• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

REMEDY Mod Wounds (MoF) vs. REGEN Mod Wounds (MotW)

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
Remedy Moderate Wounds in Magic of Faerun heals 2 points per round for 10 rounds + 2 hp/level. That is 22 hp of healing at 3rd level for Druids.

Compared with Cure Moderate Wounds it is quite effective, as Cure Moderate Wounds averages 12 hp of healing at 3rd level. The tradeoff obviously is speed.

There is a similar spell in MotW "Regenerate Moderate Wounds". It is similar to the "Remedy Moderate Wounds" spell, but it includes a passage which says it only heals wounds received during the spell's duration. Obviously this seriously inhibits the usefulness of the spell as it can't be used in downtime to heal large amounts of damage.

The MoF errata says about Remedy Moderate Wounds - "Make sure same as in MotW or visa versa." Unfortunately this isn't really a clarification at all...

Has anyone else faced this and what ruling did you make?

(Background is there is a player playing a Barbarian 1/Druid 3 in my campaign, who found this spell and wants to cast the stronger version, obviously. It will make a big difference in his healing potential.)

kreynolds

First Post
Cordo said:
The MoF errata says about Remedy Moderate Wounds - "Make sure same as in MotW or visa versa." Unfortunately this isn't really a clarification at all...

The errata is simply suggesting that you pick one version of the spell and stick with it. Personally, I like the one in MoF and think the one in MotW is total crap. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

kreynolds

First Post
Darklone said:
Burn the splatbooks. Include the FR stuff.

You do realize, of course, that the FRCS is in fact a splat book? Also, you do realize that MoF, which you call a splat book, is in fact considered FR stuff? Make up your mind. ;)

Last edited:

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
One additional fly in the soup is that there is a whole line of Regen spells in MotW. kreynolds, are you changing all of them to heal damage received before the spell was cast as well?

photon1966

First Post
So there different versions, maybe different dieties provide a different selection. also if you don't have the FR stuff it matter not. Lots of spells duplicate and contradic each other. The remedy wounds spell is simple a long time heal, not something people can just do at the drop of a hat. Our Druid Maribrarri takes usually two of those and other heals, and uses them when they have the time, which they usually don't until they leave what ever they are attacking or etc. Plus as Remedy requires touch trhough out it the Regenerate ones are useful just before going into battle. Esp if you use Scribe Tatoo rules and then the individual player can activate it on them selves, or make it into a potion if you want to keep to the core rules. What ever, all three spells remedy, regen and cures have there uses and places in a dynamic game world.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Re: Re: REMEDY Mod Wounds (MoF) vs. REGEN Mod Wounds (MotW)

kreynolds said:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Cordo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The errata is simply suggesting that you pick one version of the spell and stick with it. Personally, I like the one in MoF and think the one in MotW is total crap. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

To me that sounds more like a note or instruction to whoever was handling the errata that never got completed and somehow got included in the update instead of the actual errata.

Maybe they had an electronic document with a list of things that needed to be errata'd, and that particular item got overlooked when they sent the final draft in?

However, I do agree that it makes more sense to use the Magic of Faerun version than the MotW version.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: REMEDY Mod Wounds (MoF) vs. REGEN Mod Wounds (MotW)

Caliban said:
To me that sounds more like a note or instruction to whoever was handling the errata that never got completed and somehow got included in the update instead of the actual errata.

Maybe they had an electronic document with a list of things that needed to be errata'd, and that particular item got overlooked when they sent the final draft in?

Possible.

Caliban said:
However, I do agree that it makes more sense to use the Magic of Faerun version than the MotW version.

Exactly. :)

kreynolds

First Post
Cordo said:
Remedy Moderate Wounds in Magic of Faerun heals 2 points per round for 10 rounds + 2 hp/level.

By the way, this is not correct. The spell heals 2 points per round for 10 rounds + 1 round/2 levels. That's a really big difference. You had the total hit points healed calculated correctly though.

Last edited:

Remove ads