• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Resurrection City

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Spoilered, since nobody else knows this.
The window that's open is where you entered. The door that's ajar is the library, where you found the book. You haven't checked out the rest of the house.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Kajamba: I didn't feel like cluttering the IC thread, so I'll write it here. I'm more and more of the opinion that McCarthy, as helpful as he acted when the police got there, was mixed up in it horribly. If he wasn't Jack, I bet he knew who it was. First and foremost in my mind is why Mary was allowed to rack up such a large amount of back rent and not be evicted. I wonder if it's really a coincidence that it wasn't McCarthy who was out and about and first found Kelly's body. Also: this is fairly recent I think, so you might not have turned this up: McCarthy owned practically everything in Dorset Street as of 1888. All the victims had connections to Dorset Street - so conceivably they were all known to McCarthy.

Another interesting tidbit was that No. 26, McCarthy's home, and No. 27, his shop, both of which were directly in front of Miller's Court, were owned by another man, McCarthy only leased them. The man who owned the buildings was named M. Barnett. I raised a question on some messageboards about that - is it a coincidence Kelly's boyfriend was Joe Barnett? And that she was killed very soon after kicking him to the curb?

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
That's neat stuff. :) My paper was mostly focusing on the idea of murder as an aesthetic, using Thomas de Quincey's "On Murder Considered as One of the Fine Arts" (I always maul that title) as a launching point into a quasi-imaginative reading of the Ripper murders, so after a point, my knowledge into the murders gets a bit scattershot (hell, after a point the entire paper got scattershot -- the professor told me that it was "baffling" -- oops). I had encountered the bit about McCarthy owning most of Dorsett Street, but not any of the rest. Now that I'm done with school (at least for the next two or three years), I'm going to try and get a hand on it again, do some of the reading that I never finished from that paper.

best,
Nick

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
There's also a good book I have, "The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Companion" (called the "Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook" in overseas editions, why, I don't know, but they're the same book) by Stewart Evans and Keith Skinner, that would be really good to look at for finding out what Diggory knows. The book is all the files and things the police had access to, so all the contemporary notions, and none of the latter-day matters that confuse the issue. ;)

JimAde

First Post
Andrew: I just corrected my character sheet. I didn't calculate Trevor's Reputation bonus correctly. It's +6!

Dilettante +1
Renown +3
Charismatic Hero levels +2

Just thought I'd mention it.

JimAde

First Post
Help! My subscriptions are gone (just like everybody else) and I no longer have a link to the current game thread. Could someone please e-mail it to me at

sluggybunbun (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thanks.

EDIT: Never Mind! I found it. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

JimAde

First Post
Andrew: I'll be out of internet contact from the 17th to the 25th of July. You can either run Trevor as an NPC or have him toddle off to do something on his own. Let me know.

I'm really enjoying this game. It rocks.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Kajamba Lion said:
My paper was mostly focusing on the idea of murder as an aesthetic, using Thomas de Quincey's "On Murder Considered as One of the Fine Arts" (I always maul that title)
Heh, you made a blackly humorous remark there, I think. That story/article whatever was mostly about the Ratcliffe Highway Murders, wasn't it? And that guy used a maul (a large mallet).

Well, I'm kinda on cloud nine, because (as you might be able to tell) you're starting to get into the meat of the plot now.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Andrew D. Gable said:
Heh, you made a blackly humorous remark there, I think. That story/article whatever was mostly about the Ratcliffe Highway Murders, wasn't it? And that guy used a maul (a large mallet).

Well, I'm kinda on cloud nine, because (as you might be able to tell) you're starting to get into the meat of the plot now.
Circle gets the square. :) Yeah, it's a pretty screwy little essay, but it has some funny stuff in it (particularly the parts about philosophers and murder). Yeah, I kind of noticed that things had started to pick up there. Wheels turning, that sort of thing. I'm having a really good time so far.

On a side note, I'm going to be moving over the next two days (NC to NJ tomorrow, NJ to MA Wednesday). I'll be out of touch until then, at least, but possibly until Thursday. So I will catch you all on the flip side.

Best,
Nick

Remove ads