• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Regarding Win98 support

Tsyr

Explorer
And the ones of us that do were going to continue regardless of if Microsoft officialy "supported" it or not.

<--- Runs 98 on his laptop because it can't run XP very well, and refuses to go to ME... Also has his parents computer running it for the same reasons.

alaric187

First Post
ME is teh evil. Don't go to that if you've got a stable 98SE install running. It's like MS took 98 and only cruft to it. Mostly non-usable cruft for that. Which is saying something indeed considering their past efforts :)

Alaric

Henry

Autoexreginated
Anyone else notice that the announcement came "conveniently" mere days before the official end of the support? :)

...Almost as if someone would want to scare consumers into upgrading...

...not that Microsoft would do that, mind you.

alaric: don't get me wrong: XP is a very stable, quite nice system. I use it on many systems - but if Microsoft doesn't stop building exploitable remote-control features into the darned thing I'm going to die of a brain embolism before I'm 40. :D Users being dumb is one thing, but leaving systems wide open is irresponsible. Let ME decide third-party if I want to enable remote capabilities, thank you. :( Oh, well.

Last edited:

alaric187

First Post
Henry said:
alaric: don't get me wrong: XP is a very stable, quite nice system. I use it on many systems - but if Microsoft doesn't stop building exploitable remote-control features into the darned thing I'm going to die of a brain embolism before I'm 40. :D Users being dumb is one thing, but leaving systems wide open is irresponsible. Let ME decide third-party if I want to enable remote capabilities, thank you. :( Oh, well.

Yeah, definately. MS needs to concentrate on just the OS part instead of building an OS then throwing in as many utilities as possible. Blaster bounced off my firewall and didn't touch any in-house users systems, but it killed most of my users with a laptop. [sarcasm] Luckily, it was mostly salespeople, who don't know anything about computers. [/sarcasm]

The stabilty of XP compared to anything else by MS, is insane though. Plus, if you run group policy with the high security template, it will lock most everything up. But it should be reversed, with everything locked up and the user activating services.

Alaric

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads