Pathfinder 1E Returning DM to ENWorld

ggeilman

First Post
I made the switch around August myself, but cannot say it is all for the best. I am yet to be convinced but it seems to be where most of the players are today. We tried 4E for about 6 months and didn't like it much. Have no plans to even look at D&D last.

Scotley

Hero
Yeah, for my tastes 4e dumbed down things a little too much. I gave it a shot and I'm still running one 4e play by post, but after giving it a chance, I can say it isn't the game for me. I prefer Pathfinder and enjoy it and 3.5 very much. I've seen both good and bad in D&D Next. I think it is closer to the game I want to play than 4e, but I'm convinced as yet. I do plan to evaluate it objectively.

ggeilman

First Post
We made the system playable and even fun within its own right, it just wasn't D&D to us. If I had my choice I would go back to 3.5 but I can't see my players going back now.

Scotley

Hero
I had some fun playing 4e and I did like the defenses among other things, but I too never felt like it was D&D. I'm still running one 3.5 game and I do think there is plenty of life left in the system, but my experience matches yours, everybody is riding the Pathfinder wave.

ggeilman

First Post
The game does seem to involve waves. It is unclear at what stage Pathfinder is at present. My guess it has yet to crest, but we will see when D&D Next comes out.

Ap0c4lyptyc

First Post
It kind of depended on what mood I was in at the time. I can kind of hop back and forth between 3.5, Pathfinder(3.75) or 4E. 3.5e is where it all started for me, so I will always be kind of partial to it. 4e is good to play with people new to the world of D&D I think, and Pathfinder meshes goodies from 3.5e and 4e which is why it is 3.75 in my mind haha! It's all fun depending on people and place.

Scotley

Hero
I do enjoy gaming be it Pathfinder, 3.5 or 4e. I won't turn down a chance to play any of them and that's part of the reason I am keeping an open mind with regard to Next. I actually started with OD&D and AD&D.

Scotley

Hero
That's a pretty high kill rate. I have been known to run such deadly adventures as the Tomb of Horrors and the old Judge's Guild adventure Dark Tower, so I'm not unfamiliar with killer dungeons. I read Rappan Athuk back in the 3.0 days I think and found it interesting, but I never got a chance to play or DM it (Crap was that more than 10 years ago? Damn, I'm old.) I've heard good things about Slumbering Tsar as well, usually folks praising it as more Sandbox than most of the official Pathfinder stuff. But I've also heard it is deadly. I haven't lost a character in over a year, so I guess I'm over due.

Remove ads