Revamp of the Skills System

haiiro

First Post
SylverFlame said:
Doesn't Cosmopolitan from the FR campaign setting give you two non-restricted skills as class skills? I can't remember off the top of my head.

Versatile, from AEG's Rokugan hardcover, lets you add two non-exclusive skills to your class skill list. Great feat, and not at all Rokugan-specific, IMO.

Khorod

First Post
I've decided to add a small advantage system to my character creation process. Every character gets two advantages, role-playing wise determined by culture/background.

Sample advantages include
martial paragon: You gain a simple or martial weapon proficiency.

and the relevant one... Culture Bred Skill: Chosen skill is a class skill and you get a +1 bonus to its use.

In this way, all Dwarves, everywhere, can take part in a crafting heritage, and all Elves can be wilderness-wise.

Universal Skills:

Spot and Listen are really important skills that are one of the key skill advantages of Rogues and Rangers. Everyone still gets them cross-class, but how do you build a superior forward scout if everyone can match ranks with you?

Aside from making the bard overpowered, what is the justification for universal Craft, Profession, and Knowledge but not Perform?

Ride is not a skill that should be universal to every culture. Maybe some of the weaker skills like Ride, Use Rope, Intuit Direction, and so on should be selectable as a class skill on a case by case, or race by race, basis.

haiiro

First Post
Khorod said:
Spot and Listen are really important skills that are one of the key skill advantages of Rogues and Rangers. Everyone still gets them cross-class, but how do you build a superior forward scout if everyone can match ranks with you?

Aside from making the bard overpowered, what is the justification for universal Craft, Profession, and Knowledge but not Perform?

Ride is not a skill that should be universal to every culture. Maybe some of the weaker skills like Ride, Use Rope, Intuit Direction, and so on should be selectable as a class skill on a case by case, or race by race, basis.

I tend to agree with this line of thought. I don't really like the idea of making too many skills "universal," as it dilutes some of the classes too much for my tastes.

I do like the idea of allowing each PC to have one discretionary skill when created -- in other words, PCs can swap out one skill for a non-exclusive cross-class skill. This skill then becomes a class skill for them.

I also like the idea of allowing multiclass characters to apply skill points to any of their class skills when they gain a level. Just as a single class fighter might not focus on riding when training and adventuring to achieve a new level, a fighter/rogue might focus only on roguish skills even if she gains a fighter level.

Both of these will probably be house rules in my next campaign; neither is original.

Stalker0

Legend
I really like the idea about just dropping the max rank restrictions but keeping teh cross class ranks. While its not my ideal solution, it is much simpler to implement. That way you could have that riding, hiding, spotting fighter, but it would take a lot of skill points (and probably a high int).

That's another reason I would like to see skills changed, for barbs and fighters there no real advantage to getting intelligence. Even if they have skill points, they can't really do too much with them. With an altered system, they might find some use in getting for skils.

Khorod

First Post
The key to the importance of an Intelligent fighter is in his ability to apply his skills in combat in the right way. Whether its making his mount provide best effort or coming up with battle tactics.

I realize this further dilutes his limited skill selection, but if you added a Knowledge[warfare]/tactics to his list, then he could make skill checks to come up with good ideas for combat. Then the DM could do stuff like give some low-key advice about what might occurr to him. That rewards intelligent fighters- since they are the ones most able to create battle plans.

In fact, a well-roleplayed Intelligent fighter shouldn't even need such a knowledge skill. I house rule it in for the sake of mass tactical combat whose results depend on player actions- like Knowledge[warfare] checks to design good tactics or predict how the enemy will attack them.

And yet another rule of mine- since my campaign is a little more high-skill environment, I also added two skill ranks to each class. Haven't playtested enough to see if the rogue deals well with this though :)

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
My idea: All skills cost one skill point per rank, except the exclusive skills, regardless of class.

The cross class skill lists are still used but renamed as "unarchetypal skills". For each level you have in a class that has a certain skill listed as "unarchetypal", you get a -0.5 penalty to that skill up to a maximum of your number of Ranks.

You can then add another skill "break archetype: (insert name of skill here)" which would allow you to offset one of those -0.5 penalties for that skill per rank.

The only thing that is a bit dodgy is that you can basically forget how to do something: You have to keep investing skill points, otherwise as your level increases, your ability to do the skill is diminished by the "unarchetypal penalty". This might be justifiable for spellcraft, but not for a skill like swim :)

Rav

Remove ads