many choices...

But the pain originating from the diminutive sorcerer marks it as the greatest threat. The shadow again brushes its dark claws over and along the kobold, in retaliation for the acid attack. The air ripples slightly as one long tendril slips past Snaggle's force bubble. The smoky trail of shadow pierces through the kobold's flesh, seemingly reaching into his very soul. He grows incredibly cold as his strength drains from him, causing his knees to buckle under his own weight. When Snaggle wearily jerks away and the clawed hand finally withdraws, you can all see that your companion is not his usual bouncing self, instead replaced by a weak and tired shell.

OOC: Strength Damage: -2 Strength skills, melee attack, weapon damage, CMB, and CMD.

[sblock=Actions]Shadow: Float to C6 (free), attack Snaggle (incorporeal touch, standard)[/sblock][sblock=Fire Pit]
1349190301_fire%20pit%2003.jpg
[/sblock][sblock=Combat Status]
Code:
[B]Init   Creature       AC/ T/FF     HP       Effects
[/B]16     Snaggle        19/14/16    08/08     4 Nonlethal Damage, 4 Strength Damage, [I]Mage Armor [/I]([COLOR=PaleGreen]599[/COLOR]/600)
15     Joseph         16/11/15    [COLOR=Red]02[/COLOR]/11     
08     Shadow         15/15/12    [COLOR=PaleGreen]17[/COLOR]/19     
05     Gamble         17/13/15    [COLOR=Yellow]05[/COLOR]/08     [I]Light [/I]([COLOR=Red]03[/COLOR]/100), [I]Detect Magic [/I](round 2)
04     Lissa          18/14/15    [COLOR=Yellow]05[/COLOR]/08     
--     Nyra           14/13/11    [COLOR=Red]04[/COLOR]/11
[/sblock]

GM: Players may go again.

Last edited:

Remove ads