Regarding ammo

Arkhail

First Post
I'm convinced.

Seriously.

I started a thread about this over at WotC (different name) in order to try to get advice on whether or not to track ammo. So, the secret is, that I have been sort of playing devil's advocate.

As a player, I always tracked ammo. I'm pretty anal-retentive about things and it just didn't seem right to let something like that go. Same with encumbrance and rations.

As a DM, I am a little paranoid about my players' satisfaction. It's a good thing for me and my sanity that they are so easy going. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Yeah but I personally don't like the mental image of my archer walking round over laden with quivers. Hence I'd never want to imaging him carrying more than one.

More realistically he has one quiver and several extra bundles of arrows stored in his backpack with his bedroll and camping gear.

DS

Bagpuss

Legend
They would still take up a huge amount of space. Realistically 30 arrows is probably much more than you would except to find in a quiver. 120 and you are talking a barrel or more full of them.

CapnZapp

Legend
I wouldn't want to play a ranged Ranger in any campaign where I would risk running out of ammo. Because running out of ammo equates to huge nerf that other classes or builds simply never have to face.

Put otherwise, I do not for a second believe ammo requirements to be a parameter that went into the ranged Ranger build design process. (Besides, if it was, it would have been incredibly bad design).

So my belief is that the archer who always has an extra arrow is working at the intended level of power. Any archer that runs out is badly nerfed, with no corresponding counterpart for other classes.

My conclusion is that while the DMG seems to require you to keep track of ammo usage, it doesn't seriously expect you to ever run out.

And with that, I see no reason not to drop any ammo tracking requirements (for mundane ammunition).

Simple as that. :)

Obryn

Hero
That's so over priced if we came across one we would sell it or break it down to make a new item.
I'll note, real quick, that a Gnoll Huntmaster had one of these in my game last night. My ranger player's face lit up like Christmas when he got that quiver. I think it's his favorite magic item ever. :)

-O

Syrsuro

First Post
I'll note, real quick, that a Gnoll Huntmaster had one of these in my game last night. My ranger player's face lit up like Christmas when he got that quiver. I think it's his favorite magic item ever. :)

-O

But would he have ever considered buying one?

It is a very useful item. But it is not worth its price.

If you want something, but it is grossly overpriced - and then find one - of course your face lights up. Because the last thing you want to do is actually have to buy one (at that price).

Carl

Doctor Proctor

First Post
They would still take up a huge amount of space. Realistically 30 arrows is probably much more than you would except to find in a quiver. 120 and you are talking a barrel or more full of them.

I think you're overestimating the size of arrows.

http://tinyurl.com/5wtymm

That's a medium quiver and it holds 12 arrows in their own little dividers. I don't think it's a total stretch to assume that a large one being carried by a Ranger would hold 30 or more. That, and holding an extra 3 bundles of arrows that are bound with twine in your pack isn't a barrel full of them.

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/elven-leather-belt-quiver-10274.html

Here's another one actually... This one came up when I did a search on quivers. It claims to hold 2 dozen arrows, and it looks to be rather small. This is also a hip quiver, not a back quiver, and the hip ones are usually smaller than the back variety.

Last edited:

Obryn

Hero
But would he have ever considered buying one?

It is a very useful item. But it is not worth its price.

If you want something, but it is grossly overpriced - and then find one - of course your face lights up. Because the last thing you want to do is actually have to buy one (at that price).

Carl
Erm, he didn't even know they existed. So I have no idea.

-O

LightPhoenix

First Post
I'm with the crowd that says ignore it. One of the design choices of 4E was to get rid of magical ammo; except in a few very special circumstances (silvered weapons), ammo doesn't do anything. Since it doesn't do anything special, and ammo is essentially free (1gp/30 arrows), it's not worth the time of tracking it.

Remove ads