• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

REMEDY Mod Wounds (MoF) vs. REGEN Mod Wounds (MotW)

kreynolds

First Post
From the description of the Ring of Regeneration...

This white gold ring continually allows a living wearer to heal 1 point of damage per level every hour

Has anyone ever noticed that this essentially means that you heal 0.03 hit points per round? Man. For a price tag of 90,000gp, that really sucks. Drop the reattaching limbs bit and just give me standard regen or fast healing. :D

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
kreynolds said:
From the description of the Ring of Regeneration...

Has anyone ever noticed that this essentially means that you heal 0.03 hit points per round? Man. For a price tag of 90,000gp, that really sucks. Drop the reattaching limbs bit and just give me standard regen or fast healing. :D

Hey, thats .03 points per level per round. At 34th level you heal 1 hit point a round!

kreynolds

First Post
Caliban said:
Hey, thats .03 points per level per round.

That's the sad part. It's not 0.03 points per level per round. I already calculated how many hit points a 20th level character would regenerate per round, which is 0.03 hit points per round. So, if you're 600th level, you'll get a whoppin' 1 point per round! :D

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
I'm a bit concerned about the Remedy approach as I believe the "Cure X Wounds" series is a "benchmark" series of spells, and as long as you are using it outside of combat, "Remedy X Wounds" would be clearly better.

Yes the "Cure X Wounds" still has it's place when you need quick healing in combat, but when Clerics and Druids hit the mid levels, their healing abilities will be significantly enhanced by memorizing a bunch of low level "Remedy X Wounds" instead of the Cure series, as they probably wouldn't be using the low level Cure spells during combat anyway (and have Cure series wands if that is the case).

Heck, Clerics could even mem the Remedy series and convert to Cure if they wanted to use in combat (at the cost of flexibility).

kreynolds

First Post
Cordo said:
I'm a bit concerned about the Remedy approach as I believe the "Cure X Wounds" series is a "benchmark" series of spells, and as long as you are using it outside of combat, "Remedy X Wounds" would be clearly better.

Sure, it would be better outside of combat. But if you're outside of combat, what does it matter what kind of healing spell you use? You've got all the time in the world to do your healing.

Using a healing spell outside of combat, no matter how powerful the spell is, doesn't impact the system in any big way. Using it during combat, however, does.

The Cure spells heal a hellofa lot more damage in a single round than any of the Remedy spells do, and the usefulness of a spell in combat, my friend, is the real benchmark. That's why the Remedy spells are balanced against the Cure spells. Remedy spells are nice to have in combat, don't get me wrong, but Cure spells pack a lot more punch in a smaller amount of time.

Last edited:

On the other hand - when you start a Reg/Remedy Wounds at the beginning of combat, and one of the characters later drops to -1 or fewer hitpoints out of the range of the next healer, he won`t beginn dying, but instead be stabilized...

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
Re: Re: Re: REMEDY Mod Wounds (MoF) vs. REGEN Mod Wounds (MotW)

Caliban said:
However, I do agree that it makes more sense to use the Magic of Faerun version than the MotW version.
Why? Because the one in MotW is total crap as kreynods says? :)

Remove ads