• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RJK'S Cairn of the Skeleton King

ethandrew

First Post
Vertexx69 said:
Setting the corpse down before Rupert. "Rupert my friend, perhaps you can tell us more fully what has killed our begotten guide?"

Partially kneeling down before the body, Rupert will initially search the corpse to see if there are any obvious signs as to the cause of his untimely demise. If no obvious answers present themselves, he will be much more thorough, riffling through clothing, looking at the skin as best as possible. As a fortunate concurrant benefit, he will relieve the guide of all his belongings, just to get a better look, of course.

"I will do my best to see if I can figure out what happened here. I have an idea, like I said, I've heard of possible things like this before, but without seeing it in action or seeing the mechanism itself, I cannot be certain. I'll take a few moments to inspect his body, meanwhile, can someone please help with our poor Maigreth? I am terrified about what has happened to her."

[sblock=OOC]Rupert will take 20 on searching the body, so at +18, obviously 38 Search check.

With the strange glowing orb in the ceiling, and the fact that the two things that have walked into the room and made contact with the floor (the guide's body, and the strange furry creature) have been burned or something similar, joined with the fact that our two flying companions (Titus and Reezo) have entered and exited unscathed, Rupert surmises that the trap is triggered by direct floor contact. But he doesn't know where the trigger is or where the attack is from. This is just his hunch.[/sblock]

Nephtys said:

Small fumes smoulder from Maigreth's eyes, as the pupils of her eyes suddenly become snow-white...

[sblock]Maigreth won't notice any difference, nor does this change affect her ability to see.[/sblock]

ethandrew said:
"I will do my best to see if I can figure out what happened here..."

The strange wounds on the watchman's chest obviously come from a creature - a saliva-like liquid can be found on his clothing. Maybe a huge snake or a giant vampire bat, or something alike... As far as Rupert can tell, there's no life in the body before him...

But as the young man is about to investigate the cloaked man's body further...

The door to the room to the south swings open and dozens of grey ghosts swarm out of it...

Wraith_Full_thumb.gif

Towards you, their giant claws raised in bloodlust...

zoons

First Post
"Thank Elohna we brought a cleric." mutters Zanax at the sight of the onrushing ghosts.

Moja crouches. He waits silently, preparing to spring towards any ghost that acts in a menacing way towards him or another party member. If they are tangible, they can be destroyed.

Kafkonia

First Post
Timrek prepares to battle the fiends should they pierce his or his companions' invisibility. Failing that, he will let them pass, knowing better than to provoke a fight without fully understanding his situation.

ethandrew

First Post
Leaving the dead man be for a moment, Rupert methodically unfurls his sling from his side and grabs a few bullets from his pocket. Unsure if these are here with intent or merely in passing, he does not want to be caught more unaware as he already has.

The swarm of wraiths passes through you and through the room without holding...

The giant shouts and cries in panic, slaimming his big fists through the air to catch some of the creatures, but his arms just go through them...

The ghostly horde flies on towards the room with the coffins, and from there apparently further up through the tunnels...

What remains, is you alone in the deserted tomb, sweating and breathing heavily from the heavy shock...

kinem

Adventurer
Anton stays quiet as the ghosts pass by, scared but itching to try to control them. He knows, though, that such an attempt would dismiss the group's spell of concealment.

"Could be routine here. I don't know why they didn't just pass through the door, but maybe they don't fully realize their situation. Or its opening could have been their cue to go through."

If the south door where the ghosts came from is still open, he will look to see what's in that room.

zoons

First Post
Zanax moves to Moja to calm him. Moja is clearly looking for a fight. His back is arched and the hair on his neck is standing straight. His teeth are bared. Zanax places a hand on the shoulder of the Wolf, acknowledging his bravery and good sense not to growl and possibly give the party away.

"Let us learn what we can from the body, and then see where these apparitions came from" suggests Zanax to the party. "Knowledge must be used to our advantage if we are to correct this affrontery to nature".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads