• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

restoration and neg levels

direcow

First Post
I want to make sure I understand the rules regarding restoration and negative levels. Last night, a paladin PC was hit by several spectres and took -2 levels per hit. So he went from level 9 to level 3 (he was hit three times). Now was I correct in saying that he did not get a fort save right away to determine if he lost a level. In other words, neg levels are not like poison, you take the neg levels right away. However, in 24 hours he could take a fort save for each level lost to see if it was permanent. And if he wanted to avoid the saves, he could have a restoration or greater restoration spell cast on him and he would return to level 9 (the restoration spell would take multiple castings since it only gives you one level per casting). If he waited the 24 hours and failed all of his saves, he could still use a restoration or greater restoration spell to get back to level 9, but he would lose any experience points he had accumulated over and above what was necessary to get him back to level 9. Is all of this correct? If not, what am I doing wrong. Thanks.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
direcow said:
If he waited the 24 hours and failed all of his saves, he could still use a restoration or greater restoration spell to get back to level 9, but he would lose any experience points he had accumulated over and above what was necessary to get him back to level 9.

AFAIK Everything you said is correct - the only part I am unsure of is what I quoted above.

Note the highlighted text:

SRD said:
This spell functions like lesser restoration, except that it also dispels negative levels and restores one experience level to a creature who has had a level drained. The drained level is restored only if the time since the creature lost the level is equal to or less than one day per caster level. A character who has a level restored by restoration has exactly the minimum number of experience points necessary to restore him or her to his or her previous level.

And ...

SRD said:
This spell functions like lesser restoration, except that it dispels all negative levels afflicting the healed creature. This effect also reverses level drains by a force or creature, restoring the creature to the highest level it had previously attained.

Bad Paper

First Post
direcow said:
And if he wanted to avoid the saves, he could have a restoration or greater restoration spell cast on him and he would return to level 9 (the restoration spell would take multiple castings since it only gives you one level per casting).

Not exactly true. A Restoration spell *before* the 24-hour deadline will return all levels. A Restoration *after* the deadline returns one level per casting.

Greater Restoration is the bazooka of Restorations; you rarely need such heavy artillery. The casting time and xp cost generally make GR a niche spell.

Remove ads