• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Refusing to come back from the dead

the Jester

Legend
If you die and someone tries to raise you, and you refuse to return, can someone else later try again?

I don't know that this is addressed anywhere, but I may have missed it.

UltimaGabe

First Post
Sure- there's no reason why not. (If someone makes their save against Charm Person, there's nothing stopping you from casting it on them again, right?) However, the deceased can always choose to not come back, no matter how many times they try.

DiceGolem

First Post
This is especially useful because you know who is trying to raise you. If that NE BBEG Cleric of Destruction and Chaos is trying to raise you, you can choose to wait until someone nicer comes along.

mvincent

Explorer
DiceGolem said:
This is especially useful because you know who is trying to raise you.
Howso?

I've had a particular nasty BBEG kill someone and continuously raised (and rekilled) them until the soul refused to return (a KODT-Black Hands trick). I'm not sure how one could tell who is trying to raise you.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
mvincent said:
Like so:
The Hypertext d20 SRD - the ultimate d20 system reference Home > Magic Overview > Casting Spells > Bringing Back The Dead said:
Revivification against One’s Will

A soul cannot be returned to life if it does not wish to be. A soul knows the name, alignment, and patron deity (if any) of the character attempting to revive it and may refuse to return on that basis.

Kwitchit

First Post
mvincent said:
Howso?

I've had a particular nasty BBEG kill someone and continuously raised (and rekilled) them until the soul refused to return (a KODT-Black Hands trick). I'm not sure how one could tell who is trying to raise you.
PHB page 171, under Bringing Back the Dead. "A soul knows the name, alignment and patron deity (if any) of a character attempting to raise it, and may refuse to return on that basis."

Edit: Ninja'd- but I didn't know it was SRD!

frankthedm

First Post
the Jester said:
If you die and someone tries to raise you, and you refuse to return, can someone else later try again?
Considering your refusal cost someone 5000gp in diamonds, your body might not be well treated.

Remove ads