Rings of Power -- all opinions and spoilers welcome thread.

Zardnaar

Legend
Wow, that is a very opinionated piece. The 37% thing is pretty damning, but I will ignore the rest.

I don't know this guy from Adam. Is he reliable? Biased? I got nothin'.

Anyway, I watched the whole thing and really enjoyed it. I watched it again with my daughter, and it works a lot better not having to wait a week between episodes. I think the first 2 episodes and the last 3 are the strongest.

Looking forward to season 2.

He's kinda biased due to relentless positivity. He's not one of the poo lord type youtubers.

He iscs Hollywood insider as such so his insights into how things work behind the scenes are useful.

Some viewership figures finally out. RoP was a flop, and only 37% of people in the US who started it managed to make it through the whole series: link

Everyone is repeating this 37%. No one is giving any context whatsoever about what it means.

How many people watch the first episode of any series and don't watch to the end? How does it compare with other fantasy shows? How did it compare with other high budget shows? How does it compare to other platforms?

If you don't know the answers to those questions, how can you judge if this is actually good or bad? For all we know, this could be twice as good as Stranger Things, half the rate of The Connors, or on par with Carnival Row. We shouldn't pretend this is a meaningful number without context.

Zardnaar

Legend
Everyone is repeating this 37%. No one is giving any context whatsoever about what it means.

How many people watch the first episode of any series and don't watch to the end? How does it compare with other fantasy shows? How did it compare with other high budget shows? How does it compare to other platforms?

If you don't know the answers to those questions, how can you judge if this is actually good or bad? For all we know, this could be twice as good as Stranger Things, half the rate of The Connors, or on par with Carnival Row. We shouldn't pretend this is a meaningful number without context.

I posted a John Campea video above and he compared it with Stranger Things. Apparently it had a 60% completion rate and he said that number wasn't great.

He usually sources his stuff eg Variety, Forbes, Hollywood Reporter, Deadline etc and leads towards the cup is half full.

I posted a John Campea video above and he compared it with Stranger Things. Apparently it had a 60% completion rate and he said that number wasn't great.

Stranger Things season 1? Season 4? If 60% isn't good, I'm bringing the average way down.

Any way you try and spin it, it's still just an illusion of data. People like to think they're being quantitative, but they're not.

Zardnaar

Legend
Stranger Things season 1? Season 4? If 60% isn't good, I'm bringing the average way down.

Any way you try and spin it, it's still just an illusion of data. People like to think they're being quantitative, but they're not.

Shrugs who knows. The video also points out Rungs of Power did really well with first click metrics. That's important apparently.

Last edited:

From what I can gather, less than 50% season completion typically brings the show into the "risks cancellation" category. For comparison (Netflix shows):

Squid Game S1: 87%
Arcane S1: 60%
The Lincoln Lawyer S1: 56%
Resident Evil: 45%. Cancelled.
First Kill: 44%. Cancelled.
The Irregulars: 41%, Cancelled.

37% is a very poor completion rate for what was supposed to be Amazon's flagship series, and the most expensive TV show ever made.

MarkB

Legend
From what I can gather, less than 50% season completion typically brings the show into the "risks cancellation" category. For comparison (Netflix shows):

Squid Game S1: 87%
Arcane S1: 60%
The Lincoln Lawyer S1: 56%
Resident Evil: 45%. Cancelled.
First Kill: 44%. Cancelled.
The Irregulars: 41%, Cancelled.

37% is a very poor completion rate for what was supposed to be Amazon's flagship series, and the most expensive TV show ever made.
Wouldn't the completion rate tend to drop more for a highly-advertised flagship series? You'd bring in huge numbers initially, people who wouldn't normally consider watching the series except that it's popping up everywhere they look, in their ad breaks, on the side of buses, and at the top of the screen every time they open Amazon - so when it arrives they give it a look, realise that it is indeed not for them genre-wise, and then drop out.

Whereas all those you listed above, aside from Squid Game which got some good word of mouth, didn't receive much publicity at all, so the only people who'd pick them up are people who are already interested in the subject matter.

Zardnaar

Legend
Wouldn't the completion rate tend to drop more for a highly-advertised flagship series? You'd bring in huge numbers initially, people who wouldn't normally consider watching the series except that it's popping up everywhere they look, in their ad breaks, on the side of buses, and at the top of the screen every time they open Amazon - so when it arrives they give it a look, realise that it is indeed not for them genre-wise, and then drop out.

Whereas all those you listed above, aside from Squid Game which got some good word of mouth, didn't receive much publicity at all, so the only people who'd pick them up are people who are already interested in the subject matter.

Not sure guy I referenced earlier said it was a poor rate. He used to work at Collider, gets invited to red carpet events and his friend (Rob Barnett or something like that)was the one who leaked the Star Wars Episode 9 script they didn't use. Seems to generally know how things work behind the scenes. He intended gets called a shill by the usual suspects.

Unlike most youtubers they actually do have contacts.

It's not getting canceled season 2 is already confirmed the kicker will be season 2.

If you don't know the answers to those questions, how can you judge if this is actually good or bad?
The backlash this received and purposeful censorship (non transparency) of the numbers by Amazon initially were obvious to everyone that this was a dumpster fire of a show by many. If you liked it good on you, you're one of the lucky ones, the majority did not. We didn't need the affirmation of the 37% number to know the general public were not interested but now that we do, are you're still trying to defend this show and stick to the narrative that it was well received?

Last edited:

Remove ads