• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rent-A-DM

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
For me d&d is a fun game I play with my friends, and I very much hope my friends are there for the enjoyment.

If it becomes a drag we can swap the dm or even take a (lengthy) break.

I guess my pov is that I spend so much of my work time concerning over finances - I'd rather my free time be far removed from all that guff.

Driddle

First Post
Wow. That Boogaloo character must have been a frippin' jeeeeenyus!
I assume he was clever enough to suggest a pay scale that allowed players to buy favors with real cash? The promise of finding a +5 sword, for example, for $20 before the game starts? Or skill bonuses on a per-dollar basis?

DonTadow

First Post
delericho said:
Ideally, we could really use some sort of really good ranking system for DMs, something covering not just rules-fu but also storytelling and table mastery elements. Alternatively, some sort of clearing house where customers can post reviews of DMs they have used in the past. Assuming five grades of DMs, I would then expect to reach at least the second-top grade before considering charging (and, in my arrogance, I would like to believe I am good enough to get there already).

However, restricting it to people who have won championships or people who have made a significant contribution not only vastly limits the field (and especially to those who can actually attend GenCon regularly), but especially the second criterion doesn't really give any great indication of actual skill - Jack Chick has made more contribution to RPGs than most people here, but I doubt he has any skill as a DM (I expect it would be fascinating to find out, though).
The point is that you would need some kind of proof that you are component. Not just for that game, group and person, but to preserve the integrity of dm'n in general. Being a DM is an art form far too many hacks take part in. Perhaps not a definite set of criteria would e needed, but some tpe of uniformed "union" like organization of DMs.

masshysteria

Explorer
DonTadow said:
The point is that you would need some kind of proof that you are competent. Not just for that game, group and person, but to preserve the integrity of dm'n in general. Being a DM is an art form far too many hacks take part in. Perhaps not a definite set of criteria would e needed, but some tpe of uniformed "union" like organization of DMs.

Why not just create an online review database?

Each DM that wants to be an official Pro DM registers with the site (perhaps an entry test or fee). An entry is created for the DM and the players are able to write reviews for each DM.

The site also has the benefit of being able to look up DM's based on location, so prospective players could find a DM near them.

delericho

Legend
DonTadow said:
The point is that you would need some kind of proof that you are component.

Yeah. My comment about Jack Chick was a poor attempt at humour. :)

Not just for that game, group and person, but to preserve the integrity of dm'n in general. Being a DM is an art form far too many hacks take part in.

I wouldn't say 'too many', since it's an almost purely amateur field filled with people engaged in a fun hobby. However, I do agree that the standard of DMs generally is shockingly poor.

In piping, there is a grading system for bands and individuals, with younger players being in a 'Novice/Juvenile' grade, and adults being in one of five grades: 4B, 4A, 3, 2 and 1, with 1 being the best. Where the system breaks down, though, is that it relies entirely on your entry into competitions, and so the vast majority of pipers are ungraded (officially, this places them in grade 4B). This means that while "Grade 1 piper" is a mark of quality, in general you don't have that sort of assurance - you're getting an ungraded piper who could range in quality from shocking to excellent.

As far as I can see, any organised grading of DMs would fall into the same trap - the only way to grade would be at conventions (since one's home group is a poor guide), but the vast majority of DMs don't attend cons, and don't run enough games at cons to get an accurate grading.

You can't do this over the internet, since any sort of test will only cover the 'tangibles' (primarily rules knowledge), when it is my contention that the 'intangibles' have a far greater impact on the enjoyment of the group at the table. And even being able to explain how and why you should do things a certain way is very different from actually doing it.

Perhaps not a definite set of criteria would e needed, but some tpe of uniformed "union" like organization of DMs.

If the market were large enough, all that would really be required would be some sort of central review site. Then, market forces would drive out the bad DMs. As it is, I think the best that could be done would be to have game stores host game days, and for prospective customers to see the DMs at work there (and also at conventions). Even if we did have some rating scheme for DMs, the layman is not going to be sufficiently aware of it (in most cases) to make an informed choice. And, of course, there's no way to make it mandatory for semi-pro DMs anyway.

Isn't the RPGA moving to that sort of grading system (or already there) anyway? I recall some discussion about this for GenCon (except that the independant GM appears to be getting more and more of a squeeze out of late in favor of minis and other options).

The problem with the rating system is that someone has to establish relatively objective criteria, and people rating have to be fair. I've seen some ticked off roleplayers give their DM low marks just because their PC died. If it can work, great.

In the meantime, I know I've got plenty of repeat business at GenCon and other conventions, so there's a form of objective measure right there.

rgard

Adventurer
masshysteria said:
After seeing businesses like Super Suppers and Let's Dish pop up, where people pay to make a meal with their friends under the supervision of a chef, I'm wondering about the possibility of a paid DM.

A bunch of friends get together at a gaming store and each pay a small fee to have a game DMed for them.

The DM has a list of prepared adventure paths, so you just choose the genre you wish to play in: D&D, Modern, Sci-Fi, etc.

This could cater to casual gamers, beginning gamers, people who can't find a group or DM, player looking to try something different.

Thoughts? Anyone tried this? If it was offered at your local gaming store, would you use it?

Never charged anybody to play at the store. Never charged anybody to play in any of my games. Never let anybody charge people to play in their game in my store.

It's yucky...on par with charging to breath the air in the store.

delericho

Legend
Varianor Abroad said:
Isn't the RPGA moving to that sort of grading system (or already there) anyway? I recall some discussion about this for GenCon (except that the independant GM appears to be getting more and more of a squeeze out of late in favor of minis and other options).

For a time at least there was a "Herald Level" test up on Wizards.com. And, I'm sure the RPGA has tried grading systems in the past - but not being a member I have no idea what the status quo is.

The major problem with such a system is that it can only grade those DMs who take part in it, essentially at cons (since the rating a DM's 'home group' give him is highly unlikely to be at all objective), which restricts it to a very small minority of DMs.

The other problem with the test as presented was that it measured only rules knowledge, which is a generally poor guide to the quality of the DM as a whole. Solid rules knowledge is a necessary pre-requisite of being a really good DM, but in itself it is far from a sufficient condition. Indeed, of all the skills required, I consider it pretty much the least important (and, conversely, the easiest to improve).

delericho

Legend
rgard said:
It's yucky...on par with charging to breath the air in the store.

Now, why is that? I can understand not being willing to pay to play, and I can understand not permitting people to charge in your store, but why is the entire concept 'yucky'?

Surely it's just a skilled artisan offering a service that otherwise wouldn't have been available, a service that requires a degree of investment in time, dedication and talent to provide?

(I don't think I've seen the notion suggested that a DM should charge his 'regular group' to play, assuming he has such a thing. Given that one needs to exercise a skill regularly to keep it sharp, and given that that 'regular group' are likely to be friends of the DM, I can understand a distaste for such an arrangement. But the concept itself of 'pay to play'?)

Driddle

First Post
It's been my experience that coaches, teachers, craftsmen, consultants and such at the mid professional level tend to charge $30-$50 per basic "unit" of their efforts -- a music lesson, for example, or a small marble created by a glassblower. Or consider editors who charge per word, hour or page, depending on the task (and region, of course).

What would be the appropriate scale for a pro DM? Some sort of $-per-XP equation, for instance, an hourly basis, or non-specific "contribution" based on the consumer's satisfaction?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads