• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue/Barbarian sneak attack while raging?

WizarDru

Adventurer
Corwin the Confused said:
For you in the "Can CAMP," would you allow a Rogue /Barbarian to rage and open locks? (The rules do not prohibit it.) So if you say no, how is this different. And if you say yes, why is there no concentration required?

Well, straw-man issues aside, it is different in several ways. Unlike sneak attack, cleave or Improved critical, this is a skill use, not a feat or virtual feat (which is what sneak attack is).

Open Lock is a skill that quite obviously requires concentration...so much so that attempting to open a lock requires a full-round action, unlike the previous three feats and similar to a skill use like Handle Animal, Craft or Intuit Direction. Even a hasted character cannot attempt to use the open lock skill more than once a turn, whereas they may be able to take up to five attacks in one turn, if they're high enough in level.

That said, kreynolds is correct. You feel it lacks verisimilitude, and don't wish it in your game. Nothing wrong with that. The only issue I have is that you don't see a rule, and feel that it must be missing, as opposed to explicitly not included. I see it as the rules allowing it, you see it as the rules failing to deny it. It isn't vague, it's not denied. The official rule is allowed, denying the ability is the house rule.

Magic Rub

First Post
kreynolds said:
Here are your two options:

1) A raging barbarian/rogue can sneak attack.

2) A raging barbarian/rogue cannot sneak attack.

Now, for those of you that actually follow the rules, pick one of these. For those of you that know the rules but wanna use a house rule, pick one of these. For those of you that don't care about the rules in this particular case, pick on of these. For those of you that don't even know what a barbarian is :p, pick one of these.

For the record, 1) is correct by the rules. Just figured I'd successfully sneak that in there while raging. :D

lol:D

Magic Rub

First Post
WizarDru said:
....verisimilitude...

(nice!)

Tarnation boy, who dun did teach you to talk like dat? Was is that new school teachin' woman, she's fillin' yer head with poppyKock I tell's ya. Now stay where yer at & I'll fetch my whippin' twich, & beat sum gooder speak in to ya...:p

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
WizarDru and Magic Rub. As I warned Corwin, you're probably better off not supporting me, thanking me, laughing at my jokes, or even acknowledging my existence. Why? Well, apparently...

Uller said:
kreynolds has the uncanny ability to lure people into long arguements about nothing(as this one is). 'Tis best to usually just drop it lest you go mad. You should have seen him(her?) go round and round with Caliban! I fell into an arguement with him a while ago and now I can't even remember what the hell it was about(probably because it was meaningless).

...see what I mean? You guys want people here to like you, right? ;)

IceBear

Explorer
Well, sometimes you do :)

But, unlike when you first came here, I see you also posting less inflammatory than I thought you did at the beginning. And you do make me laugh from time to time, so I think you're alright.

BUT....you can still be difficult :D but then I think we've all had a topic that we just couldn't drop so no one can say they're clean in that department.

IceBear

Last edited:

Magic Rub

First Post
kreynolds said:
WizarDru and Magic Rub. As I warned Corwin, you're probably better off not supporting me, thanking me, laughing at my jokes, or even acknowledging my existence. Why? Well, apparently...

Originally posted by Uller
kreynolds has the uncanny ability to lure people into long arguements about nothing(as this one is). 'Tis best to usually just drop it lest you go mad. You should have seen him(her?) go round and round with Caliban! I fell into an arguement with him a while ago and now I can't even remember what the hell it was about(probably because it was meaningless).

...see what I mean? You guys want people here to like you, right? ;)

Sorry KR, both Uller & you say I can't listen to you, because you're a bad man. So I'm not going to listen to the fact that you told me to not listen to you. You're an evil master mind that is trying to get me to talk about nothing. When I should be talking about D&D which is a far more elevated & enlightened subject which is nigh divine in nature. From all accounts it seems that soon your evil aura will ooze forth from my monitor and have me so confused that I won't know what to do with myself. oh God no!!! it's starting!!! ... can ... feel .. free .. will & sanity slipping a. . . way . . .:eek:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Magic Rub said:

Sorry KR, both Uller & you say I can't listen to you, because you're a bad man. So I'm not going to listen to the fact that you told me to not listen to you. You're an evil master mind that is trying to get me to talk about nothing. When I should be talking about D&D which is a far more elevated & enlightened subject which is nigh divine in nature. From all accounts it seems that soon your evil aura will ooze forth from my monitor and have me so confused that I won't know what to do with myself. oh God no!!! it's starting!!! ... can ... feel .. free .. will & sanity slipping a. . . way . . .:eek:

Nah, the only one you should just ignore is Magus_Jerel.

Kreynolds can be difficult sometimes (as can I), but at least he has a brain and is generally operating on the same level of reality as the rest of us.

Remove ads