• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Regarding new Druid animal companions

ShadowMaster

First Post
If a 4th lvl druid has an Ape as Animal Companon. My understanding is that, looking at page 291 of the monster Manual, as a 4HD animal it would have 2 feats. Looking at the feats it has (Alertness and Toughness) it makes sens.

Now, If the same druid gains 2 more lvls. That would give this Ape 2 more hit dices bringing it at 6 HD and giving him access to a new feat. What are the choises of feat we can make. Can I teach it how to use a scimitar and give him Martial Weapon Proficieny (Scimitar). If the answer is yes, then come my real question: Can I cast Flame Blade and have my Ape fight with it (share spell) plus its two other natural attacks?

Thanks for your answers.

Last edited:

youspoonybard

First Post
ShadowMaster said:
If a 4th lvl druid has an Ape as Animal Companon. My understanding is that, looking at page 291 of the monster Manual, as a 4HD animal it would have 2 feats. Looking at the feats it has (Alertness and Toughness) it makes sens.

Now, If the same druid gain 2 more lvls. That would give this Ape 2 more hit dices bringing it at 6 HD and giving him access to a new feat. What are the choises of feat we can make. Can I teach it how to use a scimitar and give him Martial Weapon Proficieny (Scimitar). If the answer is yes, then come my real question: Can I cast Flame Blade and have my Ape fight with it (share spell) plus its two other natural attacks?

Thanks for your answers.

I'm not going to argue against the MWP, but it's going to be hard to do the flame blade part, the spell is cast on yourself. You could share spells it, but the ape would have to stay within 5 ft of yourself at all times.

Magic Slim

First Post
Salut Shadowmaster :)

IMO, the animal companion maybe could learn the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat, but it won't be easy. Here's why (I reiterate, IMO):

- An animal companion isn't more intelligent than it's normal counterpart.
- Such a learning would require that the druid teach the Ape a trick (as per the handle animal skill).
- "Learn to fight with a weapon" isn't on the Handle Animal trick list, but, as it is stated in the skill description, the list isn't all-inclusive.
- The "attack" trick has a DC of 20, and that's pretty basic. Teaching the Ape to fight with a weapon would probably be a DC of 25 or 30.
- Teaching the Ape to attack with a Flame Blade would require to teach another trick, since animals in general are afraid of fire. The DC would be even higher.
- If the Ape finally learns to fight with a flame blade, it could use all of its weapons, but is going to have penalties to hit, unless he takes the Multiweapon fighting feat (assuming he has the required stats).

Slim

Remove ads