• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

rending sneak attack

Bad Paper

First Post
If a creature has a claw/claw/rend attack and the sneak attack ability, does it get the sneak attack damage on the rend attack? My hunch is "no," because there's no attack roll for the rend, so there's no way to perform a "precise" rend, but...it could be argued that if it scored sneak attacks with each of the preceding claw attacks, then it could get extra damage with the rend. Just bouncing this off y'all to see what you think.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
If it just nailed Sneak Attacks off of two claws and a bite, it doesn't need Sneak Attack on the Rend.

On a more rules-consistent note, I think your analysis is dead-on-- no attack roll, no Sneak Attack.

shilsen

Adventurer
What Korimyr said. If there's no attack roll, there's no sneak attack (the one exception I can think of being a coup de grace by a rogue).

Christian

Explorer
shilsen said:
What Korimyr said. If there's no attack roll, there's no sneak attack (the one exception I can think of being a coup de grace by a rogue).
Yeah, but how much difference is there really between a rend and a coup de grace, in practice?

(Just a joke-the analysis above is correct. I was recalling a horrid dire ape rending the party tank in the game I DM down to about -30. I think the party buried him in a shoebox.)

shilsen

Adventurer
Christian said:
(Just a joke-the analysis above is correct. I was recalling a horrid dire ape rending the party tank in the game I DM down to about -30. I think the party buried him in a shoebox.)

Hah! The PCs in one of my Eberron games encountered two horrid dire apes and one rended the paladin from almost full health down past -10. The only reason he survived is because I have an action point mechanic allowing you to do so. The party warforged had the same thing happen to him in the fight.

Remove ads