• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Repost] Nevermore: d20 Dreamscape campaign setting: Looking for input.

Rune

Once A Fool
jaldaen said:
Good ideas, but like you said it might be too much for spellcasters... perhaps have a localized Spell Resistance to the dreamscape? In other words have certain places in the dreamscape where magic is difficult to use and other places where it is easier.

Great idea! Consider it lifted!

Echoes

First Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jaldaen
Good ideas, but like you said it might be too much for spellcasters... perhaps have a localized Spell Resistance to the dreamscape? In other words have certain places in the dreamscape where magic is difficult to use and other places where it is easier.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is a very good idea...I was going to suggest it, it's almost like the Werewolf/WoD mechanic for stepping sideways (if you've played the game, you'll know what I mean). In some areas it's hard to step into the Umbragia than in others--very much like a localized resistance.

What kinds of things might change the SR in the dreamworld? Unclear, though it seems clear that the places that are more dreamlike would have higher SRs than places that are more like reality.

And one other interesting thing I've thought of, completely off of the magic thing:

What about microsleeps (these exist in real life, actually)? Instances where a dreamer might only be in the dream world for seconds at a time? Perhaps these might be self-induced at critical times, so as to get a message to someone in the dream world. I don't know what might cover this, perhaps a feat of some sort.

Also along the lines of feats, I'm assuming that some good extra ones might give a +2 bonus to dreamweaving skills, or the like. I'm not sure if this was already discussed on the previous board, but I thought I'd bring it up.

One other big question: We've been talking about arcane spells, but what about Divine ones? Would the dieties be able to grant spells to their dreaming followers? Or would, perhaps, some sort of dreamworld god be responsible for granting all the powers? This could lead to conflict between the waking and dreaming gods.

Laters,
-John-

jaldaen

First Post
Echoes said:
I think this is a very good idea...I was going to suggest it, it's almost like the Werewolf/WoD mechanic for stepping sideways (if you've played the game, you'll know what I mean). In some areas it's hard to step into the Umbragia than in others--very much like a localized resistance.

What kinds of things might change the SR in the dreamworld? Unclear, though it seems clear that the places that are more dreamlike would have higher SRs than places that are more like reality.

And one other interesting thing I've thought of, completely off of the magic thing:

What about microsleeps (these exist in real life, actually)? Instances where a dreamer might only be in the dream world for seconds at a time? Perhaps these might be self-induced at critical times, so as to get a message to someone in the dream world. I don't know what might cover this, perhaps a feat of some sort.

Also along the lines of feats, I'm assuming that some good extra ones might give a +2 bonus to dreamweaving skills, or the like. I'm not sure if this was already discussed on the previous board, but I thought I'd bring it up.

One other big question: We've been talking about arcane spells, but what about Divine ones? Would the dieties be able to grant spells to their dreaming followers? Or would, perhaps, some sort of dreamworld god be responsible for granting all the powers? This could lead to conflict between the waking and dreaming gods.

Laters,
-John-

Good comments John... As for microsleeps that is an interesting question... I'll have to think upon it. And as for divine spells... I'd lean towards having them granted by the cleric's/paladin's original god... although I could definately see a god of dreams that watches over those in the dreamworld.

Keep up the suggestions...

-Joseph

jaldaen

First Post
Monsters

Thought I'd toss out something else to ponder...

Monsters... how should these be handled in a dreamscape?

Are the monsters dreaming too?

Should there be "native" monsters (I'm leaning towards yes!)?

Any other questions/comments on monster in the dreamworld?

-Joseph

Echoes

First Post
Re: Monsters

jaldaen said:
Thought I'd toss out something else to ponder...

Monsters... how should these be handled in a dreamscape?

Are the monsters dreaming too?

Should there be "native" monsters (I'm leaning towards yes!)?

Any other questions/comments on monster in the dreamworld?

Hmm. I'm thinking a definite yes about the native monsters. The more the merrier. Also, I think that if there might be two dream gods (one good, one bad--the god of nightmares), you could make some dream monsters the spawn of this evil god. Dreaming monsters would be interesting, too, though obviously they'd have to be ones that could dream--ie no slimes or the like.

I think that monsters would look different in the dreamscape, too. More alien, more frightening. Just because it sort of goes along with nightmares and things like that--the monsters are even more frightening in dreams than they could possibly be in real life.

Laters,
-John-

jaldaen

First Post
Re: Re: Monsters

Echoes said:
Hmm. I'm thinking a definite yes about the native monsters. The more the merrier. Also, I think that if there might be two dream gods (one good, one bad--the god of nightmares), you could make some dream monsters the spawn of this evil god. Dreaming monsters would be interesting, too, though obviously they'd have to be ones that could dream--ie no slimes or the like.

I think that monsters would look different in the dreamscape, too. More alien, more frightening. Just because it sort of goes along with nightmares and things like that--the monsters are even more frightening in dreams than they could possibly be in real life.

Laters,
-John-

Actually you hit upon on of the things I had forgot to mention, but that deals more with Nevermore than a simple dreamscape campaign...

Nevermore Concept:

Beyond reality stands Nevermore, the world of dreams, a place where creatures live and die in their sleep. In Nevermore paradise and hell are seperated by but a thought, and change is the only constant.

Dreamlords, good and evil, have for centuries vied for control of the dreamscapes of Nevermore, shaping and deforming the world to their will. They have ruled Nevermore and shaped it to their own will. They were like gods, but stability is a fleeting thing in the world of Nevermore, dreamscapes appear and disappear like storms upon a ever-changing wind.

And so a new age has dawned, the Age of Awakening, the Era of the Otherwise.

Where once the Dreamlords held sway over all that occured in Nevermore, now a growing force of Otherwise shape Nevermore to their own wills be it for good or ill.

On to your points:

As you can see from above I had set up Nevermore as the "gods" of the setting, but I think that I might consider adding in two true gods... for dreams and nightmares.

As for native monsters... I was thinking of them as the spawn of the Dreamlords.

As for slimes and the like (ie mindless creatures)... I think it might be appropriate to have them in Nevermore, but only as the result of a nightmares or dreamweaving/spellcasting. In other words, they are not "naturally" occuring and would dissipate after the nightmare or dreamweaving/spellcasting is over.

As for "real" monsters in the dream world i was thinking that I might make up "dream templates" for them that would adjust their appearence/abilities to be more nightmarish. What do you think about that?

-Joseph

Rune

Once A Fool
Re: Re: Monsters

Echoes said:
Also, I think that if there might be two dream gods (one good, one bad--the god of nightmares), you could make some dream monsters the spawn of this evil god.

Or...you know...one god...if it's crazy;)

Echoes

First Post
"Dream templates": excellent idea.

Crazy dream god: excellent idea.

On an unrelated point: how are you going to handle people who access the dreamscape from methods other than dreaming? Or will there be no other way to enter? I'm talking about spellcasting means or perhaps some sort of drug/trance-induced trip to the dreamscape. Would these people have full access to manipulation of the dreamscape?

Also totally unrelated: Anyone here see Richard Linklater's awesome movie "Waking Life?" It's deeply philosophical and about the boundaries between death/life/dreaming. Not necessarily fantasy-related at all, but great for the kind of surreal mood that one might try to evoke in a campaign involving the dreamscape. And the animation of the movie is wonderful, to boot!

Laters,
-John-

Remove ads