Rings of Power -- all opinions and spoilers welcome thread.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Giving Bezos credit where due, he saved The Expanse when it was going to be cancelled, and that show is fantastic.
...then screwed it in the final season. Though, yes, it was nice to have Expanse back for a time.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Hollywood Reporter has a widely shared article from, I think, last week saying that no one is really minding the store there and stuff sort of lives or dies on the whims of the folks nominally in charge, including Bezos. If Bezos wants Rings of Power to continue, it will. Otherwise, it's a coin flip.

At this point in time, they just don't have anyone ruthlessly looking at these stats the way other streamers do.
In this particular case, to get the rights, they had to agree to a full five year run: at this point, they can't cancel without paying the same amount if money as the full production going forward to the Tolkien estate. So, they will probably continue to the end just so they own some content for the cost.

This is exactly the question that I was asking about the statistics that are being touted in this thread. Isn't the fact that Rings of Power saw a 37% drop (but it's still being renewed for a second season) potentially evidence that highly advertised series suffer for poorer completion rates?
I remember reading somewhere that there was a 5 season commitment from Amazon to the Tolkien Estate. Amazon's on the hook for 5 seasons, regardless, so they had better improve their show.

I think I saw that here, come to think of it.

Zardnaar

Legend
I remember reading somewhere that there was a 5 season commitment from Amazon to the Tolkien Estate. Amazon's on the hook for 5 seasons, regardless, so they had better improve their show.

I think I saw that here, come to think of it.

Im sure there's a get out clause of some description but likely they have to pay up.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In this particular case, to get the rights, they had to agree to a full five year run: at this point, they can't cancel without paying the same amount if money as the full production going forward to the Tolkien estate. So, they will probably continue to the end just so they own some content for the cost.
It's also a passion project for Jeff Bezos. Amazon's history is full of stuff that doesn't make much sense to an outsider -- like the garbage interface on their main site -- that he personally is responsible for.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I'm going to leave these links, without commentary, to one of my favorite blogs:

[URLd unfurl="true"]Collections: The Nitpicks of Power, Part III: That Númenórean Charge[/URL]
I would consider this person's work good art criticism if it weren't full of nitpicky side quests.

I think they have some valid points, but there's a lot of opinion wankery going on there.

Remove ads