• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rise of the Necromancer IC

"But ofcourse, I'd be happy to awnser any questions you may have for me." Lothoc took a few glasses and handed one to Strum.
Making a slight motion with his head not to drink it yet.
"Then if I may be so bold, there are a few things I would like to ask. First, it has come to my attention that the Baron himself is away on negotiations, would you say he is a man that takes action himself like this all the time?
I would also like to inquire about Sir Volker of the Militairy school, as we plan on going there during our stay here. We would like to know what kind of person he is before we meet him.
Also what can you tell us about the Order of Verity that is stationed here? what kind of person leads them? We have not had much interaction with them back home so it interests me as to how they work here."

Lothoc looks up and thinks for a while, scratching his chin.

"How about you Strum?" he asked as he turned to the young dragonborn. "Anything you would like to ask yourself?"
Strum toke a moment of thought before awnsering
"Dominus Crevasse, what are you busy with at this moment? What is your daily routine like?"

eayres33

Explorer
Hego poured himself a drink, “To answer our young Lord’s question first, currently I am looking over our intelligence reports, while my brother rules this kingdom and leads its armies, and while Patrician Volker makes sure we have the best soldiers in the lands, it is my job to make sure we known when and where they need to be deployed. I am the eyes and ears of this City, and soon of the Alliance.”

Taking a pause to sip from his cup Hego smiled at the boy, “Around half my day is this, looking over reports, writing summaries of my own, the other half is out in the field, talking to my agents and doing some intelligence work of my own.”

“Now to answer your questions, Lothoc, first the Baron is a man of action, while he does delegate lesser duties if he sees a negotiation as important to the security of this land he will usually handle it himself. As to Sir Volker he is as gentle and as kind of soul as you could ever meet, unless you are training under him. He gave me a whipping or two when I was a younger man and I owe him a great debt for those lesions. If you want a meeting with him I will be happy to arrange it. Just let me know.”

Hego took another drink from his glass as he looked into the face of Lothoc, “Why exactly do you care about Verity, they aren’t that interesting of a group. I mean they mean well and they do have the best interest of the Alliance and the other lands at heart, they just lack the will to make the sacrifices needed to secure our lands.”

“Verity are just a bunch of do-gooders who have this pie in the sky view of the world where if you just talk to people and trust them to do the right thing eventually they will.” Hego swirls the liquor in his glass, “at times I admire their faith in the people of this lands but most of the time I just think they are fools.”

Leaning forward in his chair Hego grins, “And Reign Tomas is the biggest fool of them all. I was working with Verity a while back and had discovered a plot to assassinate my brother. I had a plan all set to poison the leader behind the plot, but Reign wanted evidence and Reign want to sneak in and arrest him and have a trial. Long story short Reign went to my brother and instead of us getting our justice, I lost five good men and that leader got away.”

“I think the worst part of it, is that Reign still thinks it was the right thing to do, he thinks the man who wanted to kill my brother getting away and the lives of five of my men was worth doing it the right way, I have no time for men like that.”

Leaning back in his chair Hego finishes his drink and expanded his gaze to the group, “Nor do people like you according to your dossiers.”

GM:
From the insight checks, no one has any reason to doubt anything Hego is saying, or that he is actually Hego.

Lothoc quickly raises his hand towards Kaleban to hush him. Then turns back towards Hego.
"You are correct, at the very least on my part. I agree that People who are afraid to act should not be in a Leading possition."
He looked in the cup and swirled it around abit
"I am amazed though, at how quickly you where able to get information on us.
And while, like my impatient friend here, I am curious as to what those dossiers hold. I do believe you have some questions for is?"

Creamsteak

Explorer
“I think the worst part of it, is that Reign still thinks it was the right thing to do, he thinks the man who wanted to kill my brother getting away and the lives of five of my men was worth doing it the right way, I have no time for men like that.”

Leaning back in his chair Hego finishes his drink and expanded his gaze to the group, “Nor do people like you according to your dossiers.”

"We are of like minds on that. If you can't win playing by the rules you're playing the wrong game. I'm not overly familiar in local affairs, but is there anything Verity does particularly well? Anything they're pulling off that nobody else is? Are they good for something in particular? I'm just trying to become acquainted with local order."

eayres33

Explorer
Hego pours himself another drink and laughs at Kaleban, “You are quite the character Kaleban, even more so than I was lent to believe.”

“I would be impressed too Lothoc, if I had waited for you to come to town to start working on your dossier when you came to town, but like I alluded to earlier soon I will run intelligence for all of the Alliance and its partners, so there are certain people I have already started to pay attention to.”

Turning to Boros Hego paused for a second, “They are very good at taking care of the poor, or at least stringing the poor along until they die. They are a very well run and efficient, they are a tight ship and they rarely leak. They have great influence with the leaders of the City states, and even have pull in the other kingdom. They have done a very good job of consolidating power, while also hiding it. They are as powerful as any City-State, yet they have no major enemies among the major nations. That is quite a feat.”

“But you are right Lothoc,” Hego said as he took a drink, “I do have a few questions for you. One is what is your interest in Reign Tomas, you were heard talking with the half-orc Jhad in the tavern last night about Tomas?”

Hego paused for a moment and looked at the group, “The second was how did you gain admittance to this keep last night, and who were you eating my food with?”

Creamsteak

Explorer
Boros tries to think over the details in front of him and what he's heard so-far. He can't really think of anything particularly noteworthy off the top of his head. He dumbly blurts out, "Oh I bet the answer to both questions is one and the same. Grab a bunch of thieves and sell-swords, sneak them into intelligence headquarters, send them to gather information on someone you wouldn't mind being exposed, and at the same time embarrass the person in charge by showing that they let such people sneak in under his own nose, or make it look like they're working for him. It's probably something like that, right? Unless you're the person we came to see..."

[roll0] Deception

Boros continues to ponder this conundrum in his head.

eayres33

Explorer
Hego looked at Boros for a moment, trying to make sense of the rapid string of thoughts that he had just laid out. Hego let out a laugh, “Not a bad plan either, I might have to use a version of it in the future if the situation warrants.”

Hego nodded to Boros, “But what about your group’s interest in Verity and Tomas, why would someone have you asking questions about them?”

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads