• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rise of Tiamat Supplement is online

MintMMs

First Post
While I'm not bothered about the mechanics of the giant strength items, I did enjoy this snippet from the Potion of Frost Giant Strength

"This potion’s transparent liquid has a piece of a gigantic fingernail from a frost giant floating in it."

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Uhh...guys, isn't there a limit of three magical items that you can attune at any one time? Meaning that even IF you've got fighters who have invested ability increases into strength and belts of foo giant strength show up there's still a pretty high opportunity cost...

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I feel like in 3 years we are going to look abck and say, "Fighters who put stats in STR are doing it wrong". Not jsut because of the "possibility" of these items, but also because HP > STR. A fighter simply gets more bang for buck out of CON than STR.

Eh, I am sure there will be 3 superior magic items for fighters to attune with. Something with flight, some protection item/armor, and some cool weapon like a vopral sword.

Barbarians, on the other hand, shouldn't even consider such items if they plan on going level 20. Those stat ups are just too good.

Eric V

Hero
Yeah, I second this. I don't get the POV that a player was screwed in this situation. Give it to another melee pc and the party is stronger for it.

Except the other melee PC has likely also increased his STR score with is her ability score improvements, or is a dex-based fighter, making the item not worth the attunement.

In 1e, you rolled whatever STR you had, and could never get a 20+ Str that way, so the Girdle of Giant Strength always improved your prowess. Here, it's not just a roll, but a continued investment, and that makes the difference. At least in 3e, the item was always worthwhile.

Paraxis

Explorer
Have you read your own sig lately?

Could you not change my words when you quote me, that is about as basic good manors as it gets.

See when I read my sig, I emphasise the first "use", as in know them and you know use them, not just ignore the ones I don't like and go use a bunch of DM fiat, unless I have to.

Remove ads