• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RGA1 - Daylight Robbery (Salix? Judging)

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: I've been quiet because I was working on mechanics for Martin, as rgordona doesn't like the way I did the arrays. I found a way that was actually more efficient and flexible while less contestable. Defense Magic stays as it is. All other magic is folded up into a Multi-Power Variable Array from the Staff, giving him 80 points of Magic that he can switch as a Move Action. I'll get the updated sheet up soon. In the meantime, he can definitely absolutely do any of the things he's been doing before, including Scrying, with those 80 points)

"What do you need, Sarge?" Martin asks.

Velmont

First Post
"I would like you to take a look at the jewel. A necklace. I want to be sure you can tack it anywhere he is, and you just need to see it for that. Second, I would like to know if there is magic to it. After the artifact Relic have been after, I am well aware that simple items can be powerfull magical items, so it might explain why it would have such value. Also, if you know any random fact about it.

Mr Akbar, if you would tell us who is teh owner of teh necklace, it would help to understand why someone got interest in it."
tells Sergeant.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Move Action to change the array. Analyse Dweomer is an Accurate Acute Analytical Magic Sense that starts with Awareness and is thus an Exotic sense for the purpose of Subtle)

"Can do. Let me study this. And I'll just...let me see..."

*Martin casts Analyse Dweomer.*

rgordona

Explorer
IN LEEDS

"I am not sure I should tell you who the owner is without her permission. I mean she might not want you to know. But I can certainly show you the piece." Smiles Akbar. He opens the door and calls out to his assistant, "Could you fetch the necklace I have been working on please Lucy. Be careful with it, I have not re-soldered all the links yet."

Lucy arrives quickly carrying an intricate necklace spread around a mannequin bust. It is obvious that the piece is not finished but even so it is clear that it is a master work of design and probably very expensive. "As I said" Explains Akbar "I made it about 10 years ago, but the client has decided to pass the necklace onto her daughter. It needs to be adjusted so that it hangs just right, you know, the length of the chain is critical in fashion, to long or short and it would look completely wrong."

Akbar has appeared quite nervous throughout the interview, as though he were worried or perhaps hiding something, but now he is talking about his work he appears relieved, much more in his comfort zone.

[Sblock=RA]
ra said:
Accurate Acute Analytical Magic Sense
I don't really know what this means, how you think it works or what you are hoping to achieve with it.

Given Magus is somewhere outside the building presumably with Clay I need a little more detail about what actions he is taking as well.

RA said:
In the meantime, he can definitely absolutely do any of the things he's been doing before, including Scrying, with those 80 points

I would suggest being very careful saying things like this, "definitely absolutely" is liable to get my back up especially if it later turns out you are wrong.

Given the conversation on "No Save" which I get the impression will not get approved as a +2 extra as it is too powerful. I am inclined to see Scrying as at least as powerful. It is at minimum an enhanced search power with no save.
[/sblock]

[Sblock=Pheonix]
Sorry I forgot to say Paladin was easily within reach to stroke Ms Greens Cheek.[/sblock]

Someone

Adventurer
Clay continues watching. Nothing tells him that he's being suspicious - being staning in front of a jeweller or some tme and all that. Since he can see all around him, he tries to not e in the same position too long - feigning to be looking at different places.

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=rgordona]I really do mean definitely absolutely, at least if we take a comparison to a more powerful ability that costs less. Consider ESP 9 (Anywhere on Earth, Vision and Hearing) with Mental Quickness 12 (Limited to one action only--searching with ESP). This costs 30 points and can search the entire world as a standard action and take 20 searching the entire world in about a minute (though Magus already has Mental Quicknessx5, so he'd do it faster). Now let's assume the Search check wasn't high enough. Enhanced Intelligence and Enhanced Search could be included as part of the spell, limited to only apply to the ESP Search (Enhanced Traits including skills were voted in by the judges). To reach the Power Level maximum of +26 to Search (total Search check of 46 when taking 20) requires 12 PP for the Int and 13 for the ranks (less if Limited to ESP is a sufficient limiter to get a discount). So the grand total for having the power to Take 20 in Searching the entire world as essentially a full-round action is 55. I knew this (not that I'm ever planning on building that particular power with Magus, mind!) so I assumed that 80 would be plenty for just Scrying. If you like, it's the aforementioned power but limited to only showing you people and objects with which you are familiar. Even if it doesn't give any discount for that, it's still under 80 by enough that I could be confident.

Accurate Acute and Analytical are descriptors for senses from the Super-Senses menu. It basically means he can see and analyse any magic. If there is no magic, it won't help to have that sense ;)[/SBLOCK]

rgordona

Explorer
OOC - I assume that Clay is using at least some of his stealth?

Clay surreptitiously watches the street and the shop entrance. He doesn't spot anything suspicious, no one is hanging around and no one else even enters the building. He does not think anyone is paying him any particular attention, everyone is far to busy shopping to pay attention to a man resting on the street corner.

[SBLOCK=ra]
Rystil Arden said:
Accurate Acute and Analytical are descriptors for senses from the Super-Senses menu. It basically means he can see and analyse any magic. If there is no magic, it won't help to have that sense ;)

Analytical is not in my book. At least I can not find it. But even given your description I need more information, how does it work, what information does Martin actually get if he uses it on a magic item.
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=rgordona]It's a lot like the D&D spell Analyse Dweomer--basically, the description says that you can make acute analysis of anything you sense with an Analytic Sense (which of course must be Acute as well). For instance, an acute visual sense might be able to pick apart the waveforms in the reflected light and analyse exactly what causes all of the distortions and lighting changes, which may help in seeing predicting the location of a creature with Concealment (Visual) even if he actually can't see it. Analytic Hearing could break down tone patterns, resonance, etc. Analytical smell can tell you exactly what sorts of mixtures of chemicals might be causing that odor. So Analytic Acute Accurate Magic Sense can pick apart any dweomer and identify what it does and how it works. If you watch Heroes, Analytical is a little bit similar to Sylar's 'How things work' ability, albeit without eating brains or stealing powers or anything like that.[/SBLOCK]

rgordona

Explorer
[sblock=ra]
Rystil Arden said:
It's a lot like the D&D spell Analyse Dweomer--basically, the description says that you can make acute analysis of anything you sense with an Analytic Sense (which of course must be Acute as well). For instance, an acute visual sense might be able to pick apart the waveforms in the reflected light and analyse exactly what causes all of the distortions and lighting changes, which may help in seeing predicting the location of a creature with Concealment (Visual) even if he actually can't see it. Analytic Hearing could break down tone patterns, resonance, etc. Analytical smell can tell you exactly what sorts of mixtures of chemicals might be causing that odor. So Analytic Acute Accurate Magic Sense can pick apart any dweomer and identify what it does and how it works. If you watch Heroes, Analytical is a little bit similar to Sylar's 'How things work' ability, albeit without eating brains or stealing powers or anything like that.

[See post 95] I don't play D&D at least not seriously enough to know the spells by heart, and I have one set of books. They came in a red box. Comparing things to a d&d spell is unlikely ever to help me.

The rest of the explanation is very clear thank you, however I don't see how you make the leap from breaking things down into component parts to knowing how they work. (Without inventing a whole magic system I am a bit confused as to how magic can be broken down at all.) For example knowing which chemicals are causing an ordure will not necessarily tell you that the gas is a mild hallucinogen, although it might let you recreate the gas in your lab.
[/sblock]

[/SBLOCK]

Someone

Adventurer
rgordona said:
OOC - I assume that Clay is using at least some of his stealth?

ooc: Yes, if by "stealth" you mean "doing his best to look just like a normal guy that's just there and totally not watching anyhing". My former post was more a line saying 'I'm here, reading the thread' than anything else.

Remove ads