• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue at will powers ?

Mengu

First Post
Depends a little bit on your party composition too. If you have a warlord in the party who can allow for a lot of mobility, you wouldn't need Deft Strike quite as much, in which case I'd go with Piercing Strike and Disheartening Strike.

If you have no Warlord, and a Wizard who likes to use Illusory Ambush, then Deft Strike instead of Disheartening Strike would be the way to go.

Also if you get ample flanking opportunities from your allies and other attack boosts from a cleric or warlord, and have Nimble Blade, then Piercing Strike might not be quite as necessary, and the mobile nature of Deft Strike, and defensive nature of Disheartening Strike may be better.

And as mentioned, retraining is an option every level. So at first level, just pick whichever powers you feel will let you survive better, and you're good to go.

On an unrelated note, I don't much like melee rogues with no Con bonus. They run out of healing surges way too fast. As a matter of fact the first (and so far only) casualy in the game I'm running was a rogue with no Con bonus.

unan oranis

First Post
One of the first, cheapest magic weapons you can get is the "duelist" type - it is great for rogues; as a minor action, once per day, you can get CA over an enemy.

Perfect for those tight spots where you just cant quite get into postion.

Last edited:

Hambot

First Post
how many PC's? My GF started off playing solo. Riposte strike was the best! Bad guys had to attack her every round, so she got off two attacks every turn.

The more allies that can give you CA, the less useful it becomes - then it is all about sneak attack as often as poss.

Istar

First Post
By pulling out my slide rule and refracting the light off the pages in the book, divided by the square of the hypotenuse of any triangle created by the resultant experiment, I find....

Choose whichever you think you'd use more.

Lots of good suggestions in here, but overall, that's what they are. The more important thing to ask yourself is - which do you see yourself doing??

Not having played 4e (in fact 20 years of 2nd Edition) I am trying to find out how these at will powerrs are used.

Riposte Strike I didnt really understand, but if it gives me one extra attack per round whenever someone attacks me, with 18 to 20 Daggermaster Crit range, and things that run of crits, it seems hard to go past this.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
I *love* Piercing Strike.

I'll often just use it over my encounter powers, simply because it hits so often and if I have CA I have competitive damage to a 3W hit that would go vs AC.

Brad

Istar

First Post
Rispote Strike

I am going off this, as the more I read it, the more confused I am.

At least Deft Strike and Piercing Strke make sense.

Riposte Strike seems to run like this, maybe ...???

If you attack this person this turn with this power, and he happens to attack you first in the turn, you get an immediate interupt attack back at him, plus your won normal attack.

If you win initiative then you just get your normal attack, and no attack back at him when he then has his turn.

Is this right, or do I get a reply attack regardless of initiave, in which case, why all the initiative talk ?????????

Istar

First Post
I *love* Piercing Strike.

I'll often just use it over my encounter powers, simply because it hits so often and if I have CA I have competitive damage to a 3W hit that would go vs AC.

Brad

Piercing Strike v.s Reflex instead of Armour Class.

Means the monster / humanoid enemy get probably a small improve to their defensive roll of maybe +2 or +4

Whereas an attack against armour class could be +12 or so due to heavy armour, Dex, Shields etc.

So against monsters it is not so useful as their defence is about the same with Reflex and Armour class.

Am I close considering I know nothing about enemy defence's in 4e

James McMurray

First Post
Means the monster / humanoid enemy get probably a small improve to their defensive roll of maybe +2 or +4

Whereas an attack against armour class could be +12 or so due to heavy armour, Dex, Shields etc.

So against monsters it is not so useful as their defence is about the same with Reflex and Armour class.

Am I close considering I know nothing about enemy defence's in 4e

Usually AC vs. Reflex is going to be a difference of ~2 points. +2 to hit is a big boost in 4e, where bonuses to hit are rarer. If you fight an opponent with a larger difference between the two then you're even better off.

Nail

First Post
If you attack this person this turn with this power, and he happens to attack you first in the turn, you get an immediate interupt attack back at him, plus your won normal attack.

If you win initiative then you just get your normal attack, and no attack back at him when he then has his turn.
No.

Step #1) Attack with Riposte Strike. Do whatever you'd like with your remaining actions. Your turn ends.

Step #2) The monster you hit might attack you. If he does, you immediately get to attack him. You attack occurs before the monster's attack. After you've resolved your immediate interrupt, the initiative order resumes as normal.

Step #3) Eventually, your turn comes up again in initiative, and you can do whatever you want.

EDIT: Put another way, it doesn't matter if your target attacks you before others attack you. That's irrelevant. "Winning Initiative" isn't relevant either.

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
Usually AC vs. Reflex is going to be a difference of ~2 points. +2 to hit is a big boost in 4e, where bonuses to hit are rarer. If you fight an opponent with a larger difference between the two then you're even better off.
Put a different way: There are very few times when the target's Ref defence is higher than his AC. (I'd love to see a list of monsters where this is the case.) So really, attacking Ref is much better than attacking AC.

Remove ads