• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rediculous adventuring groups...

DevoutlyApathetic

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Are there paraplegics who can move their legs but not arms?

- Olgar "I'm a gamer, not a doctor!" Ooi

I don't think they could be called paraplegics which refers to loss of the lower half of the body. The term would be something different.

The weird no arms thing would be nowhere near as common. Paraplegia generally comes from an injury in the spinal cord. Off the top of my head I think it's like C5 disc or so that just affects the legs but not the arms.

VirgilCaine

First Post
KenM said:
4 Hobbits, a elf, a dwarf, a wizard, a ranger and a fighter............. ;)

How about a human barbarian, a human wizard, another human barbarian, a thief, and an NPC?

How about a human fighter, a cyclops fighter, a human wizard, a human child NPC, and some human bandits?

KRT

First Post
Well there were these 3 half-orc brothers with 18-90+ strengths (2nd edition) see, and while on a strange adventure the party got magically centrifuged see. So there we were all seperated nicely into whatever magical components make up a being and this cracked wizard (who's centrifuge we were in) starts making deals with us about what we would like to have and what we would do for it. Well my character and most of the rest of the party pretty much wanted to be put back together whole, but the 3 half-orcs had ideas. What if they had the power to combine into one huge form on top of all the kooky powers they bargained for. So half-orc number one ends up with metal skin and either a circular saw instead of a left hand that can fire a blade which returns after a strike or a grappling hook and rope or an unlimited number of darts. Half orc number two gave up his head and neck amoung other things to have his face in his chest and could breath acid. Half-orc number 3 could change into a hybrid bearlike creature and had a gem imbedded in his forhead that could generate a forcefield. As you can imagine when these guys combined it was absolutely goofy, and deadly at the same time. The rest of the party was completely normal except when they decided they wanted to have you join in the combination, which was another deal they made, any one of the rest of us could be conscripted in the combining if in contact with them when they did it. After trashing several dungeons the DM decided that he had enough and the half-orcs gradually lost all their powers.

Impeesa

Explorer
Oryan77 said:
I know it's just my preference and who am I to say what's lame or not, but I just can't play in a group that has even a single "quarter this dire that template this" PC. The odds of such a creature being created and the chances of a core racial group allowing such a guy into their band is unlikely...it takes the realism away from the game for me.

The odds of such a creature being created in a magical D&D world are non-zero. When that creature is inevitably created, odds are even more unlikely that it will settle down to a peaceful life of farming, and odds are even slimmer that a small town of farmers would be more likely to allow him into their community than the band of adventurers would be to allow him into their party. By process of elimination, if such a creature exists (and it will), it has basically no other alternative than to be a PC or a prominent foe.

--Impeesa--

Bryan898

First Post
Oryan77 said:
I know it's just my preference and who am I to say what's lame or not, but I just can't play in a group that has even a single "quarter this dire that template this" PC. The odds of such a creature being created and the chances of a core racial group allowing such a guy into their band is unlikely...it takes the realism away from the game for me.

Meh... Impossible stuff happens all the time. If you've ever opened up a package of cards and flipped over each one individually you'd notice they come out in perfect order. The odds of that happening are around 1 in 8.06 x10^67. Now it's obvious that it's engineered to be that way, but the point is if some wizard begins trying to create an abomination like some of the aforementioned PCs the odds are increased dramatically. Suddenly it becomes not so impossible, but actually likely that it could happen. Perphaps that can help from loosing the sense of realism, it works for me. It's not like the Beholder's very believable as is, why not be half modron... ;)

X

xnosipjpqmhd

Yep. The seeming overabundance of dire, celestial, fiendish, half-dragon, fey-touched, whatever type characters is one of my biggest turn-offs regarding the current version of D&D. The whole thing just seems over-the-top. And I can't even imagine trying to explain all of that to a new player.

Granted, I know there are a lot of campaigns out there that aren't run with such an eclectic mix, but most of the story hours I browse are just brimming with 'em! I suppose for really jaded D&Ders, it keeps the game new and different, but for me... nah.

Anyway, just my opinion.

ironregime.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads