D&D 5E Removing the bonus action - analysis

JValeur

Explorer
Removing the bonus action - analysis
Okay, so recently Mike Mearls has sparked some controversy and conversation with his comments that 5th edition would work better without the bonus action. At first, I was skeptic, just like a lot of other people on these forums. But then, I started thinking about it. Wouldn’t the game be easier and more fluid, if you didn’t have these weird, unintuitive bonus actions cluttering the playing field? But can it be balanced? Can it actually work?

I decided to dig into the source material and attempt to do it. I’ve made an analysis of all features that make use of the bonus action in the PHB, and converted them to a bonus action-less system. My changes are in the attached document, but most of them can be boiled down to the following:

If a feature says ‘as a bonus action on your turn, you can do XX’, it instead says ‘once on your turn, you can do XX’.

And, to my surprise, I actually didn’t find it hard to do at all. The wording doesn't need to be overly complex, and the balance changes to individual features are miniscule. However, it does raise some issues.
There are three main issues that come to mind, when you think about saying goodbye to the bonus action. These are:

• Spellcasting
  • Two-weapon fighting
  • Stacking bonus actions

Spellcasting
Let’s start with spellcasting, which might sound problematic, but is actually a non-issue. You change the casting time of all bonus action spells from:

Casting Time: 1 bonus action
to​

Casting Time: None

Then you change the rules surrounding casting these spells from:

A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.
to​

Some spells don’t have a casting time. They can be cast on your turn without using your action. If you cast a spell with no casting time, you can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

In effect, this doesn’t change anything at all. You still can’t cast multiple spells of 1st level or higher on the same turn. Easy fix. The only imbalance comes, again, with stacking other things that aren't bonus actions any more, with casting a spell (which we will get into later).

Two-weapon Fighting
This one is a bit trickier. Not because it’s hard to word, but because it has a bigger immediate effect on balance. You change the rule from:

When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you’re holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you’re holding in the other hand.
to​

When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you’re holding in one hand, you can also make an attack with a different light melee weapon that you’re holding in the other hand.

An easy fix, but obviously two-weapon fighting becomes stronger, since you can now use other bonus actions together with the two-weapon attack.

As the rules are before the change, two-weapon fighting is already the strongest choice for characters with only 1 attack (not including feats), and especially so, if they also have the dual wielding fighting style. This change increases that imbalance by not having a bonus action trade-off. However, two-weapon fighting is still inferior in terms of damage output when you consider characters with more than 1 attack.

In the long term, the change is not too significant for classes that gain multiple attacks. It is, however, significant for classes that never get a second attack, and who want to be in melee, such as the cleric and the rogue. The change for the cleric, however, is also neglible because sacred flame will outpace two-weapon fighting from level 5 and onwards. But the rogue does benefit a lot from this change. This leads us to the next issue.

Stacking Bonus Actions
This is probably the biggest change to balance. Where a rogue before would have to choose between dashing, hiding or disenganging, or making that off-hand attack, when deciding how to use their bonus action, they can now do both. And you can easily conjure up situations in your head, where a character might gain the ability to dash or make a bonus attack for free from multiple features, which could make them way too powerful. This can be mitigated with the following general rule:

You can only perform any specific Action once on your turn. For example, you can’t Hide with the rogue’s ‘Cunning Action’ at the start of your turn, and then use the ranger’s ‘Vanish’ action to Hide again at the end of your turn. You can, however, use the ranger’s ‘Vanish’ feature to Hide once during your turn, and the rogue’s ‘Cunning Action’ to also Dash on the same turn. The only exception to this rule is the fighter's 'Action Surge' feature.
Additionally, you can’t benefit from two sources that grant you an extra attack as part of your Attack action. For example, you can’t gain both an extra attack from the berserker’s ‘Frenzy’ feature and the Monk’s ‘Martial Arts’ feature on the same turn. The only exception to this rule is the ‘Extra Attack’ feature.

This rule has the added benefit of not allowing characters to triple dash (which makes a Rogue faster at level 2, than a barbarian at level 5). But wait, you might say, then you can still make some crazy character, like a bard/barbarian/rogue, who would be able to Dash from rogue’s ‘Cunning Action’, go into a rage with the Barbarian’s ‘Rage’, inspire an ally with the bard’s ‘Bardic Inspiration’ make an attack and another attack from berserker’s ‘Frenzy’? The answer is yes, but if you consider a character actually doing all this in six seconds, it is not entirely unrealistic:

The character dashes towards his enemy, while working himself into a murderous rage, emitting a roar that inspires his ally and then throwing himself at the enemy with abandon.

And he wouldn’t be able to do all of it on each of his turns. I don’t think that this would break the game or make that character too powerful, in any way, shape or form. Sure, there might be edge cases where players could concoct some crazy multiclassed builds, but overall the change is not dramatic.

So, to summarize, I think it is actually quite doable to remove the bonus action in 5th edition, and it might even make the game more fluid and easier to keep track off. It does increase the power of some classes, but not in a way that isn’t manageable, if you implement the following (abbreviated) rules:

• You still can only cast one spell of 1st level or higher on your turn.
  • You can’t stack features that grant you additional attacks (except from Extra Attack).
  • You can’t perform more of the same Actions on your turn (except when using Action Surge).

-----

So, what do you think? I am sure I have missed something, but I don't think Mearls' rule change is actually as gamebreaking as it might have sounded initially. Also, I apologize for making a new thread, when there's already one running, but I hope the work done warrants it.

Happy D&D'ing.

View attachment Goodbye Bonus Action.pdf

NOTE: I haven't come around to the wizard, feats and spells in the attached document, but the mode of change should be fairly apparent from what's already there.

discosoc

First Post
It wouldn't be nearly as crazy as it first sounds, but I think a lot of people are tied to the concept simply because it's been around in one way or another for so long.

Shiroiken

Legend
5E could have been designed without bonus actions... but it wasn't. Unlike some, I don't see the problem with bonus actions, and haven't seen anyone delay the game looking for a bonus action to use (unlike minor actions in 4E). The only thing I would like to have seen is the ability to use a bonus action as an action, so long as you can't use the same bonus action twice in a turn (generally less useful, but there are edge cases where an extra bonus action would be worth it). I also would like the ability to use an additional item interaction as a bonus action, instead of a full action (allowing an action as a third object interaction).

Mephista

Adventurer
Eh... as someone who's played games, such as the new World of Darkness, that use basically this same system, I can tell you that stacking free actions isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Not even the proposed Vanish-Cunning Action Hide thing that was suggested above bothers me; multi-classing is its own can of worms that has its own drawbacks for a limited time period. Even the sorcerer's quicken magic can be fixed just by saying "you quicken a cantrip once a turn" and still regular cast anything else before or after the cantrip. Because who cares if a warlock casts no/bonus action Hex then Scorching Ray? Not me.

Bonus-action-attacks is really the only issue I can think of, but that entire subsystem needs to be addressed as off-kilter. It has its roots in the whole Rogue thing, and, frankly, its very hacky to start with. Need to address it all, from class features to feats to TWFing, from bottom up.

As a point of comparison, GURPS 2e (if my memory is right) had 1 second turns. Each turn you could do one action or move. Not both. Some actions (like reloading crossbows) took more than 1 second.

Nice and simple. On your turn, the GM looked at you and you said "I do X."

Not, "I do X, then Y, no, wait, I do X then move, then do Y, oh wait, I have to deal with attack of opportunity first, umm, can I instead do Y before X?"

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Bonus actions are still needed. The reason yall can't see the issue is because 5e also has almost no bloat. You add bloat and more and newer interesting "bonus actions" and you make them all free and can use as many on your turn as you want as long as they have a different effect and you have a high probability of eventually having problems after enough bloat.

You don't need to worry about bonus action restrictions when there is no bloat though. A lot of problems kind of fix themselves when you eliminate the bloat :) But don't think for a second that such "unnecessary features" in a bloatless system wouldn't be the greatest thing ever in a bloat filled system.

JValeur

Explorer
Most of what you have is still a "bonus" action, just without the name.
And a bit more stacking.

I think that's fair to say, and I also think the difference is mostly semantics. I also think, however, that this system is more intuitive for newer players, who are less likely to feel shoehorned into remembering a bonus action they may or may not have access too. This is more: read your sheet, see what you can do, and do what you want. I'm not saying it's the best approach for all groups, but I do think it has merits. I think I'll test it personally.

Remove ads