• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Release Schedule 5. Edition?

Sunset

First Post
Are there any news concerning new 5. Edition products?

What will be the next product? Are there any campaign setting intended? Are there new informations?

Iam wondering that the release schedule is so slow for the new edition...

delericho

Legend
There's a "Release Schedule" section on the site - see the top bar.

More specifically, the only D&D RPG book we know about is "Out of the Abyss", which is another 'storyline' (essentially an Adventure Path). IIRC, it's intended to take PCs from 1st to 15th level, similar to "Princes of the Apocalypse".

jamesjhaeck

Explorer
I don't want to turn this thread into another endless debate about the pros and cons of a slow release schedule, but...

Wizards of the Coast has stated that 5th edition isn't going to flood the market with a new splatbook every month. The slower release schedule is intended to decrease rules bloat and increase the lifespan of the game.

Paraxis

Explorer
I think the Unearthed Arcana articles they are releasing for free should count as some new content.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/ and enter "Unearthed Arcana" in the search filter.

From those playtest documents we have

We have 5 new subclasses: Artificer, Spell Less Ranger, Favoured Soul, Swashbuckler, Stormborn

We have 4 new races/subraces: Warforged, Shifter, Changeling, and Minotaur

I know it isn't the same as buying a splatbook every month, but it's free and new content on a pretty regular basis, and more importantly to those who want physical books those articles are all playtest documents for future products so obviously they have some kind of plans for the future and new physical published material.

If I want bloat I play Pathfinder or 4e, I have done so for the past decade or so and honestly I am enjoying the trickle of new stuff for 5e compared to the flood of splat books from older editions.

I would still like some more progress on licensing for 3rd party officially sanctioned materials.

delericho

Legend
I think the Unearthed Arcana articles they are releasing for free should count as some new content.

They certainly count as new content. As indeed should the free PDF players guide for the PotA path.

Though I suppose, technically, the OP did ask about new products. :)

justinj3x3

Banned
Banned
I know disagreeing with WOTC is frowned upon, but I think the fact that this keeps getting brought up is clear evidence that their business plan should be altered. If they aren't going to put out products maybe they should AT LEAST give us an idea of what may be down the road besides one AP at a time. Even if they preface the info with a disclaimer "These are in the plans. They are not definite. Nothing in life is guaranteed. If it doesn't happen don't be mad because we are telling you now it is a plan and sometimes plans don't come to fruition."

To those more into the social media info flow: is there any word that one day the UA articles may see the light as a revised and collected crunch handbook like, you know, Unearthed Arcana?

It would make sense I think, and it may explain those questions in the last D&D survey...

Remove ads